The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do I get the clean steel guitar sound in Garageband?
John Botofte

Denmark
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 2:20 pm    

Hello from Belgium.
I am trying to record both my pedal steel guitar and my lap steel to the latest version of Garageband via my iTrack Solo but I am not happy with the sound, it is neither warm, nor clean. Sounds great coming from my Peavey Nashville amp though. What am I missing - what settings do I need to tune in Garageband to approximate the beautiful steel guitar sound? I am really looking for concrete suggestions - e.g. settings in GB. All the "Clean Guitar" settings sound very computerish to me.
All help very much appreciated!
Thanks
John

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 2:46 pm    

Are you trying to record what is coming from your amp?
If so, put the amp in a different room from where your steel guitar is.
Stick a mic (like a Shure 57) in front of the amp and run the mic into your interface.
Play something on your steel guitar while listening to it through your studio monitors. That's the sound that's going to go to "tape".
If you're not happy with the tone, adjust the amp and/or mic position unitl you are.

I'm not familiar with any of the amp models that are included with Garageband so I can't help you there.
However, I do own a copy of Line 6 Pod Farm Platinum version, and I've been pretty happy with the Blackface Twin model included with that software.

Another thing you might be able to try is splitting the signal. Record one track clean and the other track coming from your amp.
When you're done recording, experiment with the clean track by using the amp models in Garageband.
You never know, you might come up with a sound that you really like.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 9:56 am    

you're asking a recording question..the variables are many.

What pre-amp are you using, what mic are you using, are you overloading the front end of the PC recorder ? These are the things we deal with on a regular basis. How are you monitoring the signal going into the recorder ? And I don't mean by listening to the amp... Are you using a limiter, slight compression ? are you using any processors or amp modeler ? What EQ 's are you using, what are the EQ levels ?
ETC....What are the input level meters reporting ?

Garage band is very capable of producing a very clean recording. IT's up to us to engineer to get to that nice recording.

Lots of questions ...no real easy fast answer...

tony

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Jan Oelbrandt

Herzele, Belgium
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2014 3:47 am    

also greetings from Belgium...
As the other two already said: to be able to help you out, we have to know how you're working (signal-flow) as it is now.
But as far as I can tell:
if you like the sound coming from your amp, put a decent mic in from of it (about 10cm, and not in-line with the magnet works best for me) and be sure the mic signal is transferred clean (no overload or peak indicators, ever) to your computer. use a mic channel, not an instrument channel or something else (as you already are using a amp+mic setup in my example).
From there, if the sound is coming in clean and you're still not happy, try adjusting the mic placement (every centimeter further away and every adjustment in angle sounds different), maybe try an other mic if you can, and to top things of: try putting an EQ on the track

Besides,
glad getting to know a fellow belgian steeler. He're something I recently recorded using dobro, weissenborn, pedal and lap steel: dimming of the day

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2014 1:56 pm    

Very nice!

Rick

John Botofte

Denmark
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 5:09 am    

I find that it is easier to record directly to my computer via my usb interface than with a mic, but I am having difficulties recreating the warm tone through the simulated amps in Garageband. Maybe they are not good enough for pedal steel, but considering all the available settings, one should think it was possible. How do others use GB/Logic or other software?

https://soundcloud.com/lapsteelin1965

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 6:07 am    

John Botofte wrote:
How do others use GB/Logic or other software?

record you guitars without amp simulators, get it as clean as you can so your raw signal is as clean as possible. ADD your effects and processors AFTER the initial clean recording or be sure your effects or processors are POST the recording signal.

Steel > amp or direct to preamp > DAW RECORDING TRACK > PROCESSORS...( POST )

Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2014 11:03 am    

John Botofte wrote:

How do others use GB/Logic or other software?

I'm using Line 6 Pod Farm Platinum software with Presonus Studio One for my DAW.
So far, I'm happy with the results.

Tony Prior's advice of recording your steel guitar clean and play with your amp models afterwards is good.
In the end, maybe amp modeling isn't for you...which is fine.
Tinkering around with a mic and amp may require some patience, but if your not happy with the amp models in Garageband, then it's necessary.

Rick

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2014 3:37 am    

I should have also stated, you can monitor your track recording POST the raw track with effects and amp simulators , that's not an issue, actually it's quite common, but the raw recording is clean, unaltered.

I have never worked with GB but I know many who have and they have produced very nice tracks...

It's the process, not the DAW...

good luck

y

James Quillian

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2014 5:20 pm    

I have started using a direct box to a pre amp to the computer. That work a lot better for me than micing an amp. IMO a direct box gets a better sound than going through an sm57 or something. The sound a mic reproduces onto the computer is not the same sound an ear hears coming directly out of a speaker. I think a direct box actually gets a more authenic sound.

Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2014 4:45 pm     Recording

These days so many companies have programs out there that you can record to. Giving you all kinds of effects and what have you for you to put in the signal chain. They make it so easy to do all of this and if you are not careful you will end up with the sound you do not want. First off you must know how to record properly and in what order should you insert things into the signal chain. When you get to know what you are doing you can insert anything anywhere as long as you know what you are doing and are getting the sound you want. Remember when you record with all your effects on the first take and not put them in after you are stuck with the recording. So like Tony said just record the stripped down version with as little in the signal chain as possible. Add later and when ya get to know what you are doing, it will be your canvas.
Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2015 4:16 am    

John I just ran across your thread as I was searching through the Forum for more information on signal chain and proper setup for recording.

I’m still experimenting with recording direct and being new as I am, finding that there’s a lot to learn, and like someone said, “it the process”.

I haven’t been completely happy with what I’m hearing when I record direct... To me it sounds a little listless and lifeless compared to recording an amp with a mic... I’ve used some of the Amp modeling programs in Garageband and believe it was the Cool Jazz Combo that I liked the best, but don’t remember any of the perimeters I used.

This is what I’ve been getting using a Profex ll and micing a Session 500 with a Shure SM-57, into a PreSonus Firestudio Project and Thunderbolted into a Mac with Garageband.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8VW-yqKTTqlmNe9zP-NtFvVHl6OkHZBa

This isn’t exactly what I’m trying to get either but is closer than what I’ve gotten going direct... I just bought a Lexicon MPX1 and sent it out to have some steel guitar settings programed into it, so am really anxious to keep working at the direct method... I love the idea of direct because it just seems to me to be a more controlled way to record, and if I can conquer some of the sterility issues I’m having (with the sound Laughing) then I’ll be a happy camper... right now, in the back of my mind I’m thinking that what I end up with will be a combination of direct recording and recording with a mic, maybe on 3-4 separate channels.... I’ve received a lot of good advice from fellas like Rick and Tony, and Mark and am pretty sure their advice will help get me to where I want to be.... They’re all pretty sharp!!!

Good luck in your quest... you’ll get there.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Miguel Saldana

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2015 11:53 am    

An option would be to take the Preamp Out from your Nashville into the DAW. That way you have the EQ and reverb settings you like from your amp. Depending on your preference, you may look at adding a speaker/cab emulation in-the-box along with any other processing.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 12:53 am    

Like many things in life, if the BEGINNING is good , everything that follows has value.

IF we are trying to use a $49 preamp to record direct then you should expect a $49 solution.

Using simulators is also just a CRxxP shoot.

Think about your amp, if it has a clean preamp with good sonic EQ , thats a good thing. When recording direct you want the exact same thing, not a substitute.

Most interfaces to DAW's are not actually preamps, they are just a means to an end. We plug in and then hunt and peck inside the DAW effects for a good tone. That in itself is not a bad thing but requires all sorts of seat time to dial it in.

IF you , me, we, want to record direct, get the proper tool on the front end ahead of the interface. I am not talking an amp simulator, I am talking a quality preamp with EQ ,a channel strip such as a DBX or a Joe Meeks etc. Dial in the tone before you record and print that to the track. I am not talking about thousand of dollars here, a couple hundred can do the trick.

Yes , you can record direct and use your DAW EQ's but you will need to spend the time to write a patch and then save it. Many folks do this with great success. Using a channel strip on the front end is also a very viable option as it takes "seconds" to dial in a tone you like with the on board EQ. Kinda like turning the knobs on your amp, just no speaker now.

Recording with a mic as well as direct is a process that requires seat time, I personally don't record anything "LIVE MIC" anymore unless I have explored all direct options first. Vocals, obviously are mic'd.

As of late, I am moving as much OUT of the Pro Tools BIN to the front end process, dialing in as close a tone as I can ahead of the DAW, printing to the track and not spending gobs of time analyzing and seeking EQ tones for each track. Today that appears to be a 50/50 process in studio's. More time on the front end, less on the back end.

Regarding printing EQ to the track..

Not long ago I visited a Nashville Pro in his studio, he played me some tracks to a new artist he was recording, he had Tommy White and Brent Mason on the track. We were talking about printing EQ to the track not using DAW EQ's...He simply said, listen to this, Tommy and Brent, why would anyone want to mess with that ! One was direct the other was mic'd, but the point was clear, get the best sound you can UP front, print it, don't look back.

I do not pretend to be a recording expert by any stretch but I do know that once I started using the DBX 376 Channel strip, recording life changed dramatically ! My process is the same, every session, every track. The EQ may be different but the process is the same.

Apple Pie and Ice Cream !

Here is the my most recent track , drums and Bass (lazy) are BIAB untouched, AC guitars and Steel thru the 376, slight verbs and slight delay from the effects bin but other than that..naked ! It may not be for everyone but the Sho Bud came thru as expected, at least to my ears.

https://soundcloud.com/rumbleroomaudio/sho-bud-traditional-country

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 4:06 am    

Tony,

Are you sure you are not a professional recording engineer?

That is some of the best advice I have ever seen on the Forum and totally spot on.

During my days in Nashville due to the limitations of tape, we normally did eq and record it that way to avoid the issue of eq'ing the tape hiss if it were a non dolby session.

I can't tell you enough how many times I would go to a session and see the engineer just start twisting knobs before even listening to the sound of the instruments in the studio. I am glad that this trend is starting to disappear.

Again, great advice to anyone who wants to make a quality recording.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2015 6:15 am    

mtulbert wrote:
Tony,

Are you sure you are not a professional recording engineer?

Mark, yes, I am certain ! Laughing