The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My New Zumsteel
Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 8:01 pm    

It finally arrived yesterday. I've been so excited about playing it, I forgot to get on here and share the good news.

I have never, I REPEAT, never seen a guitar play this smooth, have such great tone, and always stays in tune. I never thought I'd say this, but, here goes. This guitar has better tone, has sustain out of this world, and out plays any guitar that I've ever seen. This thing sounds better than my Emmons and that's saying a mouthfull. Don't get me wrong, my Emmons is a great guitar but this Zum beats it hands down any way you want to stack it. I guess I'll have some people on my a** about telling the truth but that's exactly the way I feel. I'm not bashing any guitar or builder out there today, there are many great guitars and builders on the market but my choice hands down is ZUMSTEEL.
Bruce has absolutly outdone himself this time. You know, I don't even know what the colors are of my guitar. I know part of it is honey maple but I'm not sure what the top is. Guess I'll have to call Bruce and find out.

Even with my very un professional hands this thing sounds like no other guitar. Believe me, I have 2 of the most clumsey cramped up hands out there. I can't wait to hear a good player sit down behind this Zum. I'm calling some of my great player friends to have them give this thing a test drive. You know, guys like BILL DEARMORE, SKEETER BLACK, STEVE STALLINGS, DON SOURSBY. The list goes on as far as great players in Cen TX, me NOT being one of them.

Sorry to ramble on. As soon as I get my damn camera fixed, I'll post pictures.

Jeff "PROUD OF HIS ZUM" Coffell

[This message was edited by Jeff Coffell on 17 April 2002 at 09:06 PM.]

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 8:03 pm    

I forgot.. It is a D-10 8&5 with BL 910 pickups on it.

Jeff

Larry Clark

Herndon, VA.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 3:36 am    

Jeff, Congratulations! How long did it take to get it?

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 5:00 am    

------------------
"I AM ZUMBODY!"

Zumsteel U12 "Loafer" 8&6 :: Fender T-8 Stringmaster :: Fender Tube Amplification
www.voicenet.com/~vanallen/ :: vanallen@voicenet.com :: www.lasttrainhome.com

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 6:16 am    

Jeff

Congrats on your new Zum, I could'nt agree with you more and Im playing a 2nd hand model that is just a pure "Joy" to play. Good luck with your new Zum, I can hardly wait until my lucky day to order my new custom made Zumsteel.

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12, Sierra U-12, Peavey 400 etc..

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 3:04 pm    

Actually I got lucky. I've had a deposite with Bruce for about 18 mos. or so. I called off the order for health reasons and then decided to go ahead with the deal. Bruce had this guitar in Dallas at the show and it was exactly what I wanted. Another guy had first shot at it. I had about given up on getting that guitar when I had gotten back home and about 3 - 4 weeks had gone by. All of a sudden after I had given up, I got the call from Bruce. He didn't say what happened to the other guys deal and I didn't ask. I was just glad that this guitar was gonna be mine.
I think Bruce is running about 12-18 mos. out on his guitars.

Believe me, they are well worth the wait.

Having to go out of town for 3-4 days. Will chat with everyone when I get back home.

Take care

Jeff

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 8:55 am    

Congrats on your new ZumSteel Jeff. My new one came to me on Wed., 4/17 and I'll play it out on a gig for the first time this evening.

I've been playing ZumSteel guitar for about 20 yrs. now and they've all been great, but each new one gets progressively better. Bruce really does a great job building 'em.

This one is a D-10 with 8x8 and I too have the Lawrence 910s on this guitar. It palys and sounds wonderful.

About 9 mos. (don't quote me on this)on the wait these days but it's best to check with Bruce as it depends on the orders he has going at any given time. I feel it's worth the wait to get a guitar that is custom built to your exacting specs. That's what you'll get too, from Bruce Zumsteg.

Good luck and have fun.

Tiny Olson

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 9:52 am    

Congrats buddy! I know how much you wanted this. Do you want me to haul away that old piece of junk Emmons ? LOL.....
I really do want to get over and see it but we are booked pretty solidly... maybe in June? Good luck with it and keep on a picking.

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas