The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. ISGC is Moving!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  ISGC is Moving!
Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2013 6:00 pm    

GOOD NEWS!

The International Steel Guitar Convention is very happy to announce that we are moving to the St. Louis Airport Marriott. This hotel has recently been renovated and is beautiful and completely up to date. We are very pleased with their friendliness and willingness to work with us.

Here are some of the advantages we think you’ll like:
- Room rate $95 per night (plus tax)
- Refrigerator in every room
- Safe in every room
- Free handicap amenities
- Free shuttle to and from the airport
Best of all………….
- FREE PARKING

The hotel has waived their parking charge which includes an in and out privilege so that you can go out whenever you want. The restaurant is excellent and the prices are competitive. We are very excited about this move and we hope that you will be, too! The dates for the 2014 International Steel Guitar Convention are August 28th, 29th and 30th. Here is the hotel information:

St. Louis Airport Marriott
10700 Pear Tree Lane
St. Louis, MO 63134-4100
marriottstlairport.com
800-228-9290
Book your room online... ISGC2014

Be sure to mention that you are attending the ISGC and use the Group ISGC2014 to get all these amenities. If you register on their web site (ISGC2014) by April 30th you will get a coupon for $10.00 for food and free in-room WiFi.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2013 7:37 pm    

Sandy, will the Marriott also be the new home of the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame plaques?

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2013 8:02 pm     HOF Plaques

At this time the plaques will be removed from the Millennium but it has not been decided where they will go. It is not planned at this time to hang them at the Marriott.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 6:55 am     HOF Plaques

Don't know if this if practical but has anyone thought of a "moving wall" for the plaques. They could be set up in any large venue like the hotel wherever they might have the International Show and maybe other places. They could also be stored in a much smaller place than where they now reside. Just a thought Very Happy

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 7:42 am    

A "moving wall" sounds like a good idea at first but each of these plaques weighs around 80 pounds. That would it make it difficult to move around. Then we need a place to store them in between displays. A worthy idea, though.

Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 10:19 am    

Anyone reading this thread should refer to this article from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, issue date Nov. 21, 2013; it explains a lot.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/building-blocks/millennium-hotel-to-close-in-january/article_8c5e63b9-6c14-5f9d-93ef-e04dec725090.html

Having attended the convention nearly every year since 1985, I'm sad to hear that it will be moving from what has been a great home for the convention. I'm so glad I was able to make it this year. It was great to be downtown, right by the arch, and near O.T. Hodges Chili Parlor, ...but, as we all know, "Time Changes Everything."

I intend to keep atteding the St. Louis convention as I always have.

Thank you to the Scott family and eveyone involved with producing the convention.

My best,

Ted Smouse
Austin, Texas
SteelRadio.org@gmail.com
https://www.steelradio.org

-a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 10:42 am    

I can't say I'll shed a tear over moving from the millennium. I've been going since 1978 at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel, which although smaller had better acoustics. I remember the first year it moved to the then named Clarion Hotel.

This will make it much more convenient for those that fly in, since its in the Airport area.

Did this hotel used to be the Stouffer's Airport Hotel?

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2013 2:06 pm     Moving Wall

Thank you Sandra for your response. I didn't realize the plaques weighed that much. Since there are about 75 members that's 75 x 80 = 6000 lbs or 3 tons. WoW! Says something about the quality of the plaques though. We wish you the best on dealing with this difficult problem. We all do appreciate the HOF and want to see it continued......clark

JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 5:53 am    

I have attended Every one of Scotty's Conv, I think this is a very good move, I believe we had out stayed our welcome at the old place, They just made it harder an harder to want to be there, food, parking, amount of rooms allowed for conv an a few other things to small to mention. I will be looking forward to the new location, thanks to Scotty an his family for all there hard work. I think most people will like the new location, less traffic much better area, yet still only a few minutes from the Arch an other tourist locations.

Jerry

Joshua Gibson

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 10:49 pm    

this is just a thought, but...what about using easels for the plaques? I know that may be a lot of easels but Question , food for thought perhaps?
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2013 11:38 pm    

Good idea. We have it on the list of options. There is still the problem of moving them around which increases the risk of breakage or worse. There is an answer to this somewhere and whether it is a single idea or a combination of ideas we are working hard to resolve it. Thanks for the suggestion. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 5:21 am    

Sandra - do they have a big enough area to bring in an enclosed trailer or something to that effect - would be a great way to move them but how would they be displayed year around

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 6:54 am    

Yes, they have a loading dock. You're right though, where would they be stored year round? We had gotten so used to the wonderful display at the Millennium that it's hard to imagine anything else. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 10:06 am    

The original thought was to build a SG Hall of Fame building. Unfortunately, even with all the fundraising, and the cost to build something like that, it has never materialized.

At one time there was some sort of Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville, until they were forced out of the location they were in for some type of new building construction. What was displayed in that facility has been put in storage. If that ever becomes a reality again, although in Nashville, it is a place to consider.

The Country Music Hall of Fame has recently honored two SG Hall of Fame members, Buddy Emmons and Paul Franklin. Again, although in Nashville, it would be a good home for the SG Hall of Fame and plaques.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 10:13 am    

Makes a lot of sense to me ,I always felt trapped at the MIll. Parking was never a problem for me as I flew in but the Limo $50 R/T from the airport was. but for others I'm sure it was a hassle parking and with security problems at the Mill. The price is very good and convienence is the key.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 10:24 am    

The Musicians Hall Of Fame is in the Municipal Auditorium in downtown Nashville.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 11:49 am    

Thanks for the update, Mike. Last I had seen, in the on line Tennessean, was what I had posted.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 3:37 pm     Marriott vs Millenium

I think everybody has a story from the Grand Old Lady but her time has come, behind the scenes is where you see the most issues, Im thrilled were moving, there is NO comparison. The Loading dock at the Millenium was disgusting, a cross between a garbage dump and slime pit, at the Marriott its a brand new concrete pad !!! The Hotel in general is pleasing to the eye, Modern and has Art, and Color Schemes, Carpeting is CLEAN and Marble floors are polished....the Restaurant and Cafe, Gift Shop are all well stocked and the food, well I ate there with Micheal, Scotty, Dewitt and Myself, what I had was deliscous, Cobb Salad, the other entrees all looked awesome....FOOD has been an issue at the Millenium, this will please your palate, and your wallet.

The Hallways and entry ways are all one level, no steps, complete ADA compliant, those with walkers, wheelchairs etc will be fully accessible.

The Ballroom is very Modern, has good acoustics, will have a stage with curtains on each side that will allow a GREEN ROOM area for artist setup, load in and out, all thru an easy access hallway, the stage will be a bit smaller,no loss in sightlines, but will still allow everything we do every year, Im planning on some nice surprises for the stage, Sound and Lighting and we were pleased to find the hotel has modern electrical services in the room, this has been a bugaboo at the Millenium every year, we never knew when we connected everything if it would buzz due to the poor state of there Ballroom electrical system and Ground, it was horrible...one year it buzzed, next year silent, next year buzzz...

The bathrooms arent a MILE AWAY...

Ballroom Lighting was in Issue at the Millenium, at the Marriott they have Independently controlled Sconces, LED Color Changing backgrounds and we will for the first time have actual PAR style lighting from the cieling allowing the room ambience to be set as needed...booths have multiple outlets,

FREE SECURE PARKING is a plus, nearby restaurants or shopping or stores should you wish to do a visit outside or shop...the Airport is across the street, you could walk over but Im sure shuttles are there for you.

This is going to be a game changer for the ISGC, I feel its getting its feet back under it after several years of issues from 9/11 TO Katrina and the Economy....last years event was fantastic and gave me renewed hope that this Genre, this Music, This Instrument and its Fans, Supporters and Benefactors will continue to love and express there joy and pleasure with the International Steel Guitar Convention for years to come....

Im sure the Plaques will be moved and dispalyed as soon as viable solution is found, Moving these by hand every show would not be good, there far too heavy, the Rolling Wall is a great idea and could be the solution but again, 3 tons of plaques rolling around in a truck could be dangerous, so solutions will be found, the plaques Im sure will be part of the ISGC....FOREVER...
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 8:33 pm     Moving

Thanks for the very encouraging update and all the information, Don. Very interesting to hear some of the things you guys face in making this happen. We appreciate what you do. Smile

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2013 9:23 am    

Change is problematic because the comfort of the old is inherently resistant to the unknown factor of the new.

As an old guy of 83 years, I understand the anxiety of change, however, I believe that the plans for relocation of the Show will be good for the venue.

I wish you every success and I hope that I will be able to attend at least one more show at the new location.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2013 5:01 pm     Recent News Article about the Move

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/11/25/whats-next-for-the-steel-guitar-hall-of-fame/

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2013 2:29 pm    

thanx for the info don!

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2013 7:53 am    

Here's the sound crew, with some of their gear, along with the on-stage backup backup band that Don referred to last week. Without these guys, the sounds we've all come to love at the ISGC would NOT have happened!! Looking forward to their continued excellence at the Marriott next year. Jim Harrison

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2013 1:54 pm     Staff and Band

I have but one regret that I didnt get involved in this convention earlier, I attended several of these in the 80s when the halls of the Millenium were so crowded you could barely move, and I wish we had been taking these pictures sooner....I miss Bobby, and it was a Pleasure meeting him and working with him, He amazed me at his ability to play anything...Bands would say Hey lets do this and Bobby would knock it out like he had just rehearsed it....

One of the most touching moments for me was when we got Bobby on Skype from his Hospital room, hearing his voice and telling him he was inducted into the HOF....I shed a few tears that day, I knew that entire room thought greatly of him,

Dino has done a fabulous job of taking that spot and he has and is a great guitarist , he had huge shoes to fill and hes done it well, My Mentor at the steel show is Bill Ferguson, Bills been there thru it all, Ive valued his advice, his skill at knowing WHOSE WHO and what to do for each of you, he trained me and I give him credit for being a great partner in the sound booth, couldnt do it without ya BILL !!!!

I just hope we can continue to climb back, grow and bring people into the Steel Community, hear the music, the TRADE of yesteryear when Musicians played music, not COMPUTERS...when Bands gelled and made musical legend...

I love this Instrument even though I cant play a lick, I intently listen and enjoy all of its nuances, styles and People, and the Steel Guitar International has a community of the best, both staff, bands and people...we hope youll continue to support and enjoy this genre of music and instruments for a long time to come...

Many have come and gone, and I only regret I didnt get to enjoy more years with Papa John, Buddy, and the many who reside on the walls of plaques in the HOF...But were going to carry on in tradition of excellence, and the guys in these pictures will continue to support, supply and provide the very best, FOR THE VERY BEST...