The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Annapeg Pedal Steel
James Pennebaker

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 10:22 pm    

I experienced an Annapeg PSG today. It belongs to steeler Al Perkins here in Nashville. Yeah, I play a little steel, but why bother when Al offers to come by the house and lay down some tracks in your little home studio. He shows up with this Annapeg guitar. I've never seen anything like it! Like a work of art. Or a Ferrari compared to a Cadillac. Totally new type of changer mechanism and pickup design. It was headless, which I have a slight adversion to only because I'm such an old fuddy duddy. But, when I really think about it, there's no slac or recoil of the srings on that end. It played so in tune I couldn't believe it. And it would still be sustaining right now, except that Al packed it up and went home. Unreal. Al says they're made by a guy in Austrailia who also made Al's low profile light beam volume pedal. There's no web site or much info out there about them according to Al. Can anybody here shed some more light on these guitars for me?
JP

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 12:38 am    

The Anapeg is made by:
Noel Anstead
151 Greentrees Ave.
Kenmore Hills
Queensland 4069
Australia

It is the finest steel I have ever seen or played. If I didn't already have two others, I'd sure buy one.
I just saw Noel about a month ago. He's way back-ordered. He only builds a few a year.
I think a lot of the sustain has to do with two things--
1. The strings are anchored to the top-- and the top is floating in the frame of the guitar.
2. The wood is a very dense native Australian wood-- almost like iron. He drives into the outback to find it and brings back hunks of dead trees that he then cleans up and trims. It sits for about three-five years before he will think of using it.

Maybe a number 3-- the strings ride on the changer which is stainless steel-- not alumimium.

They are great!

Winnie

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 12:43 am    

Hello, I have an ANAPEG (spelled with 1 - N), and yes they are beautiful! I spoke to Al when he was here in Norway in January and he told me that when he had gotten his new Anapeg he just had to look at it for a couple of days before even playing it! Do a search for "Anapeg" here on the forum, and you'll find lot's of information about it. I put up a few pictures of my guitar here if you're interested.

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 8:38 am    

Being a steel lover that would rather look underneath than play it , I could not agree more with Winnie Winston.

The first time I looked at one I could not believe the workmanship. And the term "Rolls-Royce" is surely apropos. And of course it is one of only 2 PSG's that do not break strings.

God bless Noel Anstead for his conscientiousness and fortitude in caring more about quality than quantity, in a day when quality has for the most part gone by the wayside.

carl

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 3:51 pm    

If you have a web page available to load the pictures to, you can do that and then post a link to the pics on here. You can ask Lori to do the picture host thing for a small fee here on the Forum. Or alternatively, you can e-mail them to me and I'll post them for you. 3 options.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 1:31 am    

Beautifull!!

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 8:39 am    

Are the back legs adjustable (length)?
(They look like a fixed length in the pix).

SveinungL

Gjøvik - Norway - Europe - Earth
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 9:05 am    

The height of an Anapeg (length of the legs) are made especially to fit each player. Usually three of the legs are fixed, and it is possible to adjust the fourth leg a little (approx. +/-1 cm) by just turning the rubber feet. This is in case of an uneven floor. Noel has thought of everything.......

------------------
Thanks SveinungL - Norway
----------------
Kentucky Riders

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 9:22 am    

Interesting...
Between playing barefoot at home, or wearing one of the 2 or 3 pairs of shoes I currently own, I find I need to adjust the back legs to ensure the verticle lever is right where I want it (we're only talking an inch or two, but for the A+B+LKV combo it needs to fit perfectly regardless of footwear choice).
Having a few inches of quick/easy leg adjustability is a feature I use regularly.

Do the legs screw in ala industry standard?

Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 1:40 pm    

Works for me! That's as pretty a finish as I've seen on a steel. Would love to see some pics of the undercarriage if you get the chance.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 5:32 pm    

Can Noel provide "guaged" roller nuts for those who wish to change tunings from time to time?
Judging from your photo of the keyless head
the strings do not seem to be laying at even height on the roller nuts?

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 06 April 2002 at 05:33 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2002 7:58 pm    

Yes, the pictures are all too dark so see the detail in the changer and undercarriage....thanks ...al