The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  71 Flat Back Emmons restoration
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 12:38 pm    

Hey guys, I'm thinking about restoring my 71 Rosewood. I recently bought an 82 push pull that is notched out in the back and I like the fact that I'm able to get under it without having to put a lift kit on it. I had to raise my 71 about a half an inch because it's a flat back, and by doing that, my forearms is not exactly parallel to the ground. I can still play it with not problem, it's just not as comfortable as my 82. Would it hurt the value of my 71 to have it notched out in the back as well? Would I be better off to sell this guitar as is and search out another rosewood Emmons with the notched out back apron? What do y'all think?

Thanks
David

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 12:51 pm    

Dave, I guess it comes down to how fussy the buyer was about it being mint. Is it mint? If not, go for it, I believe in an axe being a workhorse first, then a showhorse. Maybe Bobbe will chime in here.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 1:41 pm    

David, I would not recommend cutting it at all. Please don't do it. What would you sell the guitar for?
Jerry

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 3:17 pm    

Thanks guys. I'm not real sure that I want to sell it yet. This was my first push pull and on top of that, Weldon Myrick was the original owner. Funny, not having it notched out never mattered to me before I got my 82. I will probably just keep it original. I am interested to see what others have to say about it though.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 4:24 pm    

Please do not cut it up. There are many guitars available to trade/buy out there. Modifying an Emmons original in any way will detract from it's value. Bobbe is still looking for an original 8 on the floor...no knees(lots were made), that hasn't had a slew of homemade knee lever/contraptions put on it. Usually, the underside of these guitars looks like a Swiss cheese.
By the way.......that's 'fat back'. All the backs on Emmons are flat.

David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 4:33 pm    

Thanks Jeff, I had always referred to them as Fat backs too until someone corrected me a few months ago. I guess that person was wrong I will keep it as is. I didn't think it would be a very good idea to cut it up either, but, I figured I'd see what you guys thought. I guess I'll dig through the forum and find that post on reflocking that I saw a few months ago. This guitar doesn't need a huge amount of work by the way. One of the reversing knee's (LKR) is not as it should be. It's a 2 piece knee lever instead of the 3 piece. Other than that, minor stuff like a piece or two of formica replaced, and one of the aluminum strips on the front replaced (got a pretty good nick in it). Hey, I could use a new project right?

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2002 8:06 am    

I have restored a number of p/p's...some of which I was asked to cut the "fat" back out of...
I've never known it to interfere in anyway with the sound or workings of the guitar. Jeff's comment on the originality issue does hold a certain truth though.
If a guitar is never leaving the current owners possession, get it like you want it (within reason). If you have an idea that you may sell it, Id leave it alone.