The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The 7 month lag
Dirk B

Harrisburg, MO, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 1:16 pm    

Last night I finally nailed some challenging runs I've been trying to pull off since I got Doug Jernigan's "Jazz by Jernigan" tab book in February. Pervious to this I could play the runs pretty well in my living room, but when push came to shove, I didn't know it well enough to perform until it had time to sink in.

So I guess I won't be able to perform the stuff I'm practicing now until next year! Donny Hinson, or someone, said something about it taking 10 years for new players to finally get their sound together and I'm thinking it's true.

[This message was edited by Dirk B on 06 September 2002 at 02:47 PM.]

Jim Whitaker

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2002 3:53 pm    

You mean to tell me I've got 9 years to go before I can stand to listen to myself!!!

------------------
JIM
"Carter SD10" "73" MSA S10, "74" LTD & NASHVILLE 400, Profex II "55" Esquire, "63 Epiphone, "63" Precision,
"71" Jazz

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 11:02 am    

I realize you are kind of half-serious and half "tongue-in-cheek" with this, but when
I first started,over 30 yrs ago, a very good
player gave me some serious advice. He said
that it would take about 4 yrs of practice &
experience for me to become average. Even
though I said "He doesn't know me." His pre-
diction proved correct. Bear in mind that this was before VCR's & Jeff Newman's great
courses! About the only instructional material available at that time was "The Oahu
Method". In recent years I have seen students do impressive things within just a year or two. I have a sixteen-year-old son who learned to play standard guitar in only 3 months! Due to his acccomplishment, I am proud, amazed, and feeling very slow right now!
W.C.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 10:26 pm    

Boy, Wayne, you could have been talking about ME. I learned to play TAB on non-pedal back in the 50's. I'm still trying to play WELL. I always felt my most serious handicap was not being able to sight-read music, so started my son on piano when he was five. When he finished high school he played guitar (not steel), trombone, drums, keyboards, flute, sax, baritone, and just about anything else he picked up - and darned WELL, too. Anyway, well enough to get a college scholarship (which he didn't take full advantage of (girls))...anyway, maybe it's having the knowledge, or maybe it's having TALENT, which I must've lacked.