The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Picks or Finger Nails?
Fred Truitt

Port au Port, Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2002 1:55 pm    

I've recently been experimenting using fingernails instead of finger picks after watching a picker on the Opry a few weeks ago. I am discovering a fatter, warmer sound on the high strings, a lot more comfort, and an increase in picking speed. I keep my nails fairly long for 6-string finger-picking. I'm really curious as to how many of you use nails as opposed to finger picks?

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2002 2:30 pm    

You might find some relevance in a previous thread about this on page: http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/003729.html

Fred Truitt

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2002 3:20 pm    

Bump........Thanks Jim

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2002 5:06 am    

Playing steel and lead guitar both, I use fingerpicks on both instruments. I've tried the fingernail thing on steel and it seemed to be OK for ballads but I don't see how it could be faster. I don't play Universal anymore but when I did I used to do a couple of Merle Travis type things on steel and I didn't use picks for that because it was easier to block the lead notes in that style. Also on guitar you can get a funky type chicken pickin' thing going with the bare fingers but I mostly use my ring finger for that. I been the whole route with fingernails such as Hard as Nails, Glue On's, Acrylic Nails, etc. and always go back to the fingerpicks. I wish I could just do the nails sometimes but it just doesn't work for me. I do however use nails on my electric classical guitar but fingerpicks on my steel string.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 9:35 pm    

I used to tape every time the Whites were on TNN when Tommy was playing for them and one night on the Opry they were singing leading up to Tommy's solo and on the long shot you could see Tommy slip something into his right coat pocket and when they did a close-up of Tommy's break, he was not wearing his finger picks. Maybe more control in a stressful situation to compensate for the shakes or maybe he dropped one, but the end result was clean and typical Tommy. There was no discernable difference in tone and it came off without a hitch.

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 8:03 am    

I am still not using picks, I recorded a simple tune and A/Bed tracks w/ and w/out picks, and to be honest, the tone was way more balanced w/out than w/ picks. Granted, it was not the steel on steel on steel Nashville sound, but it seemed to sit in the mix better than using picks. Remember, tone is in the ear of the beholder, and if using picks is alien to you, it might be worth not having that super treble biting tone in trade for comfort and speed.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 12:52 pm    

Anyone, especially a beginner, who advises others to play pedal steel without picks is doing a great disservice to all. There is a tradition of this wonderful instrument that I and others strive to preserve. It's sad that some who post regularly on this forum have so little knowledge of and so little respect for the instrument. Metal fingerpicks are mandatory for this instrument.

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 7:27 pm    

I don't use fingerpicks and wouldn't recommend a beginner to start out not using them. But if for whatever reason that person later decided to put the picks away and learn "pickless" I say go for it. Play it with you toes if thats what it takes for you to get enjoyment out of it!
I've been playing without picks for over twenty years.
Am I disrespecting the instrument by choosing to play that way? You can't be serious.

[This message was edited by BobG on 27 April 2002 at 08:28 PM.]

[This message was edited by BobG on 28 April 2002 at 07:29 AM.]

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 6:36 am    

Mr. Holland, are you serious? Since I am new to PSG, I am not allowed to voice my OPPINION? Is this still America? I may not have 20 years experience playin PSG, but I have 20 years knowledge of studio recording and play over 15 different instruments(pretty well for the most part).

The first reason I feel qualified to chime in, is that this post referred back to my question about picking w/out picks last month. I felt that the people who took time to answer me then, deserved to know how I was doin now.

If you look at my post, I approach the topic from a recording standpoint. My PSG recordings sound better w/out picks(not5 debatable). How does that do a dis-service to anyone. There is nothing wrong w/ tradition, but please do not flame someone for voicing an oppinion. Then you have the balls to email the thread to me just so I dont miss your jab? Whatever man!

Remember, The Titanic was built by experts(traditionalists) and the Noah built his boat as a novice!!!

------------------

BobG

Holmdel, NJ
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 8:55 am    

[This message was edited by BobG on 28 April 2002 at 09:56 AM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 9:11 am    

Don't know which is worse, arguing about who's fastest, or picks vs. nails. Tut Taylor is a GREAT Dobro player, who uses----------------A Flatpick!
I like nails, or picks, either one----but if picking with your teeth gives you the tone you want, then get on with it!

gary darr

Somewhere out in Texas
Post  Posted 2 May 2002 7:23 pm    

Fred I guess I must confest that i to play without finger picks, I use a black fender med flatpick and nails exclusively.I prefere the beefy tone I get with may fingers and allso after playing 38 years with flat pick on six string its a little difficult to adjust to finger picks. one other point allso is that I can much easer hop back and forth from steel to six string on my gigs picking with flatpick. PS i noticed that from previous replay that my style doesnt "keep up the herritage" but it never stoped me from making music and enjoying myself.....

------------------
Sho-Bud proII custom,Session 500,American standard Strat,Shecter tele,Peavy Classic 50,Fender Vibrolux

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 4:21 am    

I have been playing a S10 (just for my own amusement mainly) without picks for a year or so. It's tuned to C6th and I like 4 note
chords on old standards etc, so I use a thumb
& 3 fingers. I keep my nails short and really
seem to be playing with my finger tips. I don't think I could handle the fingernail thing? I think it's working for me, but I feel if you're on E9th the picks are more
needed on that tuning to get the sound we hear most pickers getting. Not gospel, just
what I think @ this point.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 4:57 am    

Tuff crowd..!!

Picks with the Steel (3) Just like Buddy...

No picks with the Tele...or Acoustic for that matter...go figure...

tp

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 7:58 am    

Tony, fingerpicking a Tele? What are you trying to do, ruin the rich tradition of flat pickin tele players everywhere?

Kidding!

If it feels good and doesnt hurt anyone else................DO IT!!!!!!!!

------------------

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 8:18 am    

Matt..I dunno..One day ( about 35 years ago ) I was jamming with a few friends and I met this guy for the first time and he was playing all these country twangy kinda things, I asked him why my Tele didn't sound like his and he said " Put that pick down and start using your fingers "
Well I took it literally and for the next 35 years I haven't used the flat pick ! In the famous words of George Costanza, "Was that wrong, Should I have not done that" ? " because if anyone would have told me it was wrong, I never would have done it"
tp

TPrior/SteelGuitarHomesite

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 8:49 am    

Well, on second thought, going pickless may be best for those woo-woo sounds you can make with your automated mixer.

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2002 10:54 am    

Going pickless IS best for me because it sounds/feels best with my playing. There is no right or wrong. We arent doing this for some greater good of mankind ideal, we are just trying to make sweet music, how you get there is irelevent.

Mr. Holland, I dont know what i did to piss you off, but I asure you that no disrespect was intended. I was just reacting to your flame. There are too few PSG players to hold grudges, so lets lay off!

Man if I could sound like some of you guys by wearing picks, I would do it in a second. I dont want to disrespect anyone here, so peace to all!!

------------------

Fred Truitt

Post  Posted 3 May 2002 11:31 am    

Well now,

One of the great features of this forum is that you can toss out an idea and then see if and how others have tried it, or thought about it, or not even given it the time of day.
When I started this thread, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't starting a bad habit which may be hard to break. I have no problem with picks but at the same time I don't appear to have a problem without them.
I also don't think I pose any threat to the traditionalists since I live in the eastern-most part of North America and if I'm lucky get one gig per year (benefits only). And that's with steel, gut string, banjo and fiddle.
I thank each of you for your positive comments. A special thanks to Doug Seymour's response. What started all of this was my trying some old standards on C6th. I could use all fingers just like on the classical guitar. Good stuff! Picks still are very much in use for the traditional country stuff.
Kindest regards.......Fred