The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shape of pedal "pads"
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2002 1:13 pm    

I recently got my 75'D-10 P/P restored by Mike Cass and have been playing it almost non-stop since I got it back. LOL
One thing I have noticed since I got her back from the make over that I really like alot, is the feel of those bigger more rounded, pad's on the PP pedals.
Currently my other guitar is a Sierra Session S-12 and the size and feel of the pedal pads on the Sierra compaired to the PP is like night and day. The Sierra has a very narrow "pad" area and has almost a
"motorcycle-peg" kind of groved surface on the pad area.
Anyone else ever notice a different in the feel of the pedals under your foot due to "pad" size or shape?

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2002 2:32 pm    

Bit of trivia:

Many years ago the late Ron Lashley and I were talking about pedals and he showed me on paper how he came up with the shape of the original P/P pedals.

He stated that he used isometric drawings to depict the sole (of one's shoe) making contact with the pedal in various angles while rolling and engaging the A and B pedals.

It was his contention that the sole should always have something rounded to be in contact with, because of the above.

It made good sense then and it still does. If ya think about it, why would ya ever want the sole of your shoe to ever be on a corner of any part of a pedal; be it at the end, side, top etc.?

Yet, that is precisely what you find on many PSG's. It's as though they were designed so the foot never rocked which is certainly not the case.

Oh well,

God rest Ron's soul,

carl

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2002 2:45 pm    

I've reshaped and changed the geometry on every one of the 9 pedals on my Bud, depending on which one it is and how often I push it. The pedal rack was from a 'finger tip', which had the 3 narrow peds for E9. One of the narrows is now the 6 ped which means less distance to 4, 5 and 7, like the narrow B ped, A and C are closer.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2002 2:57 pm    

Carl, That is exactly what I am talking about. The "feel" of those PP pedals under the sole of your shoe is great!
The entire design of the PP pedals is very good IMHO. With the wide flanges for the pedal rack axel being part of the pedal itself, there is no side to side wiggle with the PP pedals. The Sierra pedal stem has a much more narrow profile at the axle line and even with the massive mounts they use, there is some side to side play or deflection if you will.
JE:-)>