The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Picks
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2014 8:57 pm    

For Chris Ivey: if it weren't for my endorsement from Black Diamond for my using their National NP-2 fingerpicks, I'd be out of the teaching business.

Winking

Gary Roda

Stockton, California USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 6:28 pm    

It has always been Nationals for me. I too advise the needlenose shaping method; once they're right, they tend to stay that way, and they last a LONG time. I think I have about three or four sets, including my very first; the originals are pretty worn, so I keep them mostly for sentimental reasons. Picks must fit right to be comfortable; I have never cared for the lighter gauge, easy-to-shape ones, although they came in handy last night. I sat in on a friend's Sho-Bud Maverick, and he had some of the lightweight picks; I was able to get them working ok without tools in jiffie.The Maverick was another story...

Gary Roda

Stockton, California USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2014 6:29 pm    

It has always been Nationals for me. I too advise the needlenose shaping method; once they're right, they tend to stay that way, and they last a LONG time. I think I have about three or four sets, including my very first; the originals are pretty worn, so I keep them mostly for sentimental reasons. Picks must fit right to be comfortable; I have never cared for the lighter gauge, easy-to-shape ones, although they came in handy last night. I sat in on a friend's Sho-Bud Maverick, and he had some of the lightweight picks; I was able to get them working ok without tools in jiffie.The Maverick was another story...

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2014 9:13 pm    

The master of touch and tone used .018 Dunlop finger picks.
http://jerrybyrd-fanclub.com/JerrysGuitars.htm

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2014 11:53 am    

Quote:
Pick choice is pretty minimal in importance.

I have to agree about that, if you're into the standard stuff. I could play with National NP2's, Kysers, Dunlop .025's, Showcase, ProPiks, it took me about five minutes to get used to any of them. I always kept one set for playing, and one set for shaping. You go nuts if you're shaping the ones you practice with, so just play music with one set. Shape another set while you're sitting around, then trade them when that set is better than the playing ones.

Quote:
Pick choice is pretty minimal in importance.

That, I have to totally disagree with. IF you're willing to spend some time with ACRI picks - I have to shorten them, change the angle and the curve, it took me a while to figure out - after that, there are only two kinds of fingerpicks in the world: ACRI and SUCK.

If you happen to go to heaven when you die, take careful note of what the harp players use.... Very Happy

Billy Sims

Grandview, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2014 11:01 pm     Sammy Shelor Finger Picks

I have to say my favorite finger picks are made by one of the best banjo players in the country by the name of Sammy Shelor. His finger picks are made of stainless steel. They hold their shape and do not have any string rack when pulled across the string. They also have a rounded shape on the face of them that makes them come off the string smoother. Check into a set!

Last edited by Billy Sims on 16 May 2014 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 4:58 am    

"there are only two kinds of fingerpicks in the world: ACRI and SUCK".

My vote!
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 5:01 am    

Actually there is only one kind of finger pick. Hoffmeyer. Cool

Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 6:14 am    

I really like the 1941's.

Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 7:04 am    

I've learned to play classical spanish guitar with real finger nails (or finger tips whenever the nails were cut or torh short) and I absolutely hate fingerpicks. So I play electric with a combination of flat pick and bare middle and ring fingers, just bare fingers with banjo, pedal steel and dobro.

I like the sound that way and it is the position that I'm comfortable with. And no one has ever said my banjo or dobro isnt loud or clear enough.

But now I finally encounterd finger picks I can live with. The Saddle thumb pick and Butterfly picks for the rest. Really nice feel and ergonomy there.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 7:42 am    

Not cheap, but I really like the Hoffmeyer for my fingers. Not sure why. They just fit perfectly.

Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 16 May 2014 8:56 am    

If you are having trouble keeping them on, we have padded picks available and you won't need to squeeze them very tight to keep them on.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 7:48 am    

Kyser are my favorite

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

David Scheidler

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2014 9:00 pm    

Another vote for Hoffmeyer picks

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 8:12 am    

Just saw this thread re-surface. John McClung, I don't pick real hard, but I do pick with authority. The Nationals break at the first hole next to the blade. I wear my picks tight, especially Nationals because I can never get them bent right. The break is cause by me squeezing the picks a little before putting them on. I have had problems with them from the day I started in 1971 until 1999. Sometimes it would only take a month or so for them to break. The JF one that has the same type of break, I can actually still use as I lick my fingers to help hold my picks on. I have to push it back into position every half dozen songs or so. I have replaced it though and carry the broken one as a spare.

Doug Rolfe

Indianapolis, IN
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 9:03 am    

Again, the padded picks we sell eliminates a lot of those issues.

Tommi Toijonen

Kouvola, Finland
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 9:55 am    

Doug Rolfe wrote:
Again, the padded picks we sell eliminates a lot of those issues.

We who?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 11:23 am    

Don't need padded picks.

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 23 May 2014 7:36 pm     Finger Picks

I've used quite a few makes of finger picks over the years for Pedal Steel and 5 string Banjo and have seen the good and bad in many makes.
I have always bent/shaped them to fit my big fingers - plus before I place them on my fingers, I always place the finger of each one in my mouth to "wet" it before accepting the particular pick for playing.
I have used a metal thumb pick for many years to enhance the tone rather than it sounding too soft sounding by using plastic ones.

All Z.B.est

Bob Mainwaring.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 4:04 am     Re: Finger Picks

Robert Mader wrote:
I bought a couple different Pedal Steel Guitar courses and in one course the instructor insists that you use his finger picks... Is there a certain kind of pick I should be using or is it a matter of preference?

Recognize that type of statement for what it is - a plug to make him more money. In general, everything is personal preference where this instrument is concerned. Seems like there's always an individual or a group that wants you to do things one way - their way, and my own personal suggestion is that you should ignore anyone who says there's only one way to do something, or only one piece of equipment you should use.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 24 May 2014 9:40 am    

The best finger pick is...

The one that fits you best and works best...

period.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2014 9:23 am    

I bought the Hoffmeyer picks and I didn't like them at first. I've always used Dunlop. I, for what ever reason, have had trouble lately with my second finger pick coming off, so I tried the Hoffmeyers again. After a few days I have come to like them. No more pick coming off.

I don't know if the price is justified though.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 May 2014 1:39 pm    

People's hands vary a great deal in shape and size. Picks are all made to some sort of average. So the best ones for you are the ones that can be bent most easily to fit your fingers at the angle you favour, but it's futile to recommend them to anyone else.

Dean Hoffmeyer

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 8:16 am    

Hello all,
Just found this thread and wanted to comment and thank those who have tried our picks.
I make picks for those who have come to depend on the oldest style of National finger picks, which haven't been made since the 1960's. The shaping work is all done by hand. The metal is the best I can find and is extremely expensive.
if you have questions or comments, you can contact me directly at dean@hoffmeyerpicks.com . I look forward to hearing from you.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 11:05 am    

I use the National np2's, and a large National thumb pick. Somebody had mentioned in a previous post, and Richard too, about licking your fingers before putting your picks on. I've found this helps keep them on when I'm picking real fast which isn't to often. T.Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,