The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zumsteel CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 5:35 am    

Just like for people to know. You don't have to be one of the heavy weights of the steel guitar to recieve excellent service. While in Dallas I was having a problem with my guitar. Come to find out, most of the problem was my stupidity. Any way, Bruce "Mr. Zumsteel Himself" took time out of his busy schedule to come up to my room and take care of little ole me.
That is service beyond what was expected.
Thanks Bruce, for your service you continue to give even us unknowns in steel guitar world.

Jeff "PLUMB COUNTRY" Coffell

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 7:52 am    

Bruce Zumsteg is just the greatest. He treats everyone the same. I am proud to have been associated with him for so many years. He is a true friend, and he is constantly brainstorming ways to make his great guitar even better.

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 7:57 am    

I had a similar experience last year in Dallas. Bruce came to the room and made an adjustment, took him just a couple of minutes, and he did this for free!! I appreciate his attitude.

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 6:55 pm    

Bruce sweetened mine up last year at Dallas too. I am very happy with my zum and dealing with Bruce. He is a class act and remembers you long after a purchase.

JAMES BANKS

Mineola,TX USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 7:50 pm    

Just to add another Zumsteel total customer service story. Last year I contacted Bruce about 2 weeks before the Dallas show about adding a 4th pedal to my Zumsteel which I purchased used. He brought the parts and tools to Dallas, went up to the room installed the pedal and took the time to show me how to adjust it when I got it back home. You guys are right. Bruce is a super guy. If I can scrape up enough money to buy another steel, new or used, it will definately be a ZUMSTEEL.

------------------

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2002 6:58 am    

LET'S HEAR FROM ALL YOU ZUMMERS OUT THERE.

JC

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2002 7:18 am    

I recently acquired a new Zum, D10 8&5. It plays and sounds beautiful. It's so totally reliable mechanically speaking also. Never any problems to contend with, and it stays in tune very well. I'm very happy with it.
JC

Jimmie Misenheimer

Bloomington, Indiana - U. S. A.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 2:30 am    

Well, I too am not a "heavy weight", although I still weigh 270,(down from 310), but he sure took care of me when I delt with him! One of the few "lucky breaks" that I ever got in my 52 years was when I called him to see if there was the slightest chance that he might have a used D-10 around. It happens that he had just taken Terry Bethels guitar in on trade for a new one. Bruce built this guitar in '88, and I got it in '96. Not bad since I'd wanted one since the first time I saw one in '78, or '79. I don't know what Bruce put together for Terry, but I can't imagine it being any better that this. "The Shriner", Jimmie

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 5:52 am    

I've seen and heard Mr. Bethel's guitar, bet you feel very fortunate to get that one. It's a great guitar, I'm sure. Good luck.

JC

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 6:04 pm    

Zumsteel-D-10 8&5 Royal Blue. One of the finest steels on the market. Thanks Bruce.

Don Olson

Muscatine,Ia. USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 6:27 pm    

I have had a Emmons,Shobud and MSA.There was something about each one I didn't like.I have had my Zumsteel since 84 and I have no desire to play any other guitar.
ZUMSTEEL Forever

Earl Yarbro

Bowie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 1:19 pm    

I bot my D10 Zum from Norris Family at the TSGA show last week.. It need a few adjustments and I called Bruce twice on Good Friday. He took the time to explain the corrections I needed to make and now it plays like a brand new one. I appreciated his help very much.

Earl Yarbro
ZB D10, 11-4
D10 Zum, 8-4
Nashville 400

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 1:37 pm    

It's unusual to need any adjustment. Some one from the store or a customer must have messed with it. My friends have had their guitars a couple of years now and not had to touch anything on them. GREAT GUITAR

Jeff

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 3:48 pm    

I got my first Zum in Dec. 1979. Picked it up at the Greyhound bus station, took it directly to the Opry, set it up and played two spots with Ernest Tubb. Then did the Midnight Jamboree and left town on a 40 day tour. I still play Zum and as long as he will put up with me I'll continue. It's only the very best you can get and well worth the wait.

------------------

Johnny Cox
Zumsteel Tripleneck
E9th/E13th/C6th
(this week)

Jimmie Misenheimer

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 4:06 pm    

Johnny - - This is probably not the place for this, but I just got word a couple of days ago that one of your old Zums is for sale down the road here. They tell me that it's green, so unles you've owned more than one green Zum, you know which one it is. Like you, I'd never have reason to look at anything else... Jimmie Misenheimer

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 5:46 pm    

Hi Johnny

I'm trying to trade old Bruce out of another new Zum but haven't heard back from him since I got back from Arkansas. My phone didn't work up there so I'd better try and call him I guess.

Guess that about Zums it up.

Jeff

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 7:34 pm    

Jimmie, I did have only one green Zum. It was built in or around 1986 and I played it with Mel Tillis. It is a teal green double 10. It was a good guitar but I got low on money one Christmas and had too many guitars so it had to go.
Hope this helps.

Jimmie Misenheimer

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 3:51 am    

Mr. "C", That's a funny thing. My wife keeps insisting that I've got 2 or 3 guitars too many - and it hasn't anything to do with Christmas!! Jimmie

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 7:13 am    

Jimmie and Johnny:

I know you guys can relate with me as to Bruce's ability to make a guitar that fits like a glove. But I'm still trying to get down to 310 Jimmie !!

Anyway, I totally agree with all the possitive statements about the Zumsteel and Bruce Zumsteg. I have been playing one since 1982 and have never looked back. Even cut some of G. Watson's records with 'em.

Got a new one coming in about a week and just can't wait.

Johnny- I really enjoy "Ballads, Shuffles and Swing."

Jimmie- is the Nashville, Ind. Opry still going and are you still playing there ?? You used to do a great job with the house band whenever we played there many years ago.

Tiny Olson

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 8:01 am    

For many months I have read on this forum of raise/lower/return-to-pitch tuning problems on various guitars using the universal tuning, be it changer axle, twisting crossshafts, and who knows what else, etc.

Memory fails me (as always - so use the search function) but just recently someone posted some 'tuning' test results on S12 tunings and mentioned some guitars by brand name. He specifically stated that the Zum he tested was outstanding at raising/lowering and returning to pitch. I believe he went so far as to state that, bottomline, there simply weren't any tuning problems.

I'm not saying that these were scientific tests done by NASA engineers (heck, maybe he is a NASA engineer!), but for the prospective buyers out there, that, to me, is a very important statement about Zum guitars.

My D-10 just simply doesn't have any noticable cabinent drop. Period. End of story. One of our fellow forum members came up to me at a jam session about 18 months ago. He plugged in his tuner and watched me push A and B. The 4th string barely registered a 1 cent drop. I do not use compensators. Needless to say, he was impressed.

They are gorgeous, sound fantastic, and they're built by one of the REALLY NICE GUYS in this steel community. I paid him to build me a guitar - he doesn't pay me to write this, nor does he have to. The guitars speak for him.

Johnny Cox is correct - you'll wait a while for a new one. Shouldn't you put some thought into why the demand for these guitars is so high?

Bruce, thanks again for my dream guitar!

Mike McGee

"Think about it, baby!" - Jerry Lee Lewis

[This message was edited by Michael McGee on 04 April 2002 at 01:30 PM.]

Joan Cox

Eustace, TX USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 9:33 am    

I too would like to add my comments concerning the Zumsteel guitar. I got my first Zum in 1982, and still own that guitar. I took it out and played it in Dallas this year. I also have a 1997 Black Mica V front guitar that was a gift from my Mom for Christmas in 1997. And guys, please don't send my all your names to give my Mom, OK? I played an Emmons guitar from 1976 until 1982 and got a Zum at that time. I have been completely happy with them. They need very little maintenance, they hold tune, and they play so good. I'm proud to own these two great guitars, and proud to say that this year is my 20th year playing a Zum. I hope that I am able to play them for a very long time. Johnny and I are proud to say that we are a 4 Zum family .

Joan

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 9:44 am    

Zums are great looking and sounding guitars and several of my heros play them. I have never had the privilege to play one.

I am just wondering how many of them are being "loaned" to top pros? Just curious.

Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 9:55 am    

Jeff,

I received the Zum Stage One from F.P. last week and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm using this as a travel guitar for vacations, etc. It's perfect for that. Very light weight, stays in tune and plays great!
I wouldn't hesitate to use this on stage, or at church if need arises.
Quite frankly, I couldn't hear much of a tone difference between the Zum and my 1980s SD-11 Dekley, which weighs over twice as much. Remarkable.

Glad you turned me on to it.
Thanks!!
Tony

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 5:25 pm    

I started playing PSG in 1970..Through the years since, I have played, owned,and tried just about every brand of pedal steel made..

I have never seen what I consider a "bad" psg from any of the builders that are out there..

However, after trying them all, I chose The ZUM'S..I have two of them and I am very satisfied..

All of the other brands are good and have their own positives and negatives as does the ZUM'S..I feel its partly a matter of personal preference..

My personal preference is ZUMSTEEL.

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 6:42 pm    

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I LOVE MY ZUM!
1998 U12 8 & 6 Royal blue and teal "Lightening" split apron, Lawrence "custom" 712.

------------------
"I AM ZUMBODY!"

Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: Fender T-8 Stringmaster :: Fender Tube Amplification
www.voicenet.com/~vanallen/ :: vanallen@voicenet.com :: www.lasttrainhome.com