The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons LeGrande questions
Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 6:32 pm    

I just purchased an Emmons LeGrande SKH and it needs some tender loving care. My questions are many.

1. I see that the Emmons Guitar site has many parts for a Lashley LeGrande. Mine does not have the Lashley name before it......I know that the bell cranks changed but other than that, what else changed? and will the Lashley LeGrande bell cranks work with my guitar.

2. If I buy Lashley LeGrande parts will they work with my LeGrande?

3. There is a friction noise in the changer for string 3. I have changed the angle of the pull slightly but the rubbing sound does not go away. Any ideas?

4. The vertical knee lever is too high for me but there does not seem to be any way of lowering it since the knee lever itself hits the stop and it is just too high.

5. I heve read on the forum several problems in dealing with the Emmons Company......are they real or imagined?

6. The B pedal seems to have a stop before the final stop. It takes a lot of concentration to make sure that I press it hard enough to get it to the final stop. The feel of it is totally different from the feel of the A pedal.

7. RR is supposed to have a feel stop at D on string 2 and then C# on both strings 2 and 9. There is not much of a feel at all at D. The knee lever requires much too much effort to operate.

8. I have yet to find a serial number stamped on the guitar.

I like the guitar but these problems must be resolved or the guitar is unplayable by me.

I should add that I have precious little experience working on the underside. I have a couple of degrees in engineering so I am not totally in the woods......Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps I should choose an Emmons mechanic and have him go over it and set it up properly.

I am open for suggestions.

Last edited by Ben Rubright on 10 Jan 2014 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 9:08 pm    

eMail sent.

Ben Rubright

Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 7:24 am    

Hi Ken:

I received no e-mail. Please try again at

ben@benrubright.com

Thanks

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 8:22 am    

Sent it again. This time I even used the correct address.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 8:44 am     SKH Emmons

Ben, you can use most of the newer LeGrande parts on a SKH. I would get them from Billy Knowles or Lynn Stafford here on the forum. They will answer your emails. Those are usually great guitars and pretty easy to work on. Try to sit down with someone in your area that knows how to set them up and learn the mechanics. You'll love your Emmons.

Doug

Teddy Lloyd

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2014 4:31 pm    

I agree with Doug

Gary Roda

Stockton, California USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 9:31 am    

I second the recommendation on Lynn Stafford; he was very helpful to me when I added some things to my LeGrande. With his guidance and your engineering background, you should have it under control in no time (except for the high position of the vertical lever; I hate mine too, and no of no way to change it).

Gary Roda

Stockton, California USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 9:31 am    

I second the recommendation on Lynn Stafford; he was very helpful to me when I added some things to my LeGrande. With his guidance and your engineering background, you should have it under control in no time (except for the high position of the vertical lever; I hate mine too, and no of no way to change it).

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 10:35 am     Emmons LeGrande SKH

Thanks to both Doug and Gary.

I just sent an email to Ben to offer some assistance.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 10:58 am    

Message for Gary Roda and BEN RubRIGHT.
I had the same problem with the high vertical leaver on my Lashley, Legrand, I made a extension from some nylon material that is used in shipping crates. It's the same material that the tuning nuts are made out of, you can use any kind of material that you can easily work with.
You cut a piece. However long or wide you want it. You cut a groove just a little bit smaller than the width of the vertical leaver, then you can snap it on the bottom of the leaver. You can make the piece as wide as you need, it works real good. Then you can snap it off when you put the guitar in the case.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 11:14 am    

To lower the V, just need to mill the tip off the knee lever and install an Emmons backstop, with this the up knee can be lowered enough in most cases.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Gary Roda

Stockton, California USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2014 2:18 pm     Lashey LeGrande Vertical Lever

Thanks to you both! Looks like Billy's idea is the one I will try first.

Much abliged!