The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd Course-Wow!
M J Scott

Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 7:56 am    

Yep - somewhere in the earliest part, Jerry says to go step by step and not skip ahead. That is exactly my plan. Last night I listened to the CD exercises and the first song, and my playing of them immediately improved-not the JB level, but much better none the less. I am hopeful to be able to move on to the next tuning next week. We'll see.....

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2014 6:30 pm     J.B Course - audio for the first practice lesson

Would anyone have background audio for the very first practice exercise? I believe it's page 15 in Jerry's book and it's not on the Cd. CD #1 starts with page 19
I would like to hear that exercise properly played.
Thanks

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 11:46 am    

Jerome Hawkes wrote:
the bad part about taking the book in series (as you probably should) is that you have to restring your steel, or have 2 (as you won't stay in the maj tunings very long). thats a good year + of work in there even for an intermediate player - getting it just right - all his phrasing, etc. i skipped over the first chapters just cause i didn't want to restring my C6 & knew i wasn't gonna play those tunings..so i jumped around, but i'm going to go back and start over (some day).
his thinking on that method was for the total beginner, and obviously its easier for someone just picking up steel to start with the major tunings to learn all the proper techniques. also to show the tuning evolution and how NOT to be afraid of all these different tunings, they are all related and have certain strengths and weaknesses. he knew what he was doing and thought it all out very well.

There's a page in my white book that has string gauges that allow you to play in all of the tunings without restringing.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 12:39 pm     Re: J.B Course - audio for the first practice lesson

Deirdre Higgins wrote:
Would anyone have background audio for the very first practice exercise?
Sounds like it would have to be off some student's personal lesson tape from the very first month, tall order. I still have all my tapes but getting it done for you at this end is not happening currently. Easier for you would be for someone to hear the tune and record Jerry's rhythm, then e it.
How'd it go with Doug?

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2014 12:44 pm    

Hello Deirdre,

I bought my J.B. "big book" in the late 90's when it came with cassette tapes. My tapes begin on page 19 like your cd. My guess is the page 15 exercise was never recorded(?).

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 7:45 am     Re: J.B Course - audio for the first practice lesson

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Easier for you would be for someone to hear the tune and record Jerry's rhythm, then e it.

That would be just fine Ron, if someone familiar with the course could record the first practice exercise on page 15/16 and e-mail the clip I would appreciate that.
As much as I think I am playing correctly I could be off entirely.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 2:30 pm    

Girl, it's times like this that I think Jerry would be OK with someone lending you their JB lesson book/tapes and let you go to town, you've paid enuf nube dues already. My stuff is currently all over the place here but if someone doesn't get it to you I can maybe help, but it won't be soon.
Have you had a shot with Doug yet?

Deirdre Higgins

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 7:53 pm    

Ron Whitfield wrote:
Girl, it's times like this that I think Jerry would be OK with someone lending you their JB lesson book/tapes and let you go to town, you've paid enuf nube dues already. My stuff is currently all over the place here but if someone doesn't get it to you I can maybe help, but it won't be soon.
Have you had a shot with Doug yet?

Ron, Thanks but I do own both of Jerry Byrd's Instructional courses. I merely wanted just the audio track for the one practice lesson. It's no big deal I can do without.
I have conversed with Doug about a lesson, I just can't get up to see him just yet.
I hope someday I can get good enough to loose the nube title and really help someone else to learn.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 9:35 am    

Deirdre Higgins wrote:
I do own both of Jerry Byrd's Instructional courses.

I hope someday I can get good enough to loose the nube title and really help someone else to learn.
Very cool, guess I misunderstood and thot you were in the 'hope to get it someday' stages.

Good for you, that's what it's all about.

Jamie O'Connell

Medford, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2014 5:19 pm    

Hey Deirdre, I have audio samples of the first Practice Exercise. Shoot me an email (with your email) Smile