The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The New Rittenberry Prestige (Pics)
Wayne Dahl

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 10:32 pm    

This project started about 14 months ago when I approached Gary about some ideas I had that might possibly make his fine guitar (that I was already playing) sound even better. He was very open and considered what I had to say! We talked about guitars like Sho~Bud, the Push-Pull Emmons and a few others, and the concepts about each of them and why they sounded like they did. I was searching for a guitar with a mid-range that had clarity and an evenness from top to bottom, and sustain. We tested aluminum cross shafts, both square and hexagon, as well as round stainless steel. We concluded hands down the stainless steel had the best bell-like tone and would contribute to the tone of the guitar. Wood to metal contact and no plastic, we decided, was also a piece of the puzzle. We went from one end of the guitar to the other, making improvements where need be, always keeping tone and resonance in mind. The mechanics of this guitar didn't go unnoticed either. It's solid from top to bottom! It also tunes out perfectly, with a minimal cabinet drop of 2 cents on the "E" strings. Its bar-non the best sounding/playing guitar I've ever owned, with all the qualities that I was looking for as I described. Many of the pro players at the Dallas show recently (according to Gary) were knocked out about the tone and play-ability of this guitar. Lastly, "The Prestige" is a tribute guitar to 3 steel guitar builders that helped Gary along the way, they are: Jimmy Crawford, Dwayne Mars and Paul Franklin Sr. A big thank you to each of them! So, after 14 months and a lot of hard work, mainly on Gary's part, I think we have a winner here. So, thank you Gary Rittenberry so much for making this all a reality...job well done! Here are the pictures:

Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 11:07 pm    

It looks great Wayne!

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 5:43 am    

i want one Whoa! Whoa!
p.w

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:08 am    

Interesting project...with the push toward light weight guitars, makes sense that tonal potential has been dealt away. Eg. Steel vs. Aluminum

Most curious about your statement regarding no plastic...does this also apply to cross shaft bushings, going to the old shobud method of metal on metal?

Did you also investigate material selection on roller nuts? Any observations or preferences?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:44 am    

I would like your comments on the following please Wayne.

Your guitar looks beautiful, but Gary had a couple of lacquer guitars on show at Dallas that looked absolutely stunning. Have you tried one of Gary's lacquer guitars, or was that never a consideration for your personal taste? Did you conclude that mica sounds better than lacquer, or was there no difference in your tests?

The 705 pickup (which I think is what you have on your guitar) works really well with mica covered guitars. Was this a consideration too?

With regard to bushings, I take it that brass or bronze would be your preferred material rather than delrin or nylon?
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Dennis Lee

Forest Grove, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 8:04 am     Rittenberry

Stunning! This is the new generation guitar by Gary.

Wayne Dahl

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 10:14 am    

Tom...We purposely eliminated any plastic type bushings, as well as pedal and knee lever stops made of delrin, because it restricts the flow of resonance throughout the guitar. Sho~Bud, PP Emmons, as well as the Franklin guitars implemented that concept. Also, with stainless steel cross shafts, there's no need of bronze bushings that would go into the front rail. On the other hand, aluminum cross shafts would require a bronze bushing, preferably.
The rollers are made of the same material as the changers fingers, I'll leave it at that Smile

Ken...I wanted a guitar that had a Sho~Bud midrange coupled with the Emmons PP top end. So, it had to be mica. That's not to say I dislike the lacquer sound, there's a place for both depending on what your going after. Yes, those are 705's in my guitar. I would have used the 705's regardless of the mica/lacquer decision. Wayne

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 12:22 pm    

Stunning! Would love to hear it.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 2:30 pm    

All of the Ritts that I have ever listened to have had great tone, comparable to the very best Emmons LeGrandes in my view. A view shared by my dear friend Robert K Seymour when he was alive.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:00 pm    

Congratulations! That is one good looking steel! I'll bet that the tone is really great. Gary builds a great steel and is a great person to deal with. Enjoy.

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 4:35 pm    

I remember a Youtube video when Bobbe Seymour played a green Rittenbery and said the tone so impressed him he had ordered one for himself.

If you want an endorsement, there would be few finer or more telling than one from the late, great Bobbe Seymour.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 6:08 pm    

Wayne, that's a beautiful guitar! Gary is an outstanding craftsman. If it plays better than his previous guitars, it must be amazing! Smile

Jeremy Marcum

Northport, Alabama... USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 8:24 pm    

Wayne, Nice Rittenberry! Do you have any recordings or videos?

Jm

Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 9:40 pm    

All Ritts are great guitars but have come a long way since the ones Bobbe has posted on YouTube. I know this is just my opinion and I don't mean to take anything away from other great guitars, but I would have to say the Rittenberry is probably the best all pull guitar with aspects of tone, mechanics and playability of any steel guitar on the market. In all of the talks that I've had with Gary Rittenberry in the last year and a half, I have learned more about what goes into a steel guitar and the effects of it than I have from any other builder. I do have to take a little credit by telling Wayne how impressed I was with The Rittenberry and highly encouraged him to check it out. If there's anyone that's more in tune with tone and how a guitar should be, it's Wayne Dahl. You can take what he says to the bank. Keep up the great work.

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 2:41 pm    

Dean,
I had a chance to play on Wayne's new Ritt; only that I was working in the booth with Gary & Tina.
I am sure that Wayne is a happy camper with this guitar.
Gary really takes the time to build a great guitar and is really a hands on builder and a real chopper (just a inside joke)
Here is my two; now I have to learn how to play this things..

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 2:59 pm    

Oooooohhhh I LIKE that one on the left, Tommy. That's my favorite color. Sure wish I could order a new one like that. You're very fortunate to have those 2 guitars. VERY classy!.

Rich Swiger

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 3:16 pm     Perley Curtis Rittenberry

Pearly Curtis let me play his Ritt one night out at Long Hollow Jamboree and it sounded great.
Warm but with bite. The highs above the 12 fret were sweet not brittle. I liked the smooth pedal action and the solid feel of them. I have two great steel now but I may need another one. Keep up the good work. And thanks for all the thought you put into making this great instrument.

Tommy Alexander

Friendswood, Texas 77546
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 3:36 pm     My Ritts

Hey Mike, burgundy is my favorite color, I guess you can see that!
The SD10 is mica with the BL705; great bell tone as I call it.
The D10 is an all wood with the aluminum necks, BL705's and the way Rich calls it "warm with a bite", almost the way I called it, "Sho-Bud warm with a sharp edge".
I use the Walker system and I get a great tone out of each.
As the country boy said, "happy as a pig in mud"

Wayne Dahl

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 7:28 pm    

Jeremy...At this point, no recording or video. Maybe Steve Palousek and I can get something out there for the players.

Dean...I agree, the Rittenberry guitar is great in all aspects like you said. I think the thing that sets the Prestige apart from a lot of guitars is simply "the tone" There's something special about the mids in the guitar that many of the players have stated when they played my guitar at the Dallas show...no muddy, nasally, honky thing going on, just a clear voice. It comes through acoustically and the results are the same when played through an amp. Easy to EQ because there's no weird frequencies to deal with.
I don't mean to come across as being a no-it-all about tone and steel guitars, I'm still learning, but I think we have something special with the Prestige...It's got character:)

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 2:06 am    

Looks great Gary & Wayne. With all the going back to basics that you have done why the humbuckers? Also, any way some of us us other Austin guys can drive her around the block?

Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 2:07 am    

Looks great Gary & Wayne. With all the going back to basics that you have done why the humbuckers? Also, any way some of us us other Austin guys can drive her around the block?

Jerry Van Hoose

Wears Valley, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 10:29 am    

Wayne, thanks for posting the pictures and excellent description. I really enjoyed seeing as well as reading everything about your new Rittenberry Prestige. I find myself continuously returning to this thread to have another look, wow.

Johnny Cox

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 12:25 pm    

Wayne Dahl

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 12:26 pm    

Johnny...Thank you. I like the sound of a single coil overall, but they can be a bit harsh at the top end as well. The 705 humbucker seems to have more evenness character about them, warmth if you will. There's pro's and cons to each...Just my take Smile Yes, let's round up some players and take her for a spin! Will be in touch. Wayne

Wayne Dahl

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2014 12:49 pm    

Jerry, thanks! It's been an interesting and fun process for Gary and I. Like Johnny said, were going back the the basics, and that never goes out of style Wink