The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A Modest Proposal
Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 6:25 pm    

A Modest Proposal

For Preventing ThePedal Steel Guitar From Losing Its Pre-eminent Position As The Backing Instrument Of Choice In Country Music

It is a melancholy object to those people who browse these forum pages when they read about the dearth of the pedal steel guitar in prominent productions of country music. The six-string guitar is supplanting the pedal steel for a number of reasons.

Don't despair. At your next gig or studio session, set up your pedal steel guitar in its usual place in the back and then set up your stand-up pedal lead guitar at the front of the stage next to the lead guitarist. Hook it up to your trusty tube amp and when the band plays a song without steel, get up on the pedal lead guitar and match the lead guitarist lick for lick. You will knock his socks off with your string bends.

You will have to get used to playing single strings with a flat pick but it will come easilly. You already know the basic positions for the 1-4-5 chord positions. They work the same way on the six string as on the 10 string. All you have to know is the pentatonic minor scale ( 1 b3 4 5 7 ) and its close cousin the blues scale (1 b3 4 b5 5 7 ).

Here is a possible copedant for the guitar.

You will cause quite a sensation and ultimately other guitarists will want to play the pedal lead guitar. After playing a while, they will want to add strings and chord positions and ultimately every six string guitarist will be playing the sit-down 10/12/14 string pedal steel guitar.

Karlis Abolins

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 6:33 pm    

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2002 6:43 pm    

Hi Karlis, Ed Fulawka has a pic of a guitar like that on his web site.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 5:36 am    

Quote:
set up your stand-up pedal lead guitar at the front of the stage next to the lead guitarist
That's where I ALWAYS set up anyway.

Interesting idea. I believe Junior Brown is working on a similar idea as an extension of the 'guit-steel'. Great ideas come from 'thinking out of the box'. Thanks for reminding us, Karlis.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 8:34 am    

Junior Brown has commissioned Duanne Marrs and Jeff Suratt in Madison to build one at Duanne's Sho-Bud restoration shop.

Karlis Abolins

(near) Seattle, WA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 8:53 am    

Larry, Thank's for the positive reply. I was hoping that someone would recognize the parody of Jonathon Swift's "Modest Proposal" where he advocates the eating of Irish children to solve the overpopulation/famine problems in Ireland. My post was meant to stir up the pot a little.I don't think any would or should build a six-string pedal steel, not that it would be such a bad idea.
The real point I am making is that if the music industry wants to back country music with six-string guitars, be a part of the solution. Learn to play single string licks in the penatatonic minor scale and the blues scale on the steel guitar. When Steel guitarists play like lead guitarists, I can't tell the difference most of the time unless they put in a signature slide or pedal pull in the lick. But not a lot of steel guitarists play this way. They should. If you can double as the lead guitarist and the pedal steel guitarist on the same instrument, you will get more opportunities to play.
The other day, I was playing my new Bobby Black CD "The Steel Guitar of Bobby Black". My wife enjoyed the music and asked what it was. I told her it was music featuring the steel guitar. I later overheard her tell my older son that the music was jazz featuring pedal steel but that she couldn't hear the steel. People associate the steel guitar with the classic country AB pedal If they don't hear the classic country sound, it is not a steel guitar. I personally feel that calling it a "guitar" is enough. It just has the capability of being played in country , jazz, pop, Celtic, new age, classical, etc. music. I feel it is one of the most versatile instruments on the face of the planet. I love the pedal steel. I first fell in love with the instrument at the age of 12. I have been trying to learn to play it since the 70's. I am still a beginner compared to most of the people who participate in this forum but I don't let that stop me from enjoying it.

Karlis Abolins

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 9:23 am    

I tho't a recent post on this topic urged us not to worry about the future of steel guitar; that it's future was all secure and the only problems were in our minds.......or something like that. Another mentioned something about "not rocking the boat"....
I've quit worrying....

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2002 9:45 am    

Cougar makes a 6-string pedal steel. Check out the "Slidemaster" model on their web site at www.cougarguitars.com

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)