The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strings Make A Difference
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 6:39 pm    

I have had various experiments with strings in the past but to be honest that was mostly just trying various gauges. I have used various brands through the years and candidly I can't say that I've strongly preferred one over another.

That said, recently I tried the Live Steel Strings by Sid Hudson. I'm not sure I understand the science behind why they work so much better but MAN OH MAN! My guitar is singing like never before and it is staying in tune much better. As a matter of fact, I've been tortured most of my life because getting these stringed bicycles in tune is very challenging. Well, impossible if you want to be technical about it. However, I'm noticing that my guitar seems to be holding the tuning better. Just plainly more accurate if that is possible. On top of that, the strings are quite smooth. They just feel good to your hands.

So at last, I'm a believer in a particular brand of strings. Get you a set of these Live Steel Strings if you haven't already.

Stay tuned,

Zane

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2014 11:47 pm    

Yup! I agree. I've been using Jagwire stainless on my Zum and have been very satisfied with the sound. I really like them, but, Sid's strings are just unbelievable. They ring forever and just sound clearer. If that's possible. I don't understand the process either, but, he definitely has something there. I'm always open minded when it comes to these things, especially new innovations. I like to give them a try on my terms and these new strings seems to perform flawlessly,so far.

Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 7:49 am    

Welcome to the club Zane!!!, I've been using Sid's strings since I met Him in Saint Louis in 2012...I have them on My '76 PP and My '83 Custom Mullen,
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 4:14 pm    

Are you guys using, NICKLE or STAINLESS STEEL??

KEN

Mark Draycott

Princeton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 4:21 pm    

I put my first set on my Sho Bud and the difference is dramatic. I am using the stainless set and I cant believe how thick and full the guitar sounds now. I gave it a few weeks of playing around to see if it was just my imagination, but these strings are the difference.

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 5:14 pm    

Mark Draycott wrote:
I put my first set on my Sho Bud and the difference is dramatic. I am using the stainless set and I cant believe how thick and full the guitar sounds now. I gave it a few weeks of playing around to see if it was just my imagination, but these strings are the difference.

My experience is similar on a Pro III. I am sold completely.

Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 9:20 pm    

Just curious, how often do most folks change strings?

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 11:34 pm    

I'm using stainless and am real lazy about changing strings. I usually do it about every 6 months or so, depending on how much I play. Having said that, the stainless strings seem to last longer than the nickel, but they do sound a little bit more twangier. Some players don't like that sound, though.

Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2014 8:14 am    

In 40 yrs of playing I've tried a lot of different brands of strings, I used stainless for a long time cause the nickel on other brands seem to loose their luster to quick, when I started using Sids strings I settled on nickel again they seem to be a tad brighter and hold that luster a lot longer, I've been using them since they hit the forum and have only broken one string so far and that was because I left them on for about 4 months just waiting for them to start sounding a little dull and don't remember if they did or not but changed them anyway, I agree with what Zane said 100% great strings.

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2014 2:08 pm     What Type

Zane: Which type are you so happy with? I might try the freeze dried ones. Tommy......

Niels Andrews

Salinas, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2014 3:38 pm    

Well when I put the same gauge of live strings I picked up a buzz on the first fret that unless you really press down won't go away. So I put the old brand on and it goes away. So maybe it s just the setup of my guitar.

Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2014 2:17 am    

Kenneth,
I use nickel Myself...I've had the same set on My PP since December of 2012 and I recorded with it tonight...STILL sounded great if that's any indicator of string quality lol.
Tommy,
I can only speak from My experience but personally I like the standard nickel/stainless better then the Cryo-treated strings...don't get Me wrong, I'm not saying they're bad...just not My cup of tea.
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2014 6:08 am    

Tommy A & Kenneth - right now, I have a set of stainless Live Steel Strings on my guitar. I am going to try the nickel ones next.

Don - as far as how often to change strings it really depends on how often you play. I would say it is a lot like a mortgage payment for me. Seems like I do it about every month.
Smile

Stay tuned friends!

Zane

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2014 7:02 am    

I have to agree about these strings. They aren't cheap but they last so long and work so well that at the end of the day they are actually economical to use.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2014 7:12 am    

Amen Gary! And you get what you pay for to if you know what I mean. It's like hamburgers! Get the good stuff when ever possible. Very Happy

Geoff Noble

Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2014 8:08 am    

I play a Carter Uni 12 and recently bought two sets of Live Strings, a nickel set and a stainless set.

I haven't tried the stainless yet, I put on the nickel and they sound great, super sustain, great tone which has lasted since I put them on a few months ago. I'm not gigging but play almost every evening.

I use National picks and have tried brass, nickel and stainless steel versions with the Live nickel strings and there is a definite difference in the sound using the different picks. I find I prefer the stainless steel picks.

Maybe when I put on the stainless strings to try them I'll get the same sound using the nickel picks Smile

My only problem is I live in Scotland and have to import them which means paying custom & PO charges which makes them a bit more expensive, but TBH they are worth it.

"There is no bad music, only music you don't like" - Me

YTube- http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqsA-Ahlgr2Z2sw71WJHGg/videos

SCloud - https://soundcloud.com/just-jef/tracks

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2014 8:51 am    

I swore by Live Steel when I had my Mullen with the single coil pups, but when I switched out to a D-10 it had George L's and thought they were muddy so I went to Cobra Coils. I just replaced my E9 neck with a Telonics pup and have a set of Live Steel Stainless Cryogenics on the way and can't wait to get them changed.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2014 9:08 am    

I just bought a set from Sid and will try them out tonight.Can't wait to see if they are the way of the future.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 9:10 am    

Guys, I just wanted you to know that I'm about 3 months now into using the Live Steel Strings on my lap, dobro and pedal steel. I'm just more and more impressed each time I sit down to play. It's like I have brand new instruments! YAY! If you haven't tried these get on it now.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2014 11:25 am     String

Zane,
What are you using on your Dobro? Stainless or nickel? Thanks

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 9:07 am    

can anyone tell me what these are, stainless or nickel ? There was no marking on the package of e9, great strings but what are they?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 9:43 am    

Craig, if you ordered them direct, call them and ask "Hey, what did I order last time?".
They keep the records of what you order. And custom sets don't cost extra. You want a .012 3rd, a .022W 6th and a .036 10th? No more than a stock set.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2014 10:39 am    

Craig,

I've ordered stainless and nickel. My last order was for Nashville Nickel strings. The plastic sleeves on both sets have a round blue sticker with the letters NN handwritten in marker.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2014 4:10 am    

Hey Men, I bought them at the midwest steel show from Gary Sills wife a month ago, theres no markings on outer pack, the combo had 2=.012 I`m guessing there stainless, I`ll have to call him.
By the way they hold there tunings damn near perfect very quickly after a new sets installed, others usually take there time (3 days) strechin out and then some. Thanks guys

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2014 5:55 am     Live Steel

Live Steel Strings are great, I like the balance feel and sound of nickel.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com