The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  .011 breakage
Ronald Riddle

Bloomington il Mclean
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 6:54 am    

I would like to know just for my own knowledge how many are using .011 and how much mileage do you get out of them?I would like to hear from Big E ,and Hal Rugg,and from any other Icon Pickers who really use the instrument as intended.

Ron Riddle

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 8:01 am    

Ron,

This subject has been brought up many times in different ways on this forum. You might want to do a search and see what you come up with.

Interesting bit of Trivia:

There are ONLY two guitars made today that do NOT break strings. The Anapeg made in Australia and the Excel (Super B model) made in Japan. These guitars have a changer that is a radical departure from all other changers used today.

In a word, they do NOT change pitch by bending the string back and forth. Rather, they change pitch by pulling the strings almost dead straight on.

Again, neither of these guitars break strings. It sounds incredible of course, but I will tell you as a positive fact that they don't. If a string breaks on one of these guitars, it was bad when ya put it on!

Finally, on several ocassions when I have lauded this wonderful changer, some have said,

"Well if you leave a string on long enough for it to break, it needed to be changed anyway". Or similar verbage. Course the fact that many have said they have broken them in just a few hours of playing didn't seem to deter those staters.

So draw your on conclusions.

May our precious Jesus bless you in your quests,

carl

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 9:40 am    

I have recently started using a .012ga. after many years of using a .011ga. string cause it rings the same as the other strings. As when I would chime, the .011ga. wouldn't have the same volume as the other strings and now the .012ga. rings with the same volume as the rest of the strings. As for breakage, I just played three shows with David Ball and the .012ga. didn't lose it's tone or even break.

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 10:12 am    

I like a 12 gauge too but on partridge it spoils too much meat. So a 20 gauge is a better choice.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 1:05 pm    

I'm not a pro, but...

I replace my high G# (.011 or .0115) when it starts sounding funky. That's generally after about 30 hours of actual playing time (8 to 10 gigs). Usually I replace the whole set at that point, but if I don't have time I'll sometimes just replace just one (G#) or three strings (G#, E, and B).

I should point out that I take lousy care of strings. I don't wipe them down or anything, and most of my gigs are outdoors where extreme temperature and humidity changes tend to wear strings out quickly.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 9:31 pm    

Ronald, I get about 15 hours playing time from an .011 or .012..

To find the average time for YOU and your steel , string brand, style, etc..., start keeping a record of the playing time until breakage..After you go through several, get your average and change a little before those play hours..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2002 10:30 pm    

Quote:
I like a 12 gauge too but on partridge it spoils too much meat. So a 20 gauge is a better choice.
A 410 is not bad.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2002 3:53 pm    

I use .0105 SIT's, and get about 15 hours playing time.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 4:05 pm    

"Icon Pickers" most likely change the entire neck of strings a lot more often than you or the average player. Getting an insight on just one string from them would be tough.

In addition, any string "can" break at any given time. It is just luck when it comes to strings..they are all different.

I think it would depend on the condition of your guitar, how the string was put on, and how hard or soft it is played.

This is an interesting thread...

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 4:55 pm    

I change the G# and B and E ecery 2 gigs or so-unless we've done a lot of rehearsing, in which case for every show.

john

------------------
Fulawka D-10 9&5
Mullen Royal Precision D-10 8 & 5
"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"
www.johnbarnold.com/pedalsteel
www.buddycage.net

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 5:21 pm    

Well, I have a recent 3rd string strange saga of my own...

I purchased this wonderful 1978 Rosewood Emmons a few months ago and due to some distractions, I did not play it as often except for Sundays.

Anyway, I decided to change the 3rd and 5th strings in advance to prevent a surprise breakage (I do this to prevent those unpleasant surprises) and I proceeded to break at least 6 brand new .011 in a row!!! They were all breaking at the changer and I finally started paying more attention to what was happening on the last few. I figured it was just a bad batch, during the first few breaks.

They would break when brought up to pitch and I pressed the B pedal. In fact, at least one broke where the loop goes around the barrel. For all I know, they all broke there.

Oh yeah, one got me good on the 3rd finger of my right hand. We are talking about real blood here. I thought it had gone through! Man, did it make me apprehensive after that! In fact, I am still not over it!

Well, I decided to try a .012 and it took! I asked the owner and he was not sure what gauge he had on it, for it had not been played since Dec. of 2000.

Obviously, my theory is that the amount of pull to bring a .012 up to "A" must be too much for an .011!

I have never tried a .012 before. What should I expect? Will it last longer? I think it does sound better.

Someone said that fatigue makes cowards of us all. I want to add that a violent 3rd string breakage can do it too!

------------------
Frank Estes - 1978 Emmons D-10 8+6 #2441D

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 6:28 pm    

I use .010 and get an average 4 to 6 nights. Tried .011 many years ago and didn't like the tone difference, and they seemed to not last as long.

LDG

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 7:34 pm    

How was the instrument intended to be used?

[This message was edited by Buck Dilly on 26 June 2002 at 07:46 AM.]

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 9:49 pm    

Ron here's my 2 cents worth:

I'm like b0b and don't take care of my strings, lots of outside festivals, etc. I use Georg L's sets, but change broken G#s with a GHS .011PG which seems to last pretty long (about a month at 3 to four nights a weeks)I'm pretty bad about changing the whole set unless Jerry "Muttonhead" Erickson does some minor adjustments for me or if I send the guitar to Mike Cass for major work. I do notice some of my push pulls break strings more than others. I'll send ya a couple of .011pgs if you wanna try em!

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 9:54 pm    

Frank,

One way to tell if you have a bad batch of strings is if they break right where the ball end is. You can tell by looking at the broken string. Sometimes they over wrap the string. That in turn tempers the metal and makes it more brittle. At least I think that is whats going on. I blew off about 20 .014's that I was using for the E string a while back. I change my strings the night before the gig these days.

Bob