The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Augment The Steel Guitar In TN
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 6:04 am    

Like jungle cats,the roar of Telecasters, and Strats have assumed the front row position on The Opry stage, as well as other venues. If you are watchful, and follow the camera, you may get a fleeting glimpse of a great steel guitarist in the obscured area, sitting it out, much like a tiger in the tall grasses. The presence of the steel guitar needs to be felt to a much larger degree.
The key to the increased success of
of the instrument may very well depend on developing an interest between onlookers (audience), by overcoming their obvious ignorance of the steel guitar's unlimited potential.
Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 03 April 2002 at 05:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 03 April 2002 at 09:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 09 April 2002 at 02:38 AM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 9:48 am    

Hey Bill,
What we need is a hot vocalist who's also a steel guitarist who could front his/her own band with a steel. I remember in LA while Al Petty was still out there. He changed his name to Al Perry for a while and became a band leader/vocalist/steel player all rolled into one. His steel would be at the front of the stage and he was the lead vocalist. What a concept. Also there was a great steel player/vocalist named James O'Rafferty who had a wooden box which his steel sat on to raise it up the the guitarplayer height. He'd run the back legs all the way to the floor and then sit on a barstool and play and sing. I know there are some players out there who also do vocals very well who should do this. I just wish one could make it on a national level like this. In my current band I'm on lead guitar but our main vocalist is our steel player (Larry Sutphin) who's very good at singing and playing the steel. I see keyboard players and fiddle players and a bunch of lead players fronting but no steel players out there right now.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

[This message was edited by Jerry Hayes on 03 April 2002 at 09:51 AM.]

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 11:25 am    

I agree that the steel guitarist needs to be the frontman, writing and singing original (or new) tunes. My dream band would consisit of TWO steel players, front and center, and leave the synthesizer/keyboard player at home. One drummer, one bass, one guitar, and two steel players, and ARRANGE the steel parts, not just play random fills. I don't understand why the steel guitar is not more integrally included in contemporary country music's arrangements. It's like there's this niche market for weepy fills only and the guitarists get to play all the structural parts and melodies.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 2:59 pm    

Framing a noted steel guitarist on stage with mediocre guitarists, and then holding him "hostage"for 30 minutes, while he is entertained by stock guitar licks or chops, is more than enough to make me "roar". Shame on the bandleaders, and M.C. for conspicuously ignoring one of the giants of country music.

Bill H.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 3:35 pm    

Quote:
The presence of the stee guitar needs to be felt to a much larger degree.

Two words: ROBERT RANDOLPH

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 8:16 am    

Mike P.

In 4 words," Take it away, Leon". These words were spoken by the late and great Bob Wills. Of course, he was calling out to Leon McAuliffe. A Blues tune by Sylvester Weaver was Leon's trademark. Steel Guitar Rag, as everyone knows, is the name given to the instrumental. Leon started his own group after the war. He was a singer/steel guitarist who fronted his band.

Bill H.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 2:07 am    

Bobby Lee,

The lack of responses sends a message to me more enlightening than a thousand words. Thank you for the accessible , and open forum.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 09 April 2002 at 03:15 AM.]

Randy Pettit

North Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:20 am    

Survey says, www.robertrandolph.net/

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 8:32 am    

Quote:
The presence of the steel guitar needs to be felt to a much larger degree.

Yes, and it could be, if players ever get this fact implanted firmly in their minds: PRESENTATION is of utmost importance!

The fadeing popularity of the steel guitar went in a downward spiral as the sitting position became dominant in live bands because of the multi-pedal steel with knee levers,___yes I know, I like the pedal guitar too.

A standing steel player makes a much better presentation to a live audience.

Drummers sit; but they are there because of the beat. Actually, Ringo Star, Buddy Rich and Gene Kruppa are the only drummers I can name. I can't name one who fronts a band.

For the steel guitar to cut through and elbow it's way to the spotlight, we as players must optimize the presentation and play what the audience wants to hear, not what we as steel players want to play.

The electronic pianos (keyboards), besides being more portable, allowed players to assume a standing position.

Rick

[This message was edited by Rick Collins on 05 April 2002 at 08:35 AM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 9:08 am    

Good Point, Rick! It's "image", and not talent that impresses most people...i.e. John Q. Public.

We need a "Jerry Lee Lewis" of the steel guitar. Any nominations? (Sorry, R.R. is close...but no Kewpie.)

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 9:14 pm    

Bill:

I surely do agree with you but try not to let it upset you too much... we allways have the jam session at the Claverack Park.

I also agree in part with the statements by Rick and Donny. It is presentation and image that dictate what we get to see and hear to a certain extent. But as far as playing what people want to hear... well, I believe if the pedal steel was promoted via camera shots and playing freedom (musically speaking) it could be out front as much as any other instrument.

I don't mean this in a demeaning way, but the listening public is basically led by those who control the industry into wanting what those same industry folks want them (the public) to like. Kinda' like leading the lemmings to the sea.

The same principal applys to who gets played and who doesn't. One of my former bosses, Gene Watson, has a hard time getting a record played on the radio these days even though he sings better than ever and keeps cutting songs and promoting them. There are plenty of folks out there who would listen and then buy his records. But those who control the industry simply don't allow them this opportunity. Those would be listeners don't even know poor 'ol Gene's out there still trying.

As far as making the pedal steel a more "camera friendly" instrument, I have to give credit to guys like Joe Wright and Robert Randolph who sit out front and take center stage.

I allways made and still do make all kinds of faces when I get into the song, I just can't help it. It has brought attention my way several times. Once a girl in a club in Dickenson, North Dakota told the waitress to "do something for the poor steel player 'cause it looks like he's getting sick." At least she didn't say that I "SOUNDED" like I was getting sick.

Keep the faith,

Tiny Olson

Bob Farlow

Marietta,GA,
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 5:12 am    

In order to impress the audience you must not only play fairly well, but you need to convey the fact that you are really having fun doing it. Just watch Buddy Emmons on stage and you will see the perfect musician AND showman. If you give the impression you are in pain, then who is going to want to play a contraption that appears to cause so much distress? Relax, have fun, and let it all hang out.

Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 7:10 pm    

We need more 'Buddy Emmons ' type steel players that don't mimick lead guitar players. At the Waterloo Steel Jam of all the supposedly great steel players the most dynamic presentation was that of DeWitt Scott playing a lap top 6 string steel and Bringing down the house. Just an observation. Jack Baker

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 7:55 pm    

Would a steel player playing for packed houses every night at concert halls and clubs all over the country, guest spots on top network tv shows, feature articles in Guitar Player magazine as well as every major music biz publication be ok with you guys ?
I steel player with chops and ideas right up in front having 1,000's of dedicated fans going nuts to his every subtle phrase everywhere he plays all over the country might be nice.

A steel player that also has the admiration and support of players like Lloyd Green, Bruce Bouton and any other great professional steel player that has taken the time to watch him play would be a great thing.

You end up with Robert Randolf !

You guys that don't get it have never been to one of his shows. He is the real deal.
Its already happening and things are going better than ever for the steel guitar thanks in large part to Robert.

I set up my steel to play a standards gig in brooklyn and all I get is guys coming up asking about Robert. I go to a session and the producer starts talking about how he got the idea to use steel with his project because Robert showed him what a cool and versitile instrument it could be. I talk to Lloyd Green on the phone and he starts telling me about how much Robert is doing for the steel and how much he digs his playing. Geez, the guy is turning down every major label record company because he doesn't need the money ! Plus there are hundreds of kids coming up from the same Sacred Steel tradition that are gunning for Robert ,and believe me, they can play there tails off.

As far as the Opry goes Tommy White is one of the greatest steel players that ever lived and he has a great gig. I don't see that as a big problem.

To be upset because everybody doesn't like the same kind of music you like seems rediculous.

Bob

[This message was edited by Bob Hoffnar on 07 April 2002 at 09:13 PM.]

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 10:14 pm    

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/music/3015892.htm

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website
shobud.cjb.net

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 3:30 am    

I think the Steel is alive and well and growing by leaps and bounds. Robert Randolph is getting all this attention (deservedly so) by playing the PSG in a non-traditional fashion. For far too long people have had the idea that the PSG is only good for those weepy teary eyed country songs and now they're hearing different. At the Dallas show there were two awesome examples of this. Both Joe Wright and David Wright were doing the same thing. Rocking down the house on their Steels and it was really some fine music. Point is there are great players right now that are showing the listening audience that it aint just for those twangy country songs and this is whats going to help take the PSG to that higher level. Good job guys!!

Rick
P.S. Dont get me wrong I love those teary songs too but there are tons of folks who dont. They're the group or generation the Steel needs to touch and its happening NOW.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 7:11 am    

Tiny O.

Your professional input is always appreciated. I know The Adirondack mountains are beckoning you to move there. It will make seeing you from time to time a little more remote. I must say that it has been very rewarding, hearing you play, and maintaining our friendship.

Bill H.

[This message was edited by Bill Hankey on 08 April 2002 at 02:09 PM.]

Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 1:02 pm    

Billy Phelps is the guy or Joe Wright.
Singers, performers, Steel Guitar extrodinare. And Good People.What more can you ask for.
Grouchyvet

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 7:40 pm    

Moved to the "Steel Players" section.