The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ampeg PF350...anyone tried it?
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 12:02 pm    

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-350-portaflex-350w-bass-amp-head?pfm=sp

Its currently the same price as GK's MB-200, but has some nice additional features:

-350 Watts to GK's 200
-an effects loop
-two speaker connections with regular 1/4" jacks (the MB 200 has those crappy speakon connectors)

I'm wondering if it sounds as good as the MB-200 for steel...

James Murray

Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 2:37 pm    

Rick, I took everything I would need to play a job to a local music store to try the GK MB200. They did not have one in stock so I played everything they had. TC Elec. 200 W and about a 450W TC. Genz Benz around 500W
and the Ampeg PF350. The Ampeg had the best tone to me
for steel and seemed to have plenty of power. I was playing a 1501 4BW. The Ampeg is the only one I would have bought for steel. My 2 cents. Cannot say about the GK.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2014 4:49 pm    

I bought a PF350 and I really didn't like it. I use a pair of Ampeg BA-112's, in stereo, for "quiet' gigs, and absolutely love the sound. I was very disappointed with the 350.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2014 3:17 pm    

I have a PF 500 that I like a lot for Bass, the mid range function might be limiting for Steel (it has a 5 position rotary switch). I suspect but cannot confirm at this time that it would work well for me.

YMMV - if you want the extra headroom, I'd go for the restock 500 @$279:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-pf-500-portaflex-500w-bass-amp-head/h71373002000000

Fraser Moffatt

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2014 7:23 pm    

hey all...first post on this forum after lurking the last several months.

I've played my bass through both the PF350 and PF500 (and the companion 1x15 cab) over the last few years in studio and live settings. Great bass amp for the price and size.

Before I acquired an NV112 (just this week), I ran my PSG through the Ampeg rig. Didn't sound too bad after adding delay and 'verb (I have a variety of rack mount and stomp boxes effects to cover this off). The Ampeg was much better sounding that my pair of '64 and '65 Gibson Falcons (GA19-RVTs). Those otherwise amazing amps were just too noisy and spiky with my BMI S10.

After picking up the NV112, I am much more impressed with the Peavey over the Ampeg. While the PF500 did an admirable job amplifying the BMI, it just didn't have "that voice" (according to my rank PSG amateur ears, but also according to my 30+ year guitar tone odyssey).

I have found the Peavey, for its size, weight and tone, to punch well above its weight compared to the Ampeg. And then there's the fact that you don't need much in the way of effects with the Peavey. I have been blown away by the reverb on this thing...even in comparison to my Gibsons or the Fender Deluxe Reverb I owned and played for several years.

The Peavey also sounds great with the el cheap Peavey Powerslide lap steel that I have been dabbling with recently. Something about that cheap pickup and that amp just works.

However, running my Tele though the solid state Peavey reminds me why I have played though tube guitar amps most of my adult life. Very Happy

I'll work on getting some comparative sound clips of the two uploaded in the near future of the BMI though the Ampeg and through the PF500.

BTW, loving this forum/site. I have learned more than I thought possible about PSG in the last few months - from players, playing techniques and gear. Total class act all the way.

Fraser