The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Sho-Bud Quirey
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2002 11:54 am    

I have just got another Sho-Bud, it is quite sick, and is going to need a lot of nursing to get it back to full fitness. Firstly I'm not sure what it is! The serial# is 4813 and the model# is 6153. on the Front it just says The Profesional, it is a Rack and Barrel type, and the C6 neck has been removed. Does anyone know, is it a Pro 11 or 111 or pro10 or what, and can you still get parts for it.
Cheers and thanks
Dave.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2002 12:22 pm    

"The Professional" is the model name. It preceeded the Pro (pro 1, Pro2, Pro 3, and Super Pro). My opinion is that was the best guitar Sho~Bud built. Never got to own one though.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2002 12:36 pm    

Dave, this sounds like my first steel! Sho-Bud Professional, with the C6 neck removed. All that wood makes for the sweetest tone you'd ever want to hear, but it's hard to keep in tune! Folks told me mine was made in the mid-late sixties, but I don't know. Sure wish I'd kept it, though! Good luck!

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2002 3:16 pm    

Don't let anyone talk you into removing or changing the rack and barrel set up. That system will work flawlessly if set up properly. 'The Professional' is a wonderful guitar with a pickup change(from original). Those coil-tap pickups were really junk...now don't go nuts, I'm sure a few decent ones slipped through...most I've seen are separating,(top to bottom),and full of shorts...can't ever find 2 that sound the same. It's sad to hear that the back neck was removed. I like the infinite raise and lower mechanism, and love to work on 'em......'cause when I'm done, I get to play them for awhile. All in all, one heck of a guitar, as are most 'big block' ShoBuds.
Call Bobbe Seymour at Steel Guitar Nashville(615-822-5555) for parts....he's got them all.

[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 25 June 2002 at 04:17 PM.]

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 9:01 am    

Quote:
'The Professional' is a wonderful guitar with a pickup change(from original)

Hey Jeff, I'm curious: I'm considering switching out the pick up in my Professional.
Which pickup do you think would be best?

I LOVE the sound of my Professional when it's unplugged, but that darn pickup just doesn't do it justice.
That Rack and Barrel system is a bit of a pain, but I agree that it works fine when properly adjusted.
The only problem I have with my Professional is that I throw my back out just thinking about lifting it. ...oh, there it goes now!

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 10:23 am    

I´d like to know, is a Professional really a lot heavier than a Pro II?

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 11:03 am    

a lot heavier than my Pro III

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 11:28 am    

Thank you all for your replies, I too believe the one rod system is the best, the only thing I find is the racks are very crudely made, (this is the 3rd Sho-Bud I've had using this system. What I want to do is change the racks for the two hole pullers with the brass discsthat the rods run through, theses looked a lot tidier and were a lot lighter and I think a lot quieter than the racks. My problem is getting hold of them in England. To get them from the States I have no doubt would cost a fortune, but I'll keep hunting. Thanks again for your interest.
Cheers
Dave

compuserve

ENGLAND
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 12:39 pm    

HI DAVE.
What about those bell cranks you sent to me they are very similar to the old shobud and i still have about a dozen of them and i made the collars from some old electric round wall plugs by drilling a hole through the thick round pin for the pull rods.then i drilled a smaller hole through the thinner end of the pin and used a split pin to hold it in place give me a ring JIM

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 12:55 pm    

i've got a Professional D10 that i got from Bobbeeee Seemore and i'm happy w: it !
Bill Lawrence Pick ups were installed as replacements.
methinks George L's are better.
Considering it's a 30year old axe, i'm amazed that it works properly, and sounds good. Staying in tune can be problematic sometimes: i find it has to do w; Temperature changes.
i did'nt know how to get it set up the way i wanted, but thanx to this Fo'rum, i was put on the right track, right quick !
Setting the rack and barrel up for changes is easy. i have'nt messed w; the changer tho'
be carefull not to lose those little allen screws that keep the barrels in place.
By keeping them on tight it keeps the axe in tune. Before putting the barrel on the rod, screw the collar clockwise until it bottoms out. Then turn it counter clockwise 4 complete revolutions. This will allow the barrel to be adjusted either in or out.
Bobbe Sezmore at Steel Guitar Nashville or Duane Marrs will be of great help for parts i'm sure.
When in doubt, don't lay out; Just ask here and you'll get most of the help you need.
LOL Dave
Steel doin' the right thing ?
Steelin'France

[This message was edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 26 June 2002 at 01:57 PM.]

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 4:37 pm    

Crowbear....to your ears, George L pickups might sound better.....they are not an original design. Bill Lawrence designed the double blade pickup(see the Fender discussion forum for details about this when Joe Bardon referred(?) to this fact), and marketed them for steel when he and George were working together.
The ShoBud guitar is a full bodied(read sound), steel and can sound it's best with a pickup that will reproduce that sound....hence, I like BL 710's. The single-necks don't have quite the mass, and so I recommend the BL910's. The new LXR16's will work in either.
Again, pickups do not add, they antenuate, and in the case of Lawrence, the quality-control, materials, and mathematically correct design make them the only choice for correct reproduction of any instrument.
I would like to hear from anyone who thinks they know more about pickup design than Bill. Ya' know what? ask any pro player about this stuff and see where you end up.

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 7:04 pm    

Jeff,

What's the difference between the BL 710s & the BL 705s? Inquiring minds want to know

Thanks...

George

------------------
Sho-Bud Professional

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2002 7:28 pm    

Jeff speaks the truth here as I know it.
The Pro II is basically a Professional Body....so the weight is similar; but a small difference in some machanics will make the weight different.
Ricky