The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SIT Silencers
Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 3:16 pm    

Has anybody tried SIT Silencers strings? I've been using Ernie Ball stainless steel (a little too bright, I like their nickel wound, though)and I've heard good things about SIT. Listed on www.juststrings.com are SIT Silencers which employ "inverse winding" resulting in less string noise. Any feedback on these strings would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ian

John Knight

Alaska
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 9:24 am    

I use them Ian. In fact I order from juststrings. I like the way they sound and they are quite little to no bar noise at all on slides. I still get a little pick noise, but I don't think thats the strings fault. They have a nice full body sound, rich and warm. For the price give them a try.

------------------
D 10 Thomas with 8&6, '61'D-10 Sho-Bud 8&4
S12 Knight 4&4
Nashville 400 and Profex II
81' Fender Twin JBL's
Asleep at the Steel

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 11:14 am    

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for. I'm lucky enough to live a mile or so from juststrings here in Nashua, NH (I've recently moved) so I'll probably pick up a set tomorrow. Thanks again,

Ian

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 6:42 pm    

San Francisco to Nashua? Talk about culture-shock. I went to school at Exeter, and have spent alot of time in CA. Very different places...now, to strings. If, and I mean if, you change strings often, you might not want stainless. I put 3 days on a set, and I prefer nickel, and I think up to 2 weeks would be good. Stainless I think are harsh, and were brought about to be long-lasting. I don't want a string to last long....I want them to sound good. If you can change at a 2-3 (tops) week basis, nickel might work great for you...Ernie Ball, John Pearse are great. Need more time?.....way more time?.......About the best I've heard (stainless) are Bobbe Seymour's Cobra Coil.
This was an uncompensated endorsement for all above mentioned for any 'nay-say's' out there. I actually write what I think......what a concept!

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2002 9:23 pm    

Jeff, couldn't help noticing your post about Exeter. I know this doesn't have anything to do with strings, but could that be the little town in California. I was born and raised there and it got my attention, thanks, Gary.

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 8:11 am    

Yeah, San Francisco and Nashua, NH are two very different places -- it's taken a few months but I'm begining to settle in nicely (I grew up here). Exeter is nice,I had a decent lunch at the Loaf and Laddle a few weeks back, and is about 45 minutes west. I don't change strings that often (once a month, every two months, when they break)-- the Ernie Ball Stainless on my Carter were put on about six weeks ago (of course I've replaced the third string once since then). The are a little harsh, as you put it, compared to the EB nickles, which I've using for the past year. I think I may start a Nickle vs. Stainless thread to more information. Thanks again.

Ian

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 11:14 am    

I really like the SIT nickel strings. I get them from Malcolm at Discount Strings and really like the service and Malcolm is a real fine gentlemen. I use a 12 gauge "reinforced" for the third string and have had real good luck with it.
Erv