The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MSA and Reece Anderson
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2002 7:51 pm    

I certainly do not want to become involved in the controversial MSA/Resolution topic but I do want to say a few words about MSA and Reece. I have known MSA guitars for many years and though I never personally owned one, I did play Curly Chalker's on many occasions. MSA guitars have always been of outstanding quality and I personally liked the sound (everything does not have to sound like a PP to be good). As for Maurice, I have never met a kinder gentleman than he. He remembered me after one meeting several years ago and is always the same. I don't know anything about the past MSA business transactions, but if I were (and I am not) looking for a new guitar I would not hesitate to deal with Maurice. I know that whatever comes out of the new MSA shop will be good. My best to you Maurice in your new venture.

------------------

Johnny Cox
Zumsteel Tripleneck
E9th/E13th/C6th
(this week)

Sidney Malone

Buna, TX
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 5:48 am    

Johnny, I could'nt agree with you more!! I've known Reece since Nov. 1996 and he is truly one of the greatest all around people on earth. He treats everyone equally and with great respect. The wife and I are very proud to call Him and Teresa dear friends of ours!!

As with all bad things, the SMOKE will blow away and I'm 110% sure we will see a great new MSA building the very most up to date high tech steel guitar ever produced. But more importantly, the management and design team will be the very best there is to be had.

I am also not currently in the market for a new steel, but after talking with Reece, Jerry & Kyle, I feel like I'm sure to be in the market before long!!

Reece Anderson

Keller Texas USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 7:40 am    

Johnny….expressing your friendship and your feelings does not place you in the middle of a controversy. What it does is distinguish you as one who recognizes and honors the true meaning of friendship.

The ingredients of true friendship are compassion, thoughtfulness, a desire to provide comfort, willingness to give of ones own self, intuitiveness of need, willingness to come to the aid of a friend, trust, faith in one another, and brotherly love.

Over my lifetime I have crossed paths with many thousands of people whom I believe share the conviction to friendship, and it’s an honor for me that you have chosen to come forward of your own free will and accord to express your commitment to righteousness of friendship so openly.

Few people, and certainly no true friend could or would with clear conscience, condemn anyone without providing their friend or anyone accused the opportunity of a response.

The underlying truth is, your willingness as a true friend to express your feelings says far more about you, than what you said about me! Life is short, time is fleeting, and blessed are those who give unselfishly of themselves to help a friend.

Sidney….I have recognized you for the true friend you are for many years. I appreciate your standing up to be counted as one who is committed to the very essence of friendship and righteousness.

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 9:31 am    

Hmmm...I am trying to figure out the real purpose of this thread...

Let's see if I can make sense of this...

So, if I were one of those who had lost my good-faith deposit or even full-price payment for a guitar in the past, then I should not let it bother me and be happy to eat the cost, because MSA guitars are well-made, Curly played one, and the owner is a good guy because Johnny and others say so.

Is that the point?

C'mon Johnny, show us the way. Sell one of your Zums (they will sell quickly) and put down a deposit on a new MSA. Of course, we are talking about YOUR money this time.

I don't know about some of you, but $1,000 is a lot of money to me and if I had lost that amount or more due to "less-than-ideal" business circumstances, then I could not just "don't worry, be happy" about it.

The whole MSA saga has nothing to do with the quality of the guitars or the musicianship and approachability of the owners...

Where is Dr. Seymour when you need him?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 10:05 am    

Quote:
everything does not have to sound like a PP to be good

If we compare steels to 6 string guitars, the PP sound is like a telecaster, while the MSA sound is closer to a hollow body jazz guitar.

Just like a jazz guitar will never sound like a Tele, an MSA will never sound like an Emmons. It's a different animal. The secret to getting a good sound out of an MSA is to accentuate the guitar's natural characteristics, instead of trying to suppress them and make it sound like something it's not.

I have played MSA guitars exclusively the entire time I've been playing steel, and I've always loved their rich mellow tone. I can't wait to see the new guitars.

I also want to say something about Reece, whom I've known for over 15 years. Reece and I don't agree on some things, (that's putting it very mildly) and over the years we have had some very heated arguments. But when I was having some personal problems, he was there for me, offering me emotional support and helping me through the rough times. He has shown himself to be a good friend, despite our many differences.

I consider myself very lucky to be able to call him my friend.

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 10:33 am    

I appreciate that, Mr. Cole, and my previous post was simply my opinion, which may mean even less than yours. I just do not see how the post I made above will hinder any progress toward the resolution of this matter.

At the same time, this is not a court of law and no one has called for character witness testimonies, so I do not see the reason for it, unless someone is campaigning for the chance to try out one of the new guitars for an indefinite period of time.

Make no mistake, if the right thing is done, then I believe the whole situation can be healed and the new business will probably flourish. If not, then it will never get off the ground. Plain and simple, JMO.

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 10:55 am    

Quote:
(everything does not have to sound like a PP to be good).

No, but it sure helps!

Mike, I just had to take the opposite point of view of you just to reminisce of the good old days when we never agreed about anything!

I like your guitar analogy, except that a Fender Tele can be used to create some wonderful jazz music when using the neck pickup. I realize you did not say it couldn't, you just did not mention how versatile the Tele is.

You are correct when you say that a hollow-body jazz guitar will not sound like a Tele and of course, the hollow-body jazz guitar can be better for jazz in some scenarios/styles. Just try to play the intro to "Chattahoochie" on jazz hollow-body!

Just like the Tele is the most versatile guitar (especially if equipped with the middle strat pickup and 5-position switch), the tone of the push-pull is the most versatile because it will perform well for every style and especially that crucial clean sound for a country ballad.

Even though I no longer own an Emmons push-pull (I have gone back to the Mullen because of the changes I need and how Mullen guitars are the best fit for me due to all those years of playing one), I still think they are the benchmark guitars for tone.

Just think how the "Blade" sounded in all those styles of music, with or without effects. I know Buddy's hands played a big role as well.

Have a good one, Mike!

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 10:55 am    

Frank,

Forgive my ignorance of the intent of your post to this thread but, what is your intent?

I've just read Mr. Cox and Mr. Anderson's posts and I don't find anything relating to the recent MSA controversy. In fact Johnny specifically states "I certainly do not want to become involved in the controversial MSA/Resolution topic"....

The way I see it, Johnny's post is nothing more than his declaration of respect, admiration and friendship for Reece. And Reece's response is of a reciprocating nature. Their previous involvements with this forum and with other steel guitar activities tell me that their mutual accolades ring true. I have never met either gentleman but, I look forward to the day I can extend my hand in friendship to both Johnny and Reece as well as to you.

I trust the legal issues surrounding the "controversy" are being dealt with in a professional manner. Why not let them proceed without any non-productive intervention?

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 10:57 am    

I have been in business for myself for most of my adult years. Sometimes, we are forced into a situation where it's impossible to do what we would "like" to do but are forced to do what we "have" to do. It isn't a pleasant situation. I have never had a personal contact with Reece but from what I've heard and read over the years I am convinced that he is a fine Christian individual and his motives are pure.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:02 am    

Well, the post is about MSA and Reece Anderson. So I will talk about my experiences about it.

I have known Reece since 1968, if my figuring is right that's 34 years. I have purchased many MSA's from him.
He has always showed the utmost courtesy and consideration to me.

If The first MSA'S had a problem when they were starting out , Reece , went right in the factory and had it fixed , or improved.

Every MSA I got was always better than the last, he was always trying to make them more improved every year.

He listend to the players needs. The Vintage XL , Universal, D10 SS, Lacquer wood bodies were so good, they are highly desirable evan today, 20 years later.

They played in tune and had Triple Lowers . Some popular guitars made Even today do NOT have Triple Lower.

The classic D10 SS Lacquer wood model made 15 or 20 years ago, will still compare with today's models. And that's pretty darn good.

I have a Classic D10 SS, but if I were in the market right now for a new guitar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one from Reece....al

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:11 am    

I can not figure out why these so called victims who have had 20 years to recover their losses have their champions beating the drum at this time.
Back twenty years ago $1000 or $2000 is like $4000 or $5000 today. I can bet you my last dollar that I or the people posting would have gone to all means to recover their said losses, especially if there is varifiable proof? I surely would not need the help of the Forum or allies to recover my losses. What Gives !

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:11 am    

Quote:
...but if I were in the market right now for a new guitar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy...

Hey, Al, don't let that stop ya!

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:14 am    

quote:
Frank,
Forgive my ignorance of the intent of your post to this thread but, what is your intent?

Glenn, my intent was to provoke you participate. Did it work?

Seriously, read my reply to Mr. Cole above.

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:19 am    

Quote:
...to recover their losses have their champions beating the drum...

Hey Richard, I am everyone's champion and that drum you are hearing is my massive chest!

Quote:
What Gives?

No, the correct question is who gives? And, I think we all should give more than a rat's behind what happens here.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:21 am    

Frank,

All you needed to say was, "Hey, Glenn, what do think about this?" I would've been glad to post the same remarks about messers Cox and Anderson.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:22 am    

Quote:
...put this thing to bed and...there will be no hard...

Mr. Cole, that can create problems in a marriage. So, I've heard!

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:26 am    

Quote:
...All you needed to say was, "Hey, Glenn, what do think about this?"...

Glenn, why would I want to do that? Our Daddies have told us that if we do not have a personal stake in this, then it is none of our business. I guess staying as ignorant as possible is more natural for other folks!

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:28 am    

Quote:
Keep on pickin'! Glenn

Ooops, I am sorry, Glenn. I thought your signature read, "Keep on pickin' on Glenn."

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:29 am    

Anyone else want some of this?

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:53 am    

Frank said, "Anyone else want some of this?"

Bring it on, Frank, but do it in another thread. I don't think Johnny was looking for this sort of banter on his thread.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Richard Gonzales

Davidson, NC USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 11:57 am    

Frank- What keeps your chest so massive?
Weights, steroids, ?

Frank Estes

Huntsville, AL
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 12:16 pm    

Actually, my first two posts in this thread were serious and I have been mainly having fun with the rest. Glenn is probably correct in that we should probably start another thread if we keep this up.

The answer to your question, Richard, rests in a Seinfeld episode--hint: The Mansiere! (major laughter)

I have run out of time for now...

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 12:19 pm    

it sounds like everyone needs a little "corner time"
guys, if we keep wasting space here arguing, then many other important issues will fall by the wayside. As i see it, whatever happened in the past is between those participants, whomever they may be.If you have no stake in the proceedings, this may be a good time to drop the mouse & pick up yer bar
This kind of thing is one of the reasons our instrument is in a slump, no matter what any Nashville "experts" would like to believe.
If we dont take the Steel Guitar seriously & stop all the Bull#*@$, how can we expect anyone else to?
Now ive gone & done it.... probably be a new thread about that!!!!
I apologize in advance if my post hurts anyones feelings

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 12:26 pm    

I just can't quite figure out why Johnny felt that there were better ways to use his time when he left the forum last time.

bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2002 12:31 pm    

Mike, Good to see you back, and I couldn't agree with you more.

Frank, It's easier to defind the Bible than it is to practice it. HMMM