The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  'Tuning' an analog tape recorder to pitch
Jan Dunn

Union, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 3:23 am    

Finally a simple question--simple except to me. Using a cassette tape recorder with a pitch (speed) adjustment, I can tune my tape recorder rather than play with the tuning of the guitar. Often rhythm tracks have an electroninc tuning tone or the vendor puts on a live 'E' note to get you in tune. If I run the tape into my tuner I can get a pitch reading. Here's the question. Should the tape recorder playing an E be set to 440 (its the band, right?) or to something more tempered like the guitar, say 442.5 ala Jeff Newman? I've always set the tape recorder to be producing 440 when the tuning note comes up but I never really thought it through. I'd greatly appreciate advice from you experienced folks. thank you.

Probably the smart thing to do is once I have a definitive answer, put all these old tapes I have on CD-ROM and laugh about the whole thing over a beer.

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 4:21 am    

I play with rhythm tapes quite often. I always vary the speed of the player to be in tune with my guitar. The only thing that really matters is that you play in tune with the tape. No need for a tuner at all. Some rhythm tracks are on CD, which necessitates a CD player with variable pitch also. Let your ear be the deciding factor, not a tuner.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 4:46 am    

I have to concur completely with Bob on this one. Adjust the speed of your tape recorder so the song is in tune with YOUR guitar.

May God bless you in your attempts,

carl

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 6:26 am    

Who makes a cassette/tape player with a variable speed (pitch) control? I am in the process of making a contol (pot, resistors, voltage regulator, etc.) for my boom-box, that will vary the speed of my cassette motor. This is a project I would rather not do if there is an alternative.

Thanks for any input!!

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 8:18 am    

Tom! I recently bought a small Sony cassette recorder, with a speed contol, at Kmart for 29.95 It works great!model # TCM-200v Its also very good for recording live music! Regards! au

David Weaver

Aurora, CO USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 8:25 am    

Tom...

Most of the rack players (Tascam, etc). have pitch control. May be a little harder to find on boom box style. Same is true of pitch control and the A-B buttonfor CD a player. Probably need to go to a rack mount or at least an entry level home-studio model to get pitch control on a CD player.

Look into some rack systems if you have a budget you can work with. Nice stuff is available in rack mount at reasonable cost. I use mine every day and I love it.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2002 9:39 am    

moved to "Electronics' section