The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 400 8 pedal. A good starter steel?
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 9:35 pm    

I am a newbie to the pedal steel world and have been playing a Fender triple 8 non pedal Stringmaster for about a year now. Fun.

I have a chance to buy a cherry Fender 400 with 8 pedals. single neck.

Is this a good guitar to learn pedal steel?
I like it 'cause it is a neat old Fender and has that sound. I have no idea if it is a desirable guitar to play and learn on.

Modern steels seem to be 10 string minimum.

Any advice?
Now I will duck for cover!

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T-8
PV N400
Dobro squareneck
Dobro roundneck
Lots of Taylors

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 2:11 am    

I say no. You'll need the extra strings and knee levers sooner than you think.You need a guitar with 10 strings, 3 pedals and a minimum of 3 knee levers. A Carter Starter, or perhaps a used pro guitar.

The cool thing about the Carter Starter is that it has all the changes you'll need to learn on (unlike other student guitars.) It is IMHO the best student guitar ever made. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a pro guitar, but it does have all the essentials, and it's good enough to use on a gig if necessary.

The Fender may have a cool sound, but I guarentee you'll be frustrated with it's limitations very quickly.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 3:00 am    

I disagree with Mike. I think that if the price is right, it's a fine "starter steel". Many players today are hung up on lots of pedals and strings, but there's a lot that can be done with a simpler guitar. The cable Fenders are...undeniably...the best guitars to learn about pedal setups and tunings because of the ease of making changes. You can change the whole tuning and pedal setup in less than 10 minutes! (That alone makes the guitar worth having.) Adding a knee lever or two is no big deal, either.

No, you won't be able to do all of Paul Franklin's stuff on that axe, but you will be able to do eveerything Jimmy Day did on his "Steel and Strings" album...and that ain't bad! (Jimmy cut that album on an 8-string Guitar.)

Dave Ristrim

Whites Creek, TN
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 6:03 am    

There are no bad questions, just confusing answers. Whatever instrument you choose is up to you and how you will use it. It would take a complete interview and psychological makeup to know what is right for you.
Although I would say, get an instrument that can do most of the things that the players you admire do. And then practice everyday for the rest of your life. And love it!
Dave

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 6:07 am    

Just listen to what Sneaky Pete Kleinow did with a Fender 8 string steel. He played with Linda Ronstadt, the Flying Burrito Bros. plus a host of west coast major league recordiing dates. Also check him out on the Suite Steel Album. And in country music listen to the old Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Wynn Stewart stuff it was all played on a Fender 8 string neck. Also Buck's great recording of "Together Again" with Tom Brumley's classic break was done on a Fender 8 string (actually double Cool....

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 6:44 am    

Gotta go along with Mike on this one.

carl

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:01 am    

Ditto

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:03 am    

For most people, Mike and Carl's advice is the right advice. If you get a mainstream instrument with you will be able to take advantage of all of the instructional material that is out there, for one thing. And pick up stuff to play right here on this forum as well. There is a lot of frustration that comes from not being able to try the stuff you are reading about. But you may not be most people. You have already started into steel by what is now an unconventional route, and you obviously have been playing music for a long time. You don't necessarily fit the standard novice steeler profile. If you can accept that the instrument has serious limitations by today's standards, but still dig it for what it is, why not? Just don't go that route to save money, because if what you are looking for is a guitar with modern capabilities you'll be out buying something else real soon. I think, for example, that most people who buy an old three pedal, one lever student steel like a Maverick or a Sidekick and who are serious about learning to play do wind up replacing it real quick with something with more capability for all the reasons that Mike puts forward.

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:40 am    

And finally, from what I have seen on e-bay you can get a Carter Starter for about the same price as some people are willing to pay for a Fender or a Maverick, which is a little nuts if you ask me!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 7:48 am    

I went from a triple neck Fender to a pedal steel. I wouldn't mind adding a Fender pedal job to my collection of guitars but I would never play it. I would be lost without my knee pedals. Sure there were a lot of great songs recorded with the old Fender pedal guitars but the guys playing them had way more talent than I have. I need all the help I can get!
Uff-Da!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2002 8:10 am    

I'm moving this from "Steel Players" to the "Pedal Steel" section.

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator