The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger tip tuners
Joe Blount

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 2:01 pm    

Need information on best way to tune the knee levers and C-pedal, on a Finger Tip Tuning guitar. I realize that the end tuners will tune in the pedal that only pull or lower a single string. I guess what i am asking is when you pull or lower the same string with 2 or more pedals. Exam. 3rd pedal
on E-9th . You can tune your floor pedals with the tuner nut, but if you try to tune
another pedal using that same string it throws the tuning off that you had on the string at first. Does any of this make sense?

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 10:25 am    

No, it doesn't make sense to me? What is a Finger Tip Tuner? Is it a tuner that does not allow you to tune all raises and lower individually? Can you share a picture of the tuning mechanisme

Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U

Yo, Man!

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 10:49 am    

"Yo, man!" indeed!
This is the first time that I included a picture but I did not plan it to be THAT SIZE. Hope this one is better.......

Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U

Yo, Man!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2002 10:15 am    

Joe I just got your E-mail.This model was my first pedal guitar.So my dad had to tune it for me.I can't remember how we did this and neither can he.It was 34 years ago.Maybe we just bought it tune and left it that way. No, someone help Joe out.I know there is still a few of these around. bb

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2002 10:39 am    

I think what Joe's asking is.Example.5th string (A) pedal.You tune it with the finger tip tuner.(C pedal).You also raise the 5th string a full tone.Where do you tune it? Remember it's single raise and single lower. You could tune it out with you C pedal travel.But I'm sure they had a better way.I only had mine a few months and was just trying to learn to play.This is driving me nuts.Joe does it not have a (Tuner) on the C pedal 5th string pull rod? Somewhere near the bellcrank or rod puller as some call them??

[This message was edited by Bobby Boggs on 27 August 2002 at 11:45 AM.]

Larry Harlan

Hydro, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2002 2:30 pm    

Is this a Sho-Bud Fingertip steel?
If so, I have one I've owned since 1971 and now have it upside down in the garage trying to make it much more mechanically dependable. I think the key to all this is,
when you adjust the rods out underneath, all the pulls on any given pull have to all get there at the same time. And therein is the major challenge in working on a fingertip. The pull, regardless of how many strings it's moving, all have to reach where they are going, either raising or lowering all at the same time. The smaller strings have to move further to reach raise or lowered pitch than the bigger, wound strings do. Best of luck.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2002 7:21 pm    

Just a bump.

Joe Blount

Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2002 12:33 pm    

Bobby, and Larry. Thanks a million on your replys. I think the real test is like Larry said you just keep adjusting the pull until they all pull to the same pitch. Which i have tried to do, but there is no way to fine tune. unless you have luck and happen up on it. Also i want to thank Mike Castellana for his e-mail that told me about a Sho-Bud 1/2 tuner to use on the 4th string
for the knee lever

I will except any fact that will help me.

Larry when you figure out a better way of tuning the underside of your guitar let me know.