The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Transporting Heavy Gear
Mike Harmon

Overland, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 7:57 pm    

What's the best method for moving amps and (heavy) guitars around? Do you just grab them by the case handles and heave, or do you use a 2-wheeler, dolly wheels, etc.

I am a PSG newbie with a Sho-Bud Pro III Custom and a Nashville 400, and neither of them is something I enjoy lugging around very much.

I know that at least SOME of you pros out there must make use of something a little less awkward than brute arm power.

------------------
Mike Harmon
Sho-Bud Pro III Custom
Nashville 400

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 8:27 pm    

Good question. I'm looking to buy one of those dollies that converts from flat into a handtruck. Can't remember where I saw them advertised but don't see them in the stores around here. Anyone know? Maybe it's a catalog item?

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 8:57 pm    

Jim, They have those carts in the "American Musical Supply" catalog. They come in three different sizes. It looks like a pretty handy gadget. I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 9:04 pm    

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I just looked them up on the web and couldn't find them listed in their catalog. But maybe it wasn't the same place. I did a search and came up with "www.americanmusical.com" Any chance you've got a different URL for them?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2002 10:35 pm    

www.globalindustrial.com

These guys will have what you need.

I use this one made by Harper:
You can move the handle so it becomes a regular hand truck.

Much better prices and better service than the consumer level carts the music guys have.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 07 July 2002 at 11:37 PM.]

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 4:28 am    

If you have the building supply chain called Lowes near you, they have a really neat 2 wheel dolly with 7" wheels that supports 200 lbs., folds completely flat, and weighs almost nothing. It sells for $39.95. You would probably have to make one trip with your amp and one with your steel though, since it would be doubtful you could get both on the cart at the same time, but you might if you put the amp on first, then turned the steel case sideways on top of it. This thing goes down small enough to put under your seat or in the overheads on a plane. Check em out.

[This message was edited by George Kimery on 08 July 2002 at 05:48 AM.]

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 5:35 am    

Jim, at the tope of their home page there is a box that says "search by Keyword or Item #. Put in the item number and they will come up. The item numbers in the regular catalog are: RRO R2, RRO R8, and RRO R10. Hope this helps.
Bob

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 5:48 am    

Thanks, guys. I found 'em. Bob Hoffnar, how heavy is yours? They don't mention weight in the online specs. Thx,
jc

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 6:37 am    

I use two Dirt Bike rams that I bought at a motorcycle shop. I place them side-by-side at the width of my dolly wheels. It's then simply a matter of rolling the dolly up the ramp (into the truck) and placing blocks behind the dolly wheels. You would be surprised how easy and fast this is...and no heavy lifting. I've had two hernia operations and this method presents very little stress on the back or the "gut".

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 7:08 am    

The "Wheel Ease" case by Sierra has helped a great deal in transporting the guitar. A small $20.00 hand truck does the trick for moving a combo amp and other stuff or you could put casters on the bottom of the amp. I prefer to not have casters on the amp.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 8:44 am    

Jim,
The hand truck I have is bulky and weighs around 15 lbs I think. I just toss everything in the back of a pickup truck. My issue is getting to the club in one trip after I find parking in NYC. I need to roll my gear for several blocks over curbs and busted up sidewalks. There are lighter and smaller carts out there. But the one I have suits my needs. If I was cabbing it I would get one of those folding ones the photo guys use.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 08 July 2002 at 09:45 AM.]

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 9:49 am    

Heave Ho!

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 12:23 pm    

Mars Music sells a pretty nice one that folds up for about $100. They list for $150, but you can catch them on sale. You can probably find them on the net. They have stores in different states. The handle folds down and the bottom slides together and makes a pretty good amp stand, when folded up it is 16 x 22 x 9 inches high, and has 4 inch wheels. Weighs about eight to ten pounds maybe. It is mostly square tubed aluminum.

Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 3:56 pm    

I use a hand truck like the one pictured above in Bob's last post, except mine has a shorter tongue. It weighs next to nothing, and folds down to about two inches thick. It's plenty sturdy (unless you need to move a refrigerator), and It's also wide enough that I can roll my steel all set up, just by placing a front leg and a back leg on the tongue. A flat cart might be better if you need to carry a lot of stuff in one trip, but I wouldn't be without that folding hand truck.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 6:46 pm    

Mike,
If there is a Harbor Freight store in your town,check out thier flat carts. I have the small one$19.95 and it works great,also folds flat,it dont work too good on dirt,grass,real rough sidewalks/curbs.
They have the foldup dollys also.
Bill

------------------

[This message was edited by Bill Ford on 08 July 2002 at 07:47 PM.]

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 7:45 pm    

I subscribe to the 75 step rule: Any further than that, I start looking for a two-wheeler, or our piano player.(I usually get stuck helping him with his Yamaha electric - It weighs as much as my Sho~Bud and my Session 400 combined)

kbdrost

Prospect Heights, IL
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 8:07 pm    

Mike, I have exactly the same set up as you--Pro III Custom & Nasville 400. Finally, after lugging these things around from gig to gig, I got a couple of Edgar ATA cases with wheels. The steel case has wheels of its own, in case I'm going someplace that has an amp. If I'm taking them both, the Nasville case has 4 wheels & I put the Sho Bud on top. Moves fine, makes evrybody get out of my way when I get up a head of steam.

------------------

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2002 8:17 pm    

Sorry for the long link, but here's a link to several carts: http://www.shop-for-housewares.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SFHO&Category_Code=ht

The one I bought and use is the "Handee Truck 4x4". It works great as either a two or four wheeler. As a two wheeler I can carry just the guitar. I usually use it as a four wheeler, lay the guitar on the bottom and stack my seat, rack case, and speakers on top.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 1:21 am    

The one I have is the same as the one Bob Hoffnar shows, I bought it at Home Depot. It does the job for me.

------------------
SUAS U' PHIOB
Geo

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 9:19 am    

In the "olden days"........there were always so many folks hanging around for the honor of packing one's gear.....you almost had to draw straws to determine who the lucky one was going to be.
Today....they're hard to find..and usually want money!
Gone are the good ole days, ahhh yes.

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 9:24 am    

[This message was edited by Keith Murrow on 26 October 2004 at 04:03 PM.]

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 2:58 pm    

Rock n' Roller. www.daddario.com

Gene Sharp

Cypress, TX. - N/W Outpost, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 4:27 pm    

I bought a dolly that converts into a 4 wheeler at Walmart, for $ 39.95. Has pneumatic tires and carries my ax, amp, seat, rack, accessory bag, and tool kit. Has rubber protection on the back/bottom brace to protect your load from scratches.

Geno

------------------

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2002 6:02 pm    

Magliner, not cheap.
http://www.backstageweb.com/magliner.htm

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2002 11:15 am    

Chas.,
My dear fellow ,you are talking 1st class!!!

Bill

------------------