The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on MSA PickUp
Heather Murray

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 6:17 am    

I have an old MSA that has a single coil pickup, and based on a previous posting, I am thinking about getting a humbucker. The buzz is just terrible, and I have tried different cables, amps, etc., with no luck.

What pickup do you MSA players out there recommend? I have looked at George L's and Bill Lawrence's site thus far, and don't know which to go with. I don't want the MSA to loose quality in sound. I want it to sound full and clean as it always has, but perhaps I may get a deeper sound with a humbucker than I have ever gotten with the single coil?

Thanks
Heather

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 6:34 am    

Heather,
are you shure it's the pickup itself that causes the buzz?
Find a tech that checks the connections, if you are satisfied with the sound.
JJ www.steeljj.com

[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 01 August 2002 at 07:36 AM.]

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 6:44 am    

I have really enjoyed the Lawrence 710 on the S10(single coil) that I had and the D10 (SuperSustain) that I now have. They sound much cleaner than the single coil and supersustain. Most of my playing is in the recording studio and the others just couldn't cut it.
You need to use the wide mount pickup and need to have the hole routed out towards the changer to fit the pickup.

------------------
Michael Brebes
MSA D10/Nashville400/
MB Studio Pre/Hafler P3000/RP1/MPX100

[This message was edited by Michael Brebes on 01 August 2002 at 07:48 AM.]

Heather Murray

Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 6:49 am    

Oh, I should mention that I play an
MSA 12.

I have had the guitar checked, connections, etc., and the hum really seems to be the pickup.

heather

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 6:58 am    

You probably won't be happy until you change the pickup...do it, and be done with it!

On the other hand...

I am one of the lucky few, and the single coils in my old MSA give me everything from "Black Album" to Chalker. Personally, I think most players worry too much about their "tone", and not enough about their playing abilities, but then again...what do I know?!

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 7:55 am    

Heather, I'm right up the road from you in Leander. I recently rebuilt an old MSA S10 and put a MSA supersustain pickup on it and I was surprised how good it sounded. It was not nearly as dark as I expected it to be. The only time I ever had problems with a single coil pickup, was when I was playing about 2 ft. from the amp. If I moved to 4 or 5 ft. away the hum went away but the tone was still there.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 7:56 am    

If your MSA is old enough to have the narrow single coil pickup, as in the all Formica wooden neck models from the early 70's, I don't think a modern humbucker pickup will fit without routing the pickup cavity. Not too big of a job for a machine shop, but keep that in mind.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 11:14 am    

If I were you,I'd contact Jerry Wallace about a rewind or better yet,one of his TrueTone custom single coil pickups.I've owned and played two MSAs but I was never nuts about any of their pickups and always changed them out for Lawrence or George Ls.

Lawrence Thomas

toronto ont can
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 2:58 pm    

I have B Lawrence on my MSA D10 and they work great on both necks.

Jeff A. Smith

Angola,Ind. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 4:46 pm    

The George L E-66 is what I and a lot of other people (including Maurice Anderson himself) use with MSA's. The folks at Carter recommend the E-66 for MSA's too. On my S-10 Classic, I think it improved the tone a lot over the stock Supersustain. The only thing I sometimes miss is the bassier sound on certain types of chords that use bass strings. All the treble string fills and stuff sound much better with the E-66, which is supposed to be kind of a high-endy sounding pickup. Since the MSA is supposed to be kind of "dark" sounding, the E-66 is a good match. Installing the E-66 was a very easy job to do, also. I know that the Lawrence 710 is larger than the E-66, and does require routing sometimes. I'm sure the tone is great, though.

Since Bud Carter had alot to do with designing the MSA, Bud, or John Fabian at Carter can help you a great deal if you call them. That's what I did.

Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff A. Smith on 06 August 2002 at 04:01 PM.]

Paul Norris

Andalusia,Ala. U.S.A.36420
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2002 5:00 pm    

Heather, there is a site on the web that let's you hear what different pickups sound like. I think it is on a Carter Steel site, but the pickups are all played on Carters, but it still gives you an idea.I play a D10 MSA with standered pickups with no problem.If your amp is on the right side ,move it to the left side away from the pickup side.It still may be a bad coil. Good luck, Paul

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 6:21 am    

I love my 2 MSA guitars, but their original pickups sucked.I took mine apart and used the wireing for a wig for a holloween costume.

I have a George L in my lacquer/maple guitar and a Lawrence in the white mica/laminate one. Both guitars sound fine now.

I couldn't say which of the 2 pickups is better, but either one would be an improvement over the stock pickups.

slick

Calhoun Georgia
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2002 3:15 pm    

I had a George L E-66 installed in my 76 MSA
Classic S12 and it sounds great.The opening
had to be cut and routed for the pickup to fit.

Wayne

Michael Brewer

Carrollton, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2002 5:32 am    

Heather,

I had the same trouble with my old MSA S12. I installed a George L five way and was very happy with it. I later sold my MSA and have been sorry ever since. I now play a Carter S12 and recently installed one of Jerry Wallace's true tone pickups. I am extremely pleased with the sound I am getting. If I ever find another MSA S12 like my old one, I will buy it.

Mike Brewer

------------------
Mike Brewer

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2002 8:36 pm    

I installed a George L's E-66 on the E-9th neck of my 1981 MSA Vintage XL. It made a great difference in the tone. The C6th neck still has the Super Sustain 2 pickup for the good ole' classic C6th tone, dark,fat,and heavy.

Heather Murray

Post  Posted 11 Aug 2002 8:39 am    

Well, I have talked to Maurice, Bud Carter, the person who gave me the guitar, and others. I explained to Bud that I am seeking a warmer sound, that my MSA seems a little bright. He recommended that 12-1. Maurice recommended the E-66, while the person who gave me the guitar recommended a Super Sustain II. so many choices!

I think I may go with Bud's recommendation for the 12-1 George L. If I don't like it, well, I can always go back, or try the Super Sustain or E66. Also need to get shielded wire for the guitar. Someone looked at it with that recommendation (pretty obvious, but I just haven't had it done yet). The guitar also has the original volume know and tone control know. The recommendation was to get a new pickup, replace the wire, and take out the volume and tone control knobs. I hope my buzz will disappear with these adjustments.

Thanks for all of your help,
Heather