The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What is that sound?
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2002 7:42 pm    

Been listening to Tom Morrel's "How the West Was Swung". It's that fat rich sound. Sounds vintage to me. I know this is well known to many here but this goes back before my experience began with steel. I also hear the similar sound from Buddy the first tune("my pillow") on R. Miller's "Trip To the Country".It sure aint an Emmons,Shobud and I dont think MSA. Oh....and "Spongebob Squarepants" too. So is this the Bigsby sound? What does Tom M. play?

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2002 9:21 pm    

A Bigsby. Jody.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 7:39 am    

Depends on which CD. Jody's right -- it's the Bigsby on most, but "HTWWS" is a series of CDs and Tommy plays at least a couple of different guitars -- both pedal and non-pedal. I only have four of the discs, but on the ones I have (according to the liner notes which I believe Morrell wrote -- he at least did the artwork ) :
On Vol II and III "Let's Ride with Bob & Tommy" and "Let's Take Another Ride with B&T" he was playing a 1959 Sho-Bud.
On Vol VII "No Peddlers Allowed" he plays the '54 triple-10 Bigsby -- through a LabSeries L7 Amp with 4x10s.
He also plays the Bigsby on Vol VI "Smoke a Little of This!" and on "Pterodactyl Ptales" (my favorite of the bunch)
That Bigsby is one sweet sounding horn. The Bud ain't bad either. Morrell doesn't seem to care whether it's pedals or not.

Also, if you're listening to the Gary Brandin episodes of SpongeBob, it's probably a D-8 Rickenbacker which is his main axe on his most recent CD he did with his son Geoff "The Vanduras" -- tone to the bone.

You hit two of my favorite players --both for content/style and tone.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 8:23 am    

Larry, I only have volume 1 but my guess would be he's using the '54 triple neck Bigsby. Tom M. is somethin else. Yep, sure aint no "new kid on the block". Lookin forward to the rest of the series. Pteradactyle Ptales will be next.
I'll have to check in to the Brandin stuff.

[This message was edited by Steven Welborn on 30 June 2002 at 09:30 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 8:30 am    

Steve,
Look carefully at the liner notes (I don't have that one) -- he's usually pretty meticulous about documenting what he played. That Bigsby is a really cool guitar. He only strings the back two necks. Uses the front one for a wet bar and ashtray holder.

You'd probably know right off if it's the Bud or the Bigsby -- very different sounds -- but both what I'd call vintage steel sounds.

You're right -- MONSTER PLAYER

Also, Gary's Vanduras album is in the Forum Catalog.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

[This message was edited by Larry Bell on 30 June 2002 at 09:32 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 9:57 am    

Tommy sold that Bigsby to Mike Black(you lucky dog)but as a tribute to that guitar and how I should be the owner of it...ah...ah...ha.....Here is a couple of shots of me playing it for the last time. And also other various shot from the Texas Steel guitar Convention and of course Tommy Morrell playing his CW guitar now.
http://www.geocities.com/tsgc2002/

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 30 June 2002 at 11:03 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 10:13 am    

Larry is right!
Everyone needs to own Gary's CD. Nice sounds from Gary playing different steels including his Franklin on 2 cuts!

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 2:04 pm    

xxzz

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2002 2:36 pm    

zzxx

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 7:52 pm    

Against my better judgement not to post again
I have to compliment Mike Black, he is most
knowledgeable with western swing history as
well as his exceptional talent at his craft
of repairing guitars for a hobby,,if he chose
he could do it for a living.

It is not often,if at all that Mike posts anything,,,but when he does he makes his point without a bunch of fanfare,,he is precise and on the money.

Mike your'e comments regarding Emmons and Joaquin are exactly how I feel and I share the same opinions that you do.

I have listened to Tom's recordings and I feel in MHO that he is without a doubt an extension of the great players of those you mention.

No question as to his feel and technique & his exciting drive,,I would say this about Tom Morrel,,,,,"This Is Tom's World" We just play in it,,

If that has a familiar ring to it,,it should
those were the words quote by Dean Martin,,Vic Damone,,Tony Bennett,,about a "skinny" kid from Hoboken New Jersey who became the "Chairman Of The Board" need I mention his name???,,,,I dont think so,,not if ya'll know who the greatest crooner was for more than 4 decades.

Tom Morrel is everything that that "skinny" fiesty,,,rough & tough,,Italian kid was,,he was the greatest,,,and Morrel sounds like he is on the same "wave length".

Im happy for you to have Tom's guitar,there is much "soul" in that guitar and I hope that
some of Tom's expertise rubs off on you. I thank you for sending me some of Tom's material,,he has a true friend in you and Im
sure the feeling in mutual with Tom as well,,
Be good my friend,,and do that guitar up the
way only you can,,it would do Tom proud for you to make that Bigsby sing as Tom did so many times over

Remember,,,this is Morrel's world,,we just live in it, be well,,,,I couldn't resist not posting this,,,I have made myself a promise not to post again,,,,but for Tom and yourself,,it was worth it...

Emmoms is GREAT,,,Murphey is GREAT,,,but Morrel??? enough said. I think I have made my point..he belongs in the Western Swing HOF,,,I think he is the greatest,,Mike wanna start a "Steel Guitar Rat Pack"???

Best to you keep in touch..

Jody PS,,,,He speaks to me "loudest" as well as he does to you,,,,its not what he says..but how he says it.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 07 July 2002 at 08:56 PM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 8:17 pm    

Mike my Brother......very great speach and info there pal......you are a historian of Western Swing my friend; and I will take you up on the offer to pick that piece of history when we meet up again.......I would be highly Honored.
Hey Jody......don't know if I told you this....I may of told Mike but I'm sure if Mike knows than Tommy told him.
I asked Morrell......:"Hey Tommy....who inspires/inspired you.....I mean who did you look up to as far as playing???" He looked right at me and said.....:"Vance Terry".....my jaw dropped......not that Vance was not just the most awesome player...but that Tommy acutally was inspired by another Steel player.....and I thought that was a great pat on Vance's back for what he did and the way he played back when he was alive and playing well(God rest his Soul).
Believe me when I say....."The greatest Steel players in the world that we know and respect......Have Tommy Morrell waaaaay up on the highest mountain"......I have watched the great...
Quote:
Insert Name Here____
watch and listen to Tommy play.....and the intensity of the enjoyment was OVER-whelming.

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebelâ„¢ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 07 July 2002 at 09:19 PM.]

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 10:36 am    

xzz

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 11:32 am    

Mike, thanks for sharing some of your wealth of knowledge. I learn something new every day, I never associated a Bud with that sound before. In addition to Tom's touch of course, my hunch is 4x10's might contribute to that well rounded tone. Just a guess.
What a fortunate thing that Tom M. is documenting his work well with all these series. To bad there wasnt more from J. Murphy. When I listen to Morrell, I hear a " to hell with everything and everybody Im gonna play what I damn well want and have a great time doin it" attitude. Its good to listen to T.M. and be reminded of essential ingredients. Id have to say the same for the great players he surrounded himself with as well. And guys like D.Rhinehart, C.Christian come to mind with same vitality. over and out.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 11:45 am    

Just like Sinatra,,,,Tom plays with an attitude,,,thats what makes him Great.

Its the way he "wears his hat"...his swagger and his talent,, let me out of here...

Morrel is the Chairman of the Board. It takes
the expertise of being "weaned" on a non pedal guitar that adds to his talent. I posted on this thread against my better judgement,,I made a promise and I broke it by posting,,but I did it for Tom and Mike,,
and that "one time" skinny kid from HOBOKEN NJ....the "Chairman of The Board"

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 11 July 2002 at 05:44 AM.]

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 3:04 pm    

A source for the series of records: http://www.westernswing.net/morrell/

I can't figure out which he might've used pedals on.