The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Guitar Noise Problems
Heather Murray

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 10:54 am    

I play an MSA 12 string with a single coil pickup, which can create a unfavorable hum. sometimes it is no big deal, other times it is too LOUD. Also, my volume isn't as loud as i want it to be. may be because i am playinng through a tube rather than a solid state.

I am playing through an old Peavey tube amp that is in great shape, just had it retubed and fixed up.

Any advice on lowering the buzz? recommend a great shielded guitar cable? if so, where do i get it?

thanks
heather

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 11:04 am    

A different cable might help. Borrow one from a guitar player and try it.
More likely the hum is being picked up by your pickup. (duh) A humbucking pickup might help a lot.

In the meantime, when you get a bad hum, try moving your guitar around and facing in a different direction. This method is cheaper than the others. While you move the guitar for the test, don't use the volume pedal; in other words run your cord straight from the guitar to the amp. Otherwise the volume will change and you won't know what is making the hum level go up and down.

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 11:08 am    

If it's the original factory pickup, you need to replace it with a humbucker.

Timmy Witt

Rocky Face, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 2:22 pm    

The only way to get that hum out is to go with a humbucker pickup, certain effects units have a hum filter like the profex, it does remove the hum, but the after effects are awful. Alot of people are using the Bill Lawrence pickups, everybody says they are silent even at full volume. I've got a couple ordered, so I guess I will find out. I have an Emmons 108n humbucker and it still has some hum at full volume just not as bad as a single coil. Hope that helped.

------------------
Tim
1990 Lashley Legrande D10 8 & 4. Profex II, Blue Tube II, Nashville 400

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 4:41 pm    

Heather, if your getting a lot of hum and low volume/output its possible the pickup has bad windings..Granted a single coil will have a little hum, but normally its not excessive..Many "NAME" players still use single coils with the possible exception of in a studio..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

Peter

Post  Posted 11 Jul 2002 10:07 pm    

Also check for loose connections or bad connections. Touch or slightly move the wires underneath the guitar, the cables etc.

[This message was edited by Peter on 11 July 2002 at 11:08 PM.]

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 3:49 am    

Peter, I would plug directly into amp and see how that does. If you still have the problem try and isolate it by varifying the amp plays well with another guitar or try your guitar with another amp. I think you have to isolate where the problem is before you change your pickup.

Heather Murray

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 7:29 am    

thanks for all of your replies.

I just had my guitar and amp worked on, and all seem to be fine with both. I have played my guitar through other people's amps, and still get teh buzz, though it seems to not be as bad with solid state amps vs. tubes. if i change to a humbucker, will it drastically change my steel's sound, or just effect the hum. i know it is going to effect the sound a bit, but i don't want to alter the sound too much.

what humbucker makers do you recommend? any links on the web?

thanks
heather

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 8:18 am    

If you go to the top of this page & click "links", then click "Steel gtr. manufacturers & related products, you can find both George L's & Lawrence's websites.
There are PLENTY of MSA owners on here that can help steer you toward the right pickup for your guitar. I just don't think they've found you yet. You could also shoot an e-mail to Reece at www.msapedalsteels.com Hey, never hurts to ask. Hope any of this helps.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 8:45 am    

Of those 2 humbucking pickups, the George L pickups have better hum rejection, but the Lawrence sounds better.

Make sure that you find one that fits on your MSA. Measure the hole and call Lawrence to see if they have one that fits.

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 10:34 am    

I had a bad hum and crackle on my Shobud and replaced the singlecoil with a George L PFII. The PFII got rid of the hum but the nasty crackle was still there. It appeared when I would touch the knee levers with my knees without having my hand on the strings. It turns out that the end plate wasn't grounded to the changer at all. I ran a small 1" piece of wire between a screw on the end plate and a screw on the changer and fixed the problem. It has never crackled again and I love the sound of the George L.

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 12:14 pm    

I too favor George L's pickups although that's not to say that a Lawrence wouldn't be the right call for your MSA. From what I've read above, if you go with George L's, I would suggest starting with an E-66 as my guess it would be closest to the sound you're trying to preserve, minus the hum of course.
I've owned 2 MSA's in my past but didn't get into swapping out pickups. That's why I think you need to hear from more MSA players.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 1:49 am    

Heather,
If you go to the Carter site, you can hear what humbuckers sound like. Personally, I don't like them, they sound very nasal. You might prefer a good quality single coil, such as the ones on Mullen steels.
Has anyone tried Jerry Wallace single coils yet? I would be interested in some reviews.