The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shelf Life of strings ?
Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 6:04 am    

is there such a thing as shelf life on strings? I know there is alot of variables to look at such as humidity, temp, and a few other things, but to get to the root of the problem and my question, I play a Derby SD-10,4X5 with a standard Emmons set-up. this makes the 4th string I've had to replace in two weeks. and its the 10th string. at first I blamed it on right hand placement, so I was super critical in that area. after the first one went, (and this is all at the changer end). I checked the top, cleaned it, and did my normal change, making sure it was totally on the pin, but yesterday, after a few hours of playing, sure enough, the 10th finally gave out. I'm using a standard 440 pitch, and the last two sets of George L's I bought were from a little mom and pop store where I was probably the only steel player for quite some time. do I have some serious problems here or did I just luck into some old strings ? sure could use some help on this one. I dont have much more hair to pull out .

Joe
Derby SD-10 4X5, profex ll, Lexicon MPX 100,
Fender twin, Nashville 400

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 6:29 am    

Strings definitly have a shelf life. I've gotten strings at a store before and watched everyone of them break just as they were coming into tune. That's why I deal exclusively with a dealer who sells GHS strings and gets them directly from the factory. I order strings about 2-3 times per year and they are about 3 days old when I get them. I know they will be good for the 5-6 monthes it takes me to go through them. I'm not endorsing any specific product here. Find a brand you like and then find a dealer that can get them for you factory direct. If you don't your strings could have been laying around in a warehouse or store for years.

[This message was edited by Whip Lashaway on 04 September 2002 at 07:32 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 8:13 am    

Joe, it was either a bad batch of strings (when they were manufactured), or you have a problem with the guitar! Age just won't cause this type of failure (unless the string is obviously discolored or rusted).

The strings that have been on my guitar for the past 6 months (with the exception of the 3rd string) are 36 years old, and I've had no breakage problem with them! They're an old Sho~Bud set I'd been carrying around since 1966! I've played 5 or 6 gigs with them, so far.

'Nuff said?

Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Southaven, MS, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 11:31 am    

One might compare that to changing piano strings; they are subject to about the same abuse (except Jerry Lee's piano; he lives ab out 5 miles from us); sometimes I think I can hear him rehearsing (with his feet !). Anyway, piano strings are not changed frequently.I think probably the wound strings go bad first due to sweat and dust; then they sound dead and don't ring; the decay is almost instant. Piano strings are all solid, however. -- HJ

Wayne Cox

Chatham, Louisiana, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2002 2:45 pm    

In 1990 I worked for music supply warehouse
that mostly handled accessory items, such as
strings. For some reason, the company decided
to discontinue a popular brand of strings. I
bought what was left in stock at a heavily
discounted price (abt $0.05 each). I then
bought two Tupperware-style containers to
store them in. These were not my first choice
in strings, where tone and quality are con-
cerned; then nor now, but I still dip into
them. I have to say that those which are left
are just as good now as they were when I got
them. But... I stored some in a cardboard
box, inside a storage shed. They didn't fare
so well. The moral?: It's good to save for
a rainy day but rusty strings are worthless!
W.C.

Whip Lashaway

Monterey, Tenn, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 4:45 am    

All I can go by is my own experience. I used to buy strings from stores that obviously had them on the shelf for awhile. I would regularly break strings just putting them on and getting them in tune. Since I started getting them from a source that gets them factory fresh it NEVER happens. And it's the same guitar. Say whatever you want, my own experience tells me not to buy old strings.
Also, I don't believe that a piano is an acurate comparison. It has very large diameter strings that are streched very tight and hit with a padded hammer. A piano is not fretted and the string only has to be in tune over the entire length of the string, not at 24 frets as well as open. Completely different ballgame.
One last comment, I did have someone tell me that you can keep strings "fresh" by wrapping them in plastic and putting them in something like flour, so it is effectively sealed from the elements. I don't think my wife would care for that!
Just my 2 cents.
Whip

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2002 5:23 am    

Thanks folks:
to get to a steel shop is about a 2 hr drive for me, but it looks like a "sick day" tomorrow, and a drive down to Billy Coopers. The bottom line is " I need the strings" so the Derby and I are going on a road trip in the morning. it never hurts to be on the safe side, and just have him check the changer to be sure. and just have him put on a whole new "fresh set". and go from that point on. (LOL)..just had to chuckle to myself,,,,my Bride even commented "you broke another one ? " I get the checkbook for a day, and going to a Steel shop !!!! I just might be getting into trouble . Thanks for the help. y'all stay safe and God Bless

Joe
Derby SD-10-4X5 , Nashville 400, Fender twin, Profex ll, Lexicon MPX 100