The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Quick Rondo Music's SX Lap 2 Ash Review
Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 1:04 pm    

Finish is light & even, it almost feels like natural wood. This also applies to the fret board.

The overall look of the instrument is pretty classy, except for the position markers. WHY they placed dime-sized dots in the first 4 positions baffles me. Rolling Eyes

The strings lined up over the pole pieces fine.

The intonation was slightly off, but dropping the bridge all the way down & a few adjustments fixed this.

The nut seems a little light, but solid.

The tuners feel smooth & solid, tho they ALL needed a little tightening before I re-strung it.

The Volume & Tone controls work smoothly, except for the last 1/6th of the tone Controls travel. When turning it down there is a lot of quick, sudden drops in the High End, tho up until this part the Highs drop very smoothly.

The input jack, after about 10 or so inserts, feels "OK", but does not supply a nice, solid feeling "click" like when it was new. No problems so far tho with any type of short or drop outs.

The legs are WAY better than what is on the Rogue Lapsteel, and can be adjusted to a standing height, at the cost of a lowered sitting position. The legs are around 3" too long when collapsed all the way IMHO. The sockets & the screws on the legs seem pretty solid & are not flimsy at all.

The soft case is built along the lines of the Rogue one, with slightly less padding. It has a strap to hold the steel in place, a separate compartment for the legs, and a small pocket on the outside. The zippers feel OK, but not "heavy duty". I wish I would have grabbed one of these when they came with the hard case, so that might be a future purchase. It also has non-removable shoulder straps, which I don't like because they do not open far enough for a comfortable fit for myself.

Now for the big question, the sounds. It sounds absolutely fine as is, stock from Rondo. The pickup is reasonably warm sounding, with a slight mid-range bite to it. It lacks some clarity in the highs, but overall I am surprised at the tone of this P90 clone. It holds tune fine. I feel no need to update anything at this time.

I have played 2 "living room jam sessions" & a 5 song "performance" & so far am VERY happy with it. If Rondo would make an 8 string with this level of quality they would kill the Morrell models IMHO, this 6 string one already does that to their 6 string models, and is way ahead of the Rogue all around IMHO.

I feel that anyone looking to get started in playing lapsteel save the extra $$ & grab the SX Lap 2. The Rogue's short scale & tight string spacing was more of a hindrance to my playing than I ever would have guessed. Since getting the SX I have now been able to play songs that I had major problems with before, and I attribute this to the longer scale length & the wider string spacing.

I am a very happy camper! Cool

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 2:39 pm    

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Rondo/Rondo.html

I agree they should make an 8 string version!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 2:58 pm    

I have the 4 lap steels you see listed in my signature and I play the Rondo SX1 about 85 percent of the time. Mine has a few cosmetic flaws but sounds and plays great after lowering the bridge a little. I've actually been considering selling a couple of em and picking up an ash body SX2.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2014 7:04 pm    

Jim, I don't think you would be disappointed if you grabbed one of the Ash SX2's....after practice tonight I once again was VERY pleased with it.

And Greg, I have read that review (as well as your entire site) and have to say I agree, we NEED an 8 string from Rondo! Laughing

And a huge Thank You for your site & all the hard work that you have put into it, it has helped us out a LOT the last few months for sure!! Cool

Ray Langley

Northern California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 5:04 am    

I just now got a notification from Rondo that my SX2 is "ready for shipping".

I saved about $8 on shipping by ordering from Amazon! It is still shipped from Rondo, but the Amazon total price is less. It's not a lot, but it is a set of new strings....

Ray

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 6:37 am    

I think the reason for no 8 strings is a smaller market and higher costs for the pickup which would probably force the price point up.

What they should consider doing is marketing a "BYOP" Bring your own Pickup model with everything else but the pickup and some type of universal or multiple mounting plates.

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 12 May 2014 7:06 am    

I just picked up a B stock Ash 2 model for $79, left handed but I'm going to reverse the strings. B stock due to some scraping on the leg finish...nothing a can of black paint won't cure. Controls will be on the playing side, but they are far enough back not to be in the way. This one is the sunburst finish and has the legs. Wonder if the thread size is the same as the Rogue...don't care much for standup playing unless on stage, so I could use the shorter legs.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 13 May 2014 9:23 am    

When the first Rondo SX came out several years ago it was obviously a very good buy for the money, and came in a nice case. My immediate reaction was to wish that they built an 8-string version, but, as was pointed out at the time, the instrument is cheap because it uses entirely fittings from the six-string solid guitar market. The only part that doesn't come straight off the shelf is the body itself. For instance, notice the adjustable bridge, which is not necessary on a steel guitar. Once you make the thing nonstandard, you up the price. In addition to the wider pickup you need 4-on-a-side tuners (which could be gotten from mandoline suppliers) and a wider fingerboard. It would probably then not fit into the case, so you would need to design a new one.
By the way, over the years people have put palm levers and Hipshot Trilogies on them with great success. (Not both at the same time, of course.)

Jim Williams

Post  Posted 13 May 2014 10:53 am    

Yes Alan, I agree. I have upgraded the pickup on mine to a dual blade humbucker that fits in the stock cutout, mainly because mine was one of the ones that the first two strings did not line up with the pickup very well on. The bridge mounting studs were also set in a bit crooked on it and have been gradually pulled forward a bit which I am going to have to correct I guess by removing the post, filling the holes and re-drilling, or by just replacing bridge altogether with a straight L type bridge piece and string through string ferrules or a separate tailpiece.

James Huey

Wichita Falls, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2014 1:27 am    

Somewhat of an older post, but it is all relevant to me, as I plan to plink down my money on this same SX model on payday, which is four days away for me. In searching throuh all the various posts on this particular brand, I feel it will be a great starter to meet my own needs. I don't perform for anyone other than myself or my dogs, so no problems in buying something that eventually has to be sold off as I advance up to another brand or model.

It is helpful to review all the various comments and all the banter over the views of each person. I am hoping that I will get one with no real problems, but life is a crap shoot in that regard. Not sure why the lower price over at Amazon by the same seller, as someone mentioned in another post. Still, I am looking forward to purchasing one of these and enjoying it fully as I learn. Maybe I can review my own experience with such when the steel arrives. I really hate unboxing videos on YouTube though, as they seldom provide me with any useful information at all.

Any rate, thanks guys for making it a simple choice for me. I had been thinking of the Rogue, as well, but mainly due to lower cost. I feel this lap steel will be the better choice for my needs.