The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blues tunings 8 string
Tom Margulies

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 12:32 pm    

Stefan's comment that the forum questions are cyclical and that's why the original members don't post anymore made me laugh... the thread has over 2000 views and one of the viewers was him! But if the thread is beoming tiresome, I am happy to close it. Besides I got lots of good ideas.... cheers. Play the steel and don't fret..

Last edited by Tom Margulies on 20 May 2014 6:38 pm; edited 6 times in total

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 1:52 pm    

For an 8-string, you might want to take your major tuning out to a 9th, as that certainly is "bluesy" and depending on how you have your strings set-up can lead into nice areas for playing.

Ex. E9

Hi-to-low...D-E-B-G#-F#-E-B-G#

Even within something as simple as E9, you can mess around with string orders to suit your particular fancy.

I will sit and think about taking Low Bass G into 8 strings and come back later on.

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 2:50 pm    

I was hoping to see more response to this, as I have the same question.
Following Mr. Abruzzo's suggestion, I retuned my Valco, hi to lo
F# E D B G# E D G#
The particular order of notes was chosen because I could retune from Don Helms' E6 without changing strings. I played around with it for an hour or so this afternoon. Thus far, I like it. Thanks!

--Chase Brady
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGB22R_hYOXh55h_zfazCPQ
pages.suddenlink.net/chasebradymusic

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 3:34 pm    

I use E7
E
B
G#
E
D/C#
B
G#
E
I change the D to C# if I need a minor.I will also change the top B to C# for Sleep Walk etc.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 5:25 pm    

I personally think that C6 is the best for blues. Sixth arpeggio sound really good for blues licks and bass line. You have to know all you degrees, know when to flat the third or move the sixth to flat seventh or root to seventh or lowering the 5th to flat 5th ect....

You can also find a couple of blues scale pattern to help you moving around the neck from position to position.

I came from blues guitar, and are into Chicago blues but also west coast blues and jump blues. It took me a little time but now I can play all what I know on guitar with my C6 lap steel.

Its not the most natural tuning for blues but if you work I think you can play all the blues on C6. I love to go to blues jams and surprise people that I can get Elmore James sound but also horn swing riff, standard guitar licks, sacred steel ect... You can get it all with C6.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 7:32 pm    

Jean Sebastian.....if you could do a little video showing what you mean....that would be helpful. Something that we can see/hear what strings and frets you are playing.....something to help turn on the light bulbs over our head.

Edited due to brain fart.....Sorry Jean.

Last edited by Stephen Abruzzo on 2 Apr 2014 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 4:44 am    

Stephen Abruzzo wrote:
Jean Claude.....if you could do a little video showing what you mean....that would be helpful. Something that we can see/hear what strings and frets you are playing.....something to help turn on the light bulbs over our head.

My name is Jean-Sébastien, I will try to do a little video as soon as I can.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 5:04 am    

Stephen, it's all there in C6. Actually, I really enjoy playing the blues in C6 tuning--you can get some of the classic styles without relying heavily on cliches.

It's hard to do Elmore James with as much abandon as you might be able to muster in open E or D, but with careful attention to your picking hand and blocking, you can make it happen. I like the Albert Collins and Jimmie Vaughan styles of playing and their phrasing.

David Cook

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 5:37 am    

Try tuning the top E down a step to D with the C6th tuning. This is what A.J. Ghent has used with a B6th tuning.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 5:40 am    

David Cook wrote:
Try tuning the top E down a step to D with the C6th tuning. This is what A.J. Ghent has used with a B6th tuning.

That is also one of my tricks--in fact, one of my necks has it permanently.

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 1:46 pm    

I'm not sure I understand what the D for the E gets you. My C6 has a G on top and C# on the 7th string. I agree there is lots of the blues in that tuning but for me it lacks bottom. I like getting down and dirty on the lower E chord, just so nobody forgets that it is the blues. Smile

Tom Margulies

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 2:04 pm     Thanks

Thanks everyone... great input... gives me some good ideas.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2014 2:27 pm    

Paul DiMaggio wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what the D for the E gets you.

Having a D 1st string does a lot, but you'd have to experience it and mess with it a while to see its value.

Paul DiMaggio wrote:
My C6 has a G on top and C# on the 7th string. I agree there is lots of the blues in that tuning but for me it lacks bottom. I like getting down and dirty on the lower E chord, just so nobody forgets that it is the blues. Smile

Well, get rid of the G on top and stick a low C on the bottom...voila! To me, the high G is useless--especially for blues.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 6:40 am    

If you want good examples of blues in C6 check for.

jerry byrd, byrd's boogie
Benny Rogers, Steel Guitar G Boogie
all stuff from Wayne Hanckock and Jeremy Wakefield.

Classic blues like Corrina Corrina, I'm Sittin' On Top of the World, Milk Cow blues are played by various Western Swing bands and most of the time with C6 straight steel.

After that you have to use your imagination and play what you want. It can help to listen to Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Robert Johnson, Earl Hooker,

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 8:33 am    

Last edited by Paul Arntson on 4 Apr 2014 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 8:44 pm    

Thanks for the explanation Paul. A big help. so, the Elmore James is just a 1 fret forward slant on the 2nd and 3rd strings?

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2014 10:30 pm    

A powerful 2 notes harmony is the root and fifth, if you play blues its good to find some.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 9:59 am    

Last edited by Paul Arntson on 4 Apr 2014 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 11:48 am    

Paul Arntson wrote:

"...but now I can play all what I know on guitar with my C6 lap steel" - Wow wish I could say that. I bet you've put in some major study to get to that point.

Well I guess it help when you don't know much on guitar!!

But for example I made a little video showing how I transpose a very simple guitar riff on steel.

On guitar you only have to move one finger to flat the 3rd but on steel you have to find another position and most of the do slant to have the same note.

I guess its why they invent the pedal but I think its more fun on straight steel.

The little riff is a minor 6 substitution, F#m over A7 and on the 4th chord you lower the C# to C to get a D7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vthmYKz8LrM&feature=youtu.be

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 12:08 pm    

Excuse me folks, but it seems to me that this thread has gotten a bit hijacked. The original question was about "good tunings" for blues. It seems to have become "How to play blues in the one true tuning".
OK, that was a little snippy. I apologize. But I have to ask. Do you really mean to suggest that C6 is a natural good choice if what you want to play mostly is blues? When I think about blues on the lap steel, the first name that comes to my mind is Bob Brozman, not Jerry Byrd. Bob did multiple CD's of blues, and a series of instructional videos specifically on lap steel blues. He talks a little bit about C6 late in his second video, but clearly he considered it more of a specialty tuning. Mostly he focused on open D and open (low) G. Alternating base with the thumb works out naturally in these tunings. It's awkward and unnatural in C6. The other problem with C6 or any other sixth tuning is that #*$&@ sixth. It makes everything sound Hawaiian. (A fellow told me this morning that every time he puts his lap steel in C6, his 7 year old daughter immediately starts dancing the hula around the room ).
For those of you who have been playing C6 for years, extending it to play blues is a perfectly natural idea. But the original post made it clear that this individual is more familiar with open D and open G. Surely there is an 8 string tuning that's going to be more natural for those of us used to playing in major chord tunings. One that is a natural extension of the open 6 string tunings commonly used in blues, just like 8-string C6 is a natural extension of 6-string C6.
Again, I apologize if I've offended anyone.
--Chase Brady

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 12:21 pm    

Hey your right Chase, sorry to try to sell the C6. Its true that if you only want to play blues (Chicago, Delta, Folk, Rock) G, D and E tunings are probably the best!

I would choose an E7 tuning and try to play like Duane Allman or G to play like Muddy Water or Robert Johnson.

Tom Margulies

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 6:43 pm    

Thanks Chase. Let me rephrase .... how would you tune 8 strings to open d or open g.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 9:08 pm    

For Open D, I would take the E9 I posted earlier and drop the whole thing down 1 whole tone. I like that tuning because you get your chords, E, E7 and E9 as a straight chord with no string skips.

For Low Bass Open G...hi-to-lo...D-B-G-D-G-D...over 8 strings I would go with

hi-to-lo....D-B-G-F-D-B-G-E

I like the E on the bottom even if it's a 6th note. Greg Booth uses the bottom E to great advantage in his Dobro playing. Plus you get G7 in 2 different versions, one with the 7th on the bottom and one with the 7th on the top. And a Bdim on strings 4-5-6.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2014 11:00 pm    

Sorry. got carried away.

Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2014 8:38 am    

This thread's a bit old, but I thought I would mention that I've found a tuning that seems quite natural for blues. I ran across it in another thread. It was attributed to Darick Campbell.
Low to high: E B D E G# B C# E
It does have a 6th note on the 2nd string, as well as a minor 7th on the 6th string. It also has two roots on the low strings, permitting a pretty good alternating bass for rhythm playing.
What would you call this?

--Chase