The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  I Got Scammed
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 8:24 pm    

I just lost my money in the scam, where non member responded to my WTB ad on SGF...

also, seller signed email as a "Jaime", and the email address was : willdan.tec02@gmail.com

the same address was used on the other forum, www.AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=419946

guitar I paid for is a black Fessenden D-10

Last edited by Damir Besic on 30 Mar 2014 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 5:36 am    

People like this make me sick. Damir, I truly hope you're able to recover your money. Sorry you've had to deal with something like this.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 6:45 am    

Sorry Man.

A reminder for others (From Craigslist):

Avoiding Scams

You can avoid would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:
•DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON—follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
•NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
•FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON—BANKS WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
•CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, provide escrow, "buyer protection" or "seller certification."
•NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
•AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
•DO NOT RENT HOUSING OR PURCHASE GOODS SIGHT-UNSEEN—that amazing rental or cheap item may not exist.
•DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT OR BACKGROUND CHECKS until you have met the job interviewer or landlord/agent in person.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 6:48 am    

Just curious, but are you saying he has no intention of sending you the guitar? He said this? Have you spoken to him?

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 6:51 am    

Not good...I know it's like closin' the barn door, after the cows got out, but I don't deal with non-forum members. Non-members can't access to your contact information, unless you provide it in your post. Sorry to hear :/

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 6:55 am    

this is the last email I got from this person:

To: Damir Besic <damirzanne>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:49 AM
Subject: Re: WTB nice steel guitar up to $1,700.00. looking for a nice, clean, steel, for up to a $1,700.00.... send offers with a price and pix to damirzanne@yahoo.com

Good Morning Damir,

I will be making out shipment today to your address, I will email you
with confirmation immediately am done with it.

Thank you exceedingly for your consideration and kind indulgence.

Jaime

after this email, I never heard back from this individual... my mistake was posting a phone number, when you post the phone number that makes for the scammers easier to get to you without having to go through the process of getting a forum membership...

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:05 am    

Another tip is, no matter what it is you want to buy (New/Used car, guitar, etc...), don't ever announce how much you are willing to spend.

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:08 am    

Hopefully it was just a delay in shipping. Maybe it will show up Monday. I hope it was not outright fraud.

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:40 am    

That makes me ill...I've never understood why anybody would put there phone number for everyone to see, even here on the Forum...Damir, I'm not chiding you, I've just never understood...we can use the PM/Email to get those if need be...I really hope there was some kind of delay and you get "YOUR" guitar...this sucks!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:45 am    

nah, it is a fraud, this individual tried the same thing on www.AR15.com forum (click on the links in the original post), but the buyer didn't bite.... I decided to try to help to prevent this, and offering the escrow service on my web site, not looking to make any money really, but to help with preventing the on line scam.... this should be a lesson to me, and a warning to all the members on this forum, that scammers and criminals are watching what we post, even tho, they will soon or later, end up behind the bars, it doesn't help the fact that money is gone... so be careful, and check my web site www.steelguitarsonline.com for the new escrow service...the idea is that money will not be released to neither a seller or a buyer, until both sides agree with that...if you offer to your seller, or a buyer, to use this service, and he refuses, there is a reason why he is refusing it, same like when they insist on you using a western union or other wire transfer..there is a reason why they want that...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:46 am    

Dale Rottacker wrote:
That makes me ill...I've never understood why anybody would put there phone number for everyone to see, even here on the Forum...Damir, I'm not chiding you, I've just never understood...we can use the PM/Email to get those if need be...I really hope there was some kind of delay and you get "YOUR" guitar...this sucks!!

well, because we trust each other, and don't realize that other people, who are not members, are watching as well... I learned my lesson, I can tell you that

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 8:40 am    

thanks to the one forum member, who did little research I managed to get in touch with the son of the lady who owns this bank account I sent the money to...he has no idea what's going on, and will talk to his mom when she gets back from the church, and call me back...thanks for the help Ron...

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 9:47 am    

The wording you posted, reeks of a scam from the start. That is similar to wording I see on the various "non USA" scam e-mails that we all get.

Quote:
Good Morning Damir,

I will be making out shipment today to your address, I will email you
with confirmation immediately am done with it.

Thank you exceedingly for your consideration and kind indulgence.

Jaime

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 1:54 pm    

Another warning. NEVER post your phone number, address or email address in a public forum or anywhere else on the web. Not only can criminals get your info, but spambots can too and slam you with unwanted emails.

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 2:51 pm    

Man that's too bad Damir - hopefully you can get your money back. Thanks again for that carter - we're finishing up a tour right now, it's done 55 shows in 60 days! So keep fighting the good fight and moving steels around - they're getting played.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 3:35 pm    

You know, several times I have fired off either a substantial gob of money or more often a quite valuable instrument in trade - to a forum member. And it's usually on the way home from UPS, or that evening, I have thought "Wow! Boy! Gee... I hope this works..." And, so far, it always has. Cherish that thought.

That guitar pictured has one single coil and one humbucking pickup, you may be able to at least find the source of the original pictures. Thanks to Google Earth, you'll be able to get very close to viewing those "real" addresses. And while we've got member on the forum all over the place, I would never advocate (on an open forum Cool ) that you ask for help in that regards. On an open forum.

P.S. Google Earth -

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-
https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&layer=c&z=17&iwloc=A&sll=39.796401,-84.191097&cbp=13,341.9,0,0,0&cbll=39.796093,-84.190966&q=2150+Jimike+Drive+45414+Dayton,+Ohio&ei=9lg3U5j7GMmqsQSZioFw&ved=0CCcQxB0wAA

Jimike Dr. is a trailer park, the LA address is a house.

https://www.google.com/search?q=220+W.+49th+St.+Los+Angeles%2C+CA+90037&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 4:51 pm    

The scammer's use of English is typical of someone whose first language isn't English.What it is typical of is the half-British/half French linguistic patterns with native language overlays you see in West Africa,and if I had to guess I'd say Damir has just done business with some Nigerians.I'm so sorry to see this kind of thing done to one of our own. Sad Mad

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 5:47 pm    

Will Van Horn wrote:
Man that's too bad Damir - hopefully you can get your money back. Thanks again for that carter - we're finishing up a tour right now, it's done 55 shows in 60 days! So keep fighting the good fight and moving steels around - they're getting played.

thanks Will, that Carter is indeed a very nice guitar, I'm very glad you are enjoying it... I will always be around steel guitars, music and musicians, and one asshole won't change that...take care my friend

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 5:49 pm    

Dave Hopping wrote:
The scammer's use of English is typical of someone whose first language isn't English.What it is typical of is the half-British/half French linguistic patterns with native language overlays you see in West Africa,and if I had to guess I'd say Damir has just done business with some Nigerians.I'm so sorry to see this kind of thing done to one of our own. Sad Mad

Dave, the thing is, he didn't ask me to transfer the money to some bank in Africa, and on top of that, he provided all the personal info needed for a wire transfer...now, he either is a very clever computer guy, or a total idiot..it's to be seen...

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 7:58 pm    

Damir
I am so sorry for you. You have proved to be a good guy to deal with as far as I am concerned, and I have nothing but good things to say about your deals when you sell steel guitars.

It just goes to show that photos don't always give a true picture of what is purported as being for sale.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2014 1:10 am    

About 10 years ago, I was scammed through a wtb ad I posted on a public listing service. I then published a request for others who may have been scammed by this person to contact me, and within a week had a handful of people contact me, and there was a clear track record of a habitual behaviour - a common criminal with a known address.

I contacted the local police department in his jurisdiction. No interest. Then I felt double scammed that my taxes paid to government were exactly the same situation as the scammer: paid in advance for goods or services that would not be received. I often wonder if there is legal recourse to force public service entities to perform their legal duties.

Until the police are prepared to perform their service obligations to citizens under the law, these people will operate with impunity.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2014 6:08 am    

I'm on a car forum and it's amazing the length people will go to, and the skill they employ, to swindle people. Granted we're talking Corvettes rather than pedal steel guitars, but the consensus there is either go see it yourself in person, or have someone you know and trust go see it before you hand over any money.

I can't count HOW many people have supposedly been selling a car but they are "out of the country" on a merchant ship or on business, and have it all set that as soon as they get your money a truck will deliver it to your door for your inspection, etc. Yup, SURE that will happen! And on some occasions people have actually recognized their own car or a friend's car which is supposedly the one being sold. ("Location: Minnesota" and you see palm trees in the picture they supposedly took this morning! Laughing )

Damir, I hope this has a good ending but I would not be too optimistic. Thanks for posting it though - it's a good reminder to all of us to not be TOO trusting. If something does not "feel right" about how someone structures a deal or how they choose what words to write, take your money and walk away.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2014 6:14 am    

Thank you Ken, this is not an African scam, this is a domestic guy who is surfing the US forums, photo shopping and editing pictures, looking who is buying what, and then targeting buyers, African scammers don't operate like that... I have also been contacted by some other forum members on here, who received emails from this same individual with the intent to sell his guitar to them, so he is on here, watching, specially on "want to buy" forum...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2014 6:19 am    

Don, thank God, I didn't buy a Corvette, LOL, I'll be ok, I have enough personal info to locate this guy, plus IP address, and I am also in touch with a guy from AR15 forum, so it will be ok, important thing is that guys on here are warned, and everyone knows that this criminal is on here, trolling and looking for victims...

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2014 6:22 am    

I just got another email this morning:

Attention My Dear Friend,

This is to notify you that we have arranged your payment of $5.5 Million USD through swift card payment centre Asia pacific,this card centre will send you an ATM card which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world at the maximum rate of $10,000.00 us dollars (Ten Thousand United State Dollars) per day.Therefore do not hesitate to contact UBA Bank Plc and also re-confirm the following information as listed below:
1.YOUR FULL NAME:
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS:
3.YOUR DIRECT CELL NUMBER:
4.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE:
5.YOUR COUNTRY:
6.AGE AND GENDER:
7.OCCUPATION:
Forward the above inforamation to:
Mr.Thomas Obinna (Director of Foreign Remittance Division UBA Bank Plc.Direct line:+2348064941721) E-mail:(enquiries@helixnet.cn) The Bank has been mandated to issue out your payment and you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your ATM Card.

Note that because of impostors, The Bank also issued you their code of conduct, which is (0458) so you have to indicate this code when contacting the ATM card centre by using it as your subject.
Thanks
Yours Faithfully
Mr.Don Chisco

so I'll be ok, I just won 5.5 million dollars, LOL