The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marlen model 210 doubleneck pedal steel
Michael Dan Ehmig

Clearwater, FL, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 7:58 pm    

I was given a 1971 Marlen push/pull pedal steel. I used to play a lot of lap steel but have never played pedal. I'm 52 and have some physical problems but I'm willing. My teacher, (first lesson next week), says I don't need to lubricate the steel and that I should just spray it with WD-40. I've heard that's bad. Also, are there any manuals for beginners that can teach me how the mechanisms work in this instrument? One last thing. Can I take all the strings off both necks to clean it up and then put all the strings back on? Or even one neck at a time? Thanks. I've been a writer/guitarist for years but always loved steel and slide. Michael Dan Ehmig

Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 8:07 pm    

Mike.

Here is a very good link.
http://www.steelguitarinfo.com/infoindex.html

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 8:37 pm    

Michael,
WD-40 is like a big no no in the steel guitar world (even tho I`ve been using it for a years).I wouldn`t suggest taking strings of and then putting them back on the guitar,they will brake, 3rd and 5th and 10th for sure.If you are new with a steel guitar I would rather go with a all pull guitar then a push pull (much simpler mechanism).But again that is what I think,I`m sure there will be some other ideas too so it`s going to be up to you pretty much.Take care and keep pickin` (and spending your hard earned money on guitars like we all do).
Sincerely,Damir

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2002 10:17 pm    

WD-40 is for water displacement, that's what the wd stands for and it was the 40th variation. It's also good for lubricating sanding discs for sanding aluminum as well as a dessert topping.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:11 am    

Damir, the Marlin push-pull guitars are actually simpler than most all-pull guitars. The changer is sort of like a Sho-Bud Maverick's changer - it has one-piece fingers.

Regular 3-in-1 oil works well as a lubricant. There isn't much on the Marlin push-pull that actually need lubricating, but a little bit of oil between the changer fingers won't hurt.

Many people say that WD-40 isn't good for pedal steels. I've never tried it.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:23 am    

Hi Bob,thanks.I have to admit that I don`t know anything about Marlin p/p machanism,I was just assuming that is pretty much like Emmons,but I was wrong I gues.Man learns something new every day.WD-40 is OK I guess for me,I never had a problem with it but then again I`m not very worried about my guitars,I use them to make living and they are my tools to work with.I guess I don`t pay too much attention to my guitars.Thay are all over the dusty bars (or open stages like Medora) and rumbling in the trailors on the way from the gig to gig.That is why I don`t have a $5000 Franklin but always $1000-$1500 guitars.One day I may have enough money to buy a new 5K guitar and keep it in my bedroom away from dust and cigarettes butts.But until then I guess WD-40 will work for me.
Sincerely,Damir

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:49 am    

Michael! I have a [like new] Marlen volume pedal to go with your guitar, go to Buy&Sell, for info!

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:51 am    

Damir, when you sell your next guitar please let the buyer know that it's been WDed. I always ask and I would not buy a guitar that's been so serviced. And I think Michael is referring to changing the strings, not re-using the old ones.

Michael, you should have the guitar serviced including a string change and set up. If you got the guitar for free, you'll still be ahead of the game even after the cost of the setup. If your new teacher recommended WD40, I don't think I'd ask him to set up the guitar. There are many first class technicians on this forum and I'm sure you can find someone to service the guitar and get it into good playing condition.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 10:29 pm    

Michael if you wanna send that Marlen to me; I will clean it up right and set it up for you as I understand those Marlen's real dang good now......"Ask b0b".....and it is a pleasure to me to work on a fine instrument like they are/were.
Ricky

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2002 1:45 pm    

Ricky: I got a folder from Leonard Stadler up in NC a couple months back. He's still making those Marlens. You may have seen me and chas (or perhaps it was someone else....)
posting about our old Marlen T-10s some time back. I used to think I was a bit eccentric but Johnny Cox has solved that problem for me. Now if I could just get my mind to work right, I'd be OK !!

Regards, Paul

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2002 3:21 pm    

Hey Paul...yes I've always had a major admiration for Mr. Stadler's work; and have been a big fan of the Marlen steel guitar; as it was the very first steel guitar's I ever had. I've now had 3 of them through my house at one time or another including that Speedy West one and a couple of others fixin' up for students.
This is one fine instrument and I would love to see how Mr. Stadler is making the new ones???? Can you hook me up with pictures.???
Ricky

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2002 4:34 pm    

Ricky: I'm just going out to play and I've got to fix the PA before I do so I won't have time to scan this in, heck I'm not even sure I know how to do it: The folder I got lists Stadler Music Company as: marlen@reidsville.net. The phone is shown as 336 349-6554.

I sure I hope I sound as good as you do tonight !!

Regards, Paul

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2002 6:10 pm    

Guys Try this Link for Marlen, the one in Paul's last post didn't work.
http://www.reidsville.net/stadlermusic/

Len Stadler and Ken Latchum of Stadler Musical Instruments, Builders of The Fine Marlen Steel Guitars

------------------
John - Camden Recording and Sound Services

[This message was edited by John Floyd on 15 March 2002 at 06:43 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 3:05 pm    

Hey Michael,
As far as the WD-40 thing goes I've been using it for 25 or so years and never had any problem with it at all. I clean my changers about once a year with carburator cleaner and then WD-40 'em again and they work great, stay in tune, etc. I also squirt some on all the pivot points of the pedals and crossrods and where the knee levers move. I work in supply for a municipality (City government) here in So.Va. and I purchase the stuff many cases at a time for Water and Sewer workers to use for unfreezing rusted nuts and bolts. It's a penetrating oil with a petroleum base and will get inside where you want it. Another good use is if you get oil base enamel on your hands it'll take it right off.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 3:20 pm    

WD-40 has alcohol in it and isn't the best lubricant out there. 3 in 1 is OK or a good gun oil or sewing machine oil. I don't like the WD-40 also because you have to spray things that don't need sprayed. A good plastic bottle with a long tip will get what you want lubricated and not everything else. Those Marlens are pretty good guitars. I wish someone would give me one.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 5:59 am    

The worst thing about using WD-40 to lube steels is that if you play in a barroom type environment with lots of cigarette smoke the WD-40 will attract nicotine impurites right out of the air and coat the metal parts with that residue-I have worked on at least one guitar that had all of the rods and such underneath appear to be coated with golden brown looking stuff-which was exactly from the situation I described-using WD-40 is a no-no unless you enjoy totally having to disassemble and thoroughly clean you guitar much more often-which I do not

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 7:14 am    

Michael, I'd like to offer you my encouragement in learning to play pedal steel. I'm within shouting distance of your age and just took up pedal steel last year after playing regular guitar for 30 some years. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and your previous musical experience won't go to waste. Have fun and don't worry too much about the lubrication thing. Myself, I use Mazola!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 8:37 am    

I echo the chorus of those who say "avoid WD-40 for lubrication purposes."

I use Break Free, a gun lubricant found at most sporting goods stores, and probably Wal-mart or K-mart.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2002 10:18 am    

I'd prefer a gun oil to WD40. That stuff will gum up eventually, causing you to have to tear down and carbuerator-clean all the moving parts regularly (maybe not a bad idea in any case). Another lubricant I like is Marvel Mystery oil...outstanding lubrication qualities and doesn't gum up....but....use sparingly....