The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Curly Chalker's Sho~Bud
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 12:12 pm    

Gary, the low notes were on Curly's 8 string, when he went to 10 strings, he added higher notes, not lower notes. This was in the end of '67. Curly was in a period of expermentation during this period of time and kept David Jackson working pretty steady on his ideas and things he wanted to try while going to ten strings. He always claimed he loved the tone of the 7/7 Baldwin Sho-Bud better than anything he ever played. He really didn't care about the weight (96 lbs), he never carried it himself anyway. (much)
Having heard him many times on this guitar, I have to agree. His Cain amps didn't hurt much either.

Bobbe

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 12:39 pm    

Bobby Boggs, I totally agree with you , BIG TIME!!!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 12:46 pm    

Well that's a first. -----bb

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 7:45 pm    

Quote:
Gary, the low notes were on Curly's 8 string, when he went to 10 strings, he added higher notes, not lower notes. This was in the end of '67.
. . .
Bobbe, as Curlys 10-string tuning was E C A G E C A F D A this quote would imply that the highest note on his 8-string tuning was an 'A'!
~ Russ

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 7:49 pm    

Bobbe wrote.

Gary, the low notes were on Curly's 8 string, when he went t10 strings, he added higher notes, not lower notes. This was in the end of '67.

Not doubting your word Bobbe.It just seems hard to imagine Curly waiting till late 67 to go to 10 strings.After all the man was known for his great chord work.I know how often do we use a 10 string chord. But you know what I mean. And wasn't most all the (PSG) super players using 10 strings by 63 or 64?I would have thought Curly would have been one of the first to jump on the 10 string band wagon.Thanks for the education. -bb

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 27 Aug 2002 2:17 pm    

Curly was the last "great" to go to 10 strings. This is fact. Chords? Wow, he did it but just because he only had 8 strings didn't mean he didn't play 800 pound chords,and rather quickly too! But he was definitely the last great 8 string player!
1967? Yep, Hard to believe? Yep, but true.
He told me in 1966 that he may never go to 10 strings, but as we all see, he did. It is more amazing (if you wish to be amazed) that he didn't go to a 12 string. He did say in the middle of the seventies that he would rather go back to a eight string than have to go to a twelve string guitar. Lets you know where his heart was.

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 27 August 2002 at 03:24 PM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 27 August 2002 at 03:26 PM.]