The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel publications
William Steward

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 5:44 pm    

Are there any regular publications out there that cater strictly to steel guitar? I had Tom Bradshaw send me all the back issues of "Steel Guitarist" magazine which was short-lived and now out of print by twenty years. What a great publication which was crammed full of information, gossip, tips, ads, etc. I am surprised with all the magazines out there dedicated to every activity and fetish possible that there seems to be no good quality magazine for steel guitarists and steel afficionados. Maybe it is time...unless I am missing something that already exists. Surely the population of steel guitarists worldwide has doubled in twenty years. The SG Forum may have completely absorbed the need for a magazine and I am just old-fashioned since I like to read (and re-read) paper things.

[This message was edited by William Steward on 29 July 2002 at 09:36 AM.]

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 6:19 pm    

William,
I think the best written thing on steel guitar is the monthly newsletter from the Pedal Steel Guitar Association (PSGA). It's well worth the membership cost. Info at www.psga.org

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 28 July 2002 at 07:41 PM.]

William Steward

Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 6:26 pm    

Jim:
Thanks for that reference....by the way I am really digging your "Finally Here" CD which I got from Bobby Lee.

Wil

Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2002 6:31 pm    

[This message was edited by Larry Clark on 29 July 2002 at 02:08 AM.]

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 3:39 am    

There was a publication named Steel Guitar World, which was published for several years. Many folks, including myself, enjoyed it. It never quite matched the Bradshaw publication in quality however in my own opinion. The gentleman who owned it eventually went bankrupt. You may be able to obtain back issues of this.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Henning Kock

Denmark
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 4:07 am    

29.july.2002,
Hello William,
Thank you for your e-mail. Interesting that you lived and studied one year in Copenhagen, eller Koebenhavn, som de siger paa dansk, kan du huske det?
- - - - Now enough of this Mickey Mouse language - - - and on to your question regarding publications.
I have been subscribing since number one to PSGA. Also the Ozark.
There is a new one, the NTSGA.
Ozark Steel Guitar Association
P.O. Box 1108
Hollister, MO 65672
USA
NORTH TENNESSEE STEEL GUITAR ASSOCIATION
P. O. BOX 603
MADISON, TN 37116
USA
I also subscribe to one in England, and there is one in Australia.
All the best,
Henning
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Henning Kock
(pedal steel guitar, piano, keyboards)
Henning K. Music
111 Aarhusvej
DK-8300 Odder
Denmark,
Europe
phone 8654 2959
--------------------------------------------
e-mail address: henningkmusic@hotmail.com
webpages:
pedal steel guitar: www.geocities.com/Nashville/1520 www.steelguitardanmark.subnet.dk (information)
piano & keyboard: www.sitecenter.dk/henning-kock www.danskmusik.com/dmfbook/selskab/html/henning_kock.html
and for musical instrument products wholesale (to dealers): www.henningkmusic.subnet.dk
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

------------------

William Steward

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 8:50 am    

Steve thanks...I will try to track down some back issues of Steel Guitar World.

Henning will also look for your suggestions and am joining PSGA as we speak. There is nothing 'mickey mouse' about Danish but the trouble is only 7 or 8 million people in the world speak it and when addressed in Danish by a foreigner they usually reply in English, German or whatever! Glad to hear the steel guitar is alive and well there...what a great place. There used to be a faux "american" cafe in Copenhagen called the The Truckstop...is it still there?

It remains perplexing to me that every group out there from gerbil breeders to cigar smokers can support glossy magazines and yet there has not been a successful steel guitar publication of the quality of Guitar Player. I asked my old friend Jim Crockett (original publisher of Keyboard, Frets, Guitar Player, etc.) if he might be interested - maybe there is someone out there with the resources they want to risk?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 9:49 am    

I daresay there are far more gerbil breeders who smoke cigars than steel guitarists...

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2002 12:06 pm    

There are peole who HAVE risked capital to try and get a magazine going-but on top of the fact that there's durn few of us to begin with, we're not a huge buying type demographic. So there's not much on the table by way of potential ad revenue. The PSGA is the only publication that stays in the black, mostly because they don't overdo it, cost-wise. Everyone else went broke trying to make something work. They all switched to raising gerbils and smoking cigars.

JB

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 6:46 am    

What about gerbles who smoke the cigars themselves?

Russ Rask didn't merely go bankrupt, he lost his home, which was foreclosed on him, and subsequently had a heart attack.

As of this moment, he seems to have disappeared. His phone has been disconnected, and his E-mail address is no longer valid. I don't even know if he is still alive.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 8:09 am    

I got a letter yesterday that said something like "I don't have a computer. Please send me information about your Steel Guitar Forum."

There are a lot of steel players who don't use computers. I think there's a market for a real magazine, but I don't have the time and energy to produce one.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2002 8:38 am    

Quote:
I don't even know if he is still alive.....

Mike: That hurts !! I knew him very briefly and I liked the relationship I had with him.
He gave my speaker project the first breathe of air and though it eventually failed of it's own weight, I respect him for that. He was truly a friend of steel guitar. If anyone has word of his whereabouts and health perhaps they would post it on the Forum. We should not take our friends lightly lest others do us the same favor !!

At one time, Rayman (sp??) posted that he might take up SGWM and get it back to life. I for one would like to know if that is still a possiblity......

Regards, Paul