The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for short players
Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 5:57 pm    

Please, no short jokes............
I'm 5'6"+ a little. Most seats were a little too tall and my legs would feel pinched under the thigh. So when I had my "Pack-a-Seat" made by Kenny, we decided to make it a about 3/4" shorter then standard. It fits wonderful.
Now my question...Am I better off to lower the front legs of my steel or to cut off the pedal rods and lower the entire guitar so that my forarms, wrists and hands are at a more comfortable postition relative to the guitar necks?
Anyone else been down this road?

------------------
Allen Harry
Mullen D-10, 8 & 6
Nashville 1000

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 6:03 pm    

I'm about 2" taller. My seat is about an inch lower AND my steel is about an inch lower.
I had it made that way, and I love it.
If it is a hgood steel, and you plan on keeping it, the surgey would be worth it. You can then feel comfortable at it.

Winnie

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2002 6:21 pm    

By all means get the "surgery" done. Dick Meis is in your neck of the woods, and he could do it for you in a jiffy I bet, as no doubt could some others.

Peter

Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 8:32 am    

I am the same size. I prefer to sit higher. This allows me to push the pedals down in a more positive way and there is not such a sharp angle when my heels are on the floor and my toes are up. It is easier on the muscles of the calves. I use a drum throne (21inch high) and I sit on my bum, not on my thighs.That means, the edge of the drumstool is more or less in the "fold" where my buttocks join my thighs. So there is no pinching or lack of blood flow. I tried lower seats but it feels awkward. My PSG is huge and if I sit higher I dont feel lost behind it. Also, my arms are more or less horizontal this way, with my hands slightly down. I also have a better overall view of the fretboard. I have tried shorter legs and lower seats, but my pedal pushing suffers. Maybe you can borrow a drumthrone from someone to try it. Obviously it is a matter of preference.

Boo Bernstein

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 9:25 am    

I have the same problem -- I'm small but mighty! The biggest problem I face is the vertical knee lever -- I literally have to lift my foot off the pedals to activate it. It also makes the split tuning impossible. I have a set of the smaller legs and rods and I go back and forth trying to get used to the feel. It's just something that I've gotten used to after all these years ...

Boo

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 11:13 am    

Definately have the modification done.I'm average height but this applies to anyone.Ideally,the plane of the guitar strings should be level in every respect.If my guitar's gonna be set up in a given place for a while,I'll adjust mine front to back and then put the bar on the strings and adjust it end to end until the bar just sits on the strings without rolling.It makes the thing SO much easier to play when you're not fighting gravity.Frankly I don't know how Junior Brown plays as well as he does at a 45 degree angle like that. -MJ-

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2002 12:11 pm    

Allen,
Read my reply to a similar topic which is on 'Pedal Steel' at this very moment.
Sir Richard.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2002 11:04 am    

I am 5'6" and all I had to do was have my steel legs and pedal rods shortened by 1". Everything is in fine reach now.

My Rollans pack a seat is standard height.

Good Luck!

Tim

Shorty Coltey

Lake City, GA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 12:34 pm    

I'm among those at 5'2" and I deffently had to cut the legs and rods off an inch and a 1/2 and also was lucky to purchase a pack seat that someone else had shortened. It is about impossible to play comfortable with one that is to high. I can't set at one at a show and play because of my height and most are set at standard height. I do not know if you need to have a second standard set of legs and rods in the event you wanted to sell yours. I'll never learn all there is to know on my MSA D-10 SS so have no plans of selling it and what do I care when I'm gone. DOING MORE DOBRO THAN STEEL NOW. I love the forum as there is always something going on and very informative. Shorty LBL (Little But Loud)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 2:28 pm    

I would advise having your seat rather high. If you can play downhill, you'll find that you can play faster licks and, in addition, your gas mileage improves considerably.
Uff-Da

Allen

Littleton, CO USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 3:13 pm    

Hey Y'all,

Thanks for the many great replies. Looks like I will call Del and see if he can get me a set of legs and rods about 1" shorter. Not sure I want to cut the originals off, as Shorty said, "I do not know if you need to have a second standard set of legs and rods in the event you wanted to sell yours", It is worth considering.

Thanks, Allen

------------------
Allen Harry
Mullen D-10, 8 & 6
Nashville 1000

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 3:43 pm    

http://hometown.aol.com/laredo1010/myhomepage/profile.html you think you've got problems?