The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My friend, Bobbe Seymour - Passing of a legend
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 6:33 am    

I only got to meet him one time, when I was visiting Nashville. He couldn't have been nicer to me. He took me around the store, pointing out various guitars he thought I'd be interested in, and showed me a Bigsby he was in the process of renovating.

I enjoyed reading whatever he wrote. He lived quite a life. My condolences to his family and friends.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 6:36 am    

The timing of this award was marvellous. Same too with Reece Anderson. Both got to savour the prestige of the induction before they passed on which is nice.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 6:45 am    

Bobbe had incredible verbal communication skills, and an example of this was when I told him of a steel player friend of mine in England who had a stroke and was probably never to play again unless a miracle happened. Bobbe saw that I had a camcorder with me, and suggested that I film him making a personal message to my friend. He did it first time with no stumbling or hesitation. An amazing guy. My friend was so grateful to Bobbe for this very kind gesture.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 6:54 am    

Sorry to hear of Bobbe's passing. I too was greatly inspired by his playing and wit, especially his Travis/Atkins style and sense of humor. I hope he is in a better place with guys like Erik West and other great Steelers who have passed on.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 7:20 am    

That is indeed very sad news. I have been to his store many times and bought various things from him. He used to come to the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society annual convention in Nashville and play some thumb style on his steel, and play along with his buddy Bob Saxton. RIP, my prayers and thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 7:37 am    

Bobbe was truly one of a kind. I was fortunate to have known him. Rest in peace my friend.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 8:32 am    

I will miss Bobbe very much.

He always made me feel like a million dollars....

My condolences to the family. May he rest in peace.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 9:02 am    

I will miss you, Bobbe. And your wonderful newsletters. Rest in Peace.

Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 9:17 am    

Bobbe always treated me as if I were his best friend. Haven't seen him in quite a while - now I never will. Miss Ya, Bobbster.

Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 9:27 am     Rest in Peace

I am in shock!! A huge loss for the Steel guitar community. Sad Sad

He inspired me and many others with his Bobbe's letters. I, my friends& we will miss him greatly, but we will never forget his marvelous presence.

Bobbe was my "go to" guy for anything steel guitar. I got my PSG and gear from him.......he was great!!

Bobbe's spirit is still with us. I have kept all his letter's and will read them fondly in the coming days. Smile See Bobbe on youtube, my favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpHGQzxxc4

God keep the Bobbster strong forever more!! TX

Rgds,

Ron

Last edited by Ron Brennan on 21 Mar 2014 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 9:30 am    

http://garyhayescountry.com/steel-guitar-legend-bobbe-seymour-dies/

Declan Byrne

Southern Ireland
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 10:00 am    

RIP Bobbe

Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 10:44 am    

When I was visiting Nashville in 2006,a couple of bandmates and I ventured out to his shop. After we puttered around a bit, Bobbe came out and instantly knew we were from out of town. He showed us all around the place, and even took us to his back room where we got to see his workshop and some very rare Bigsby guitars, and other gems. Also, one of his custom cars was in there that he was very happy to show us.

He spent a lot of time with us, even though all I bought was a few emmons parts. He even gave me a free cd of his as we left.

He was a wonderful human being and a great musician and will be missed.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 11:16 am    

I wish I'd known he was the guy with all the Bigsbys back in the 80s (and nearly trying to give them away!) so I could give him a little bit of money! Sorry I missed those chances and I am sorry Bobby has left us.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 11:28 am     About those Bigsbys.....

There is a guy, possibly in Calif. that knows/has a bunch of Bigsby stuff and is supposedly some kind of Bigsby historian. Don't know his name.

Bobbe, several years ago, suggested I consider renting my quad Bigsby to the Nashville Music Video producers that are always seeking vintage instrument to put in their current videos.

Bobbe said I'd likely earn more money that way than if I was to sell it outright.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 12:31 pm    

RIP Bobbe

Henning Antonsen

Gaupevegen 18, 2335 Stange, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 1:35 pm    

This is very sad news Sad

I bought an Emmons LeGrande III from Bobbe 15+ years ago, a guitar he set up personally for me according to my requests. It has served me very well through the years, and it's still my main guitar.

6 years ago I was in Nashville, and of course I had to visit Bobbe's. He treated me as if I was an old friend. I tried a few of his guitars, and he even complimented me on my playing, which I'm sure he did just to be nice to this nobody, but I haven't forgotten about it anyhow.

Rest in peace Bobbe. You were a true legend in the world of steel guitar and will be missed by many.

Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 2:54 pm    

I'm so sorry to hear that, Vic. I know you lost a great friend and I'm very sorry. Bobbe was nothing but patient, generous and supportive of me when I started wanting to play steel ten years ago. I found him to be a deep person who still had his inner teenager and a sly sense of humor as well as compassion. Another one of the real ones is gone.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 4:12 pm    

I only spoke to Bobbe once on the phone about six years ago. I had just bought my first guitar (a Sho bud Crossover which he told me I should throw away - I traded it two days later) But I'll always remember what he said shortly before the call ended: "you can tell everybody that you're a good friend of Bobbe Seymour's". I have subscribed to his newsletter ever since. I never met him in person, but he will be missed.

RIP.

Rocky Evangelisti

Perth, Western Australia
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 5:16 pm     My Friend, Booby Seymour - Passing Of A Legend

Very sad news indeed!
I met Bobbe in 1992, when his shop was in Goodlettsville. I had travelled all the way from Australia to buy a couple of pedal steels. Bobbe helped me out and organised them to be shipped back to Oz.
He will be dearly missed. R.I.P

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 6:31 pm    

RIP Bobbe

John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2014 9:45 pm    

Big loss here. RIP, Bobbe. Thanks for the stories, the tips, and the friendship.

Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 3:21 am    

Been friends with Bobbe for ages.....he loaded me up with his CD's for free.....sold me a nice Tee Shirt for half price....bought the coffee if Smiley and I couldn't find him in the shop...but found him
in the resteraunt across the road.
At any steel show..no matter who he was with I would just get a big grin and a Hug .
R.I.P Bobbe
Tony[/url]

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 6:27 am    

Bobbe playing my Emmons LeGrande II the day I picked it up at his store in 1999. What a great guy.
He was very supportive of our Florida Steel Guitar Club from its beginning in 2002. He will be missed by everyone. The smile on his face says it all about Bobbe.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 12:37 pm    

I will never forget the kindness Bobbe showed me when I first moved to Nashville in 1987. Knowing nobody, 2 small children and a third on the way; Bobbe offered me a job at Steel Guitar Nashville through the winter until I found work playing. I stayed on for three years, trying to absorb as much knowledge as I could from him. His spirit will not be forgotten...