The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  cleaning the puller unit
Ted Solesky

Mineral Wells, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 8:22 pm    

Since I am new to the forum, I'm not sure if this topic was ever discussed. What is, or how is the best way to clean the puller unit? I usually put the lightest oil I can find, between the rollers on the puller unit. Naturally, over a period of a few years, it is going to collect some dust which can interfere with the performance of the unit. I am guessing to spray electrical contact cleaner between the rollers. Anyone have a better solution?

Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2002 5:40 am    

A while back someone suggested carb cleaner which or course sparked a spirited debate. I would think a combination of compressed air and a solvent (a solvent that won't nuke the finish of your guitar) would be the ticket.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2002 8:26 am    

Ted,
Be carefull with solvents,if your steel has nylon/plastic spacers or parts they may be damaged,then you have a real problem,a mild soap and water with compresed air or just air may do it.A friend is in the middle of making spacers for an MSA because of cleaning with the wrong solution...

Bill Ford

------------------

Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2002 10:43 am    

Seymour generally espuses the use of Liquid Wrench, which is basically a solvent . . . turn the guitar upsie down OVER SOMETHING THAT WILL SOAK UP THE EXTRA LW!! Then, waste a can or two (spray can) washing out the changer. Then, let dry (or use a HAIR DRYER, NOT a Heat Gun) and re-lubricate with your choice of acceptable lubes.

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 5:29 am    

IF you cover stuff up, brake cleaner.

SCOTT TYLER

NEWINGTON,CONN.,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2002 6:39 am    

I have used a product in a spray can called Gun Scrubber (by Birchwood-Casey) and it seems to work great. I lay the steel upside down on an old towel and spray into the changer fingers. You will not believe the stuff that will run out, and it will not rust up your changer when it drys. You don't need to use alot of this stuff to get good results. JMHO though.

Bruce W Heffner

Payson, Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2002 6:35 pm    

Yo Teddy, I usually get a new guitar before it needs cleaning. Seriously, a mild thinner like mineral spirits or VM&P Naptha is good for degreasing and cleaning followed with a blast of dry compressed air should do it. A low flash point contact cleaner will also suffice. By the way, how is the water in Mineral Wells?

Bruce

------------------

www.pedalsteel.net