The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Impact of Fingerpick Thickness on Tone and Speed
Chuck Martin

Clifton, Virginia
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 6:01 am    

For years I have been using .020 Dunlop fingerpicks because that's what I started with and also use for acoustic guitar. I've read that many players use fingerpicks that are .025. On other threads the prevailing view seems to be "the thicker the better." I'd like to hear from those of you that have expermimented with different guage picks and get some insight on what difference pick thickness makes (if any) on tone, speed, blocking and dynamic range.

Thanks, Chuck

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:45 am    

I'm not sure if thickness is the issue. The alloy used makes a diffence, though. I tested a variety of picks, listening in headphones, and discovered that I liked the tone of Nationals the best, with Jeffrans almost as good. The Jeffrans are more comfortable, though.

If the picks are properly bent, I've never noticed a difference in things like speed, blocking or dynamic range. Those things seem to be a function of finger movement, not of the picks.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

patrick donovan

orange, texas, usa
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 10:32 am    

I have always used Dunlop .020 brass fingerpicks. Tried others but the Dunlops work best for me. The correct angle of attack is important...and comfort, four hours is a long time if your fingers hurt.

Regards, Patrick

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 9:25 pm    

All right, my $.02. I've tried lotsa different picks, but I like the Jeffran (marked JF) picks way better than the others. I've had my set for several years. Seems like they mike out at about .025. They feel more comfortable to me than the Nationals and give me a better tone than the thinner-gauged picks do. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Tim R.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2002 10:05 pm    

AMEN on the Jeffrans.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2002 9:30 pm    

I recently got some ProPik Reso's, and immediately fell in love with how they fit. They feel broken-in when you first put them on. The "trick angle" is also pretty neat. However, I noticed a "thinner" sound on both pedal steel & Dobro, so I went back to my old Nationals.

Use the "Jingle" test when trying out finger picks - Put a pair in your hand, cup them gently, then shake them. If they have a ring, they'll probably sound good.

jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2002 10:41 pm    

Chuck,I have tried various gauges of dunlops, mainly because this brand are the only ones readily available here in "no where/UFO land"...And they come in .010" up to .025"..

Here are my conclusions..The .010" are too light and they bend upon impact with a string..

The next size of dunlop's is .015".. This gauge or the .018" are what I settled on and use.

The .020" ,.022", &.025" picks, TO ME, seem to give a muddier, or at least, not as clear of a tone when strikeing the strings..

I have switched back and forth a number of times over the years, to see if what I think I like is still true, or I have just grown used to the lighter gauges..

I always wind up coming back to the .015 or .018..I feel between these two, its a lot dependant of how hard you play/strike the strings..That varies a lot with each individual person..

For me, the thinner picks, are cleaner, sounding and do not "give off" as much pick noise as the thicker..

As far as speed, I see no difference..

------------------
Jerry Wallace-2001 Zum: D-10,8+6, "98 Zum: D-10,8+8,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico
http://communities.msn.com/jerrywallacemusic

[This message was edited by jerry wallace on 10 March 2002 at 10:43 PM.]

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2002 10:50 pm    

I think picks are the weak link in the steel guitar setup.

Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 5:52 am    

Your attack may very well have a lot to do with the "thickness" of the pick. If everytime you strike the string it is bending, then you probably should go to one that is a little heavier. However, to me, a pick that is too heavy feels uncomfortable and doesn't feel like it comforms to my finger as well. Somewhere in there you'll find a happy medium. Is the pick so stiff that you have trouble getting it to tighten up? Or is it so heavy that once it is tightened it feels like it is cutting off the circulation? Or is it so loose feeling feeling that it feels like it is going to fly off at any moment? These are all things to consider when choosing picks.
For me, a pick is a tool and tone is what I develope with my hands. If I'm not confortable with the picks, it is not going to matter how thick or thin, or how the pick itself sounds because I'm not going to be comfortable and therefore will not be able to play my best or get my best sound. If I'm comfortable, I'll concentrate more on my technique and tone and what I'm playing instead of whether or not I'm in control of my picks. However, I do spend a litle time trying to determine what works best for me and feels best for me. I want a pick that is as tight as I can get it with out feeling like it is crushing my finger. But, I don't want it to feel so loose or so light that I feel like I'm going to loose it. Somewhere there is where I'll find what is going to work for me.

Dave

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 8:27 am    

Well here goes the od-ball in the crowd !!., I've got in the other direction. When I started pushing pedals, (well over 30 years ago), finger picks were the hardest thing to overcome and get use to. Another player advised me, when I got up in the morning, put them on my fingers, and DONT sit behind the steel for a whole day !!...do your regular things that you normally do, but dont take them off till your ready for bed. Get use to the feel !!!...well I started with Dunlop .013's and have been with them ever since. they are quite comfortable, seem to last darn near forever, and gets the action that I like. I know that I'm a little strange, but what do you expect from a lefty playing a right handed steel !!!

Joe
Derby SD-10 4X5, Fender twin, Nashville 400,
Profex ll, Lexicon MPX 100

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 10:43 am    

Herby Wallace sells the best finger picks I've ever tried. Bill Stokes 1941 Showcases. Pre-war nickel-silver. They are expensive but they beat every other finger pick I've tried. Very comfortable with ideal thickness.

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 10:45 am    

Kevin, you are right about the showcase 41. Takes a little time to get used to, but then they become a part of your hand...

Ken Williams

Arkansas
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 12:58 pm    

I've always been kinda partial to those old nationals, although I only have a few of them left. I think one thing that effects the tone is the age and wear of a pick. For my personal taste, picks sound better after they have been well broken in, I mean slick as goose grease on the picking surface. In my opinion it doesn't hurt even if they have a slight bevel on the edge of the picking surface.

Ken

[This message was edited by Ken Williams on 11 March 2002 at 01:00 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 2:27 pm    

Like Bobby says, the shape and material are equally, if not more important than just thickness. The bottom line to me though, is comfort. If they're not so comfortable that you forget you have them on, try something else! Picks should not hurt your fingers...no matter how long you have them on. They should feel like an extension of your fingertip, and not an "addition" to your fingertip.

I use Stevens, which are no longer available, but I got plenty when they were.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 4:11 pm    

I have to agree with Dave on this one but you didn't tell us what picks you're using Dave. I used the Nationals for a long time and still have a bunch around here. I was given a pair of the John Pearse picks and after only a very short time knew these were as far as I was going. These are the high rider picks and are the very most comfortable by far. All the other picks I've use made my fingers sore and I would hate to play some nights. My fingers would turn black too. I don't know what gauge they are but they work and I bought another pair last year and they work too. I'll buy some more the next time I see them.

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2002 6:11 pm    

I use Nationals. They're not very comfortable but they sound so much better than Dunlops. Over the years, steels have improved, amps have improved, effects are much better, but picks are just the same. I don't know what one can do to improve them, but it seems they're the last hurdle to overcome.

John Flewellen

Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2002 3:15 am    

Has anyone tried Sammy Shelor Stainless Steel fingerpicks? They were made primarily for banjo players. They are also $30 a pair!!! Alledgedly work well on steel. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm tempted.

Kenny Forbess

peckerwood point, w. tn.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2002 6:50 am    

I'm partial to the OLD Nationals , with the pat. no. 1787136.
First ones I ever used,they form to your finger very well as most of you know.

Frank, where did you get the hi-rider John Pearse picks, I haven't tried those.
Kenny

Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2002 1:27 pm    

John,
I have two pairs from the "Sammy Shelor Picks", because I use 3 fingerpicks. The shape of the picks is fantastic and comfortable. From the tone I canĀ“t hear a difference to other metal-picks (new Metal-Nationals). I would sell the two pairs for $ 40.0 + shipping, because I used the picks only a few days. I like the sound from my old Nationals a little bit more.
Horst

John Flewellen

Poughkeepsie, NY, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2002 2:49 pm    

Waisznor, thanks for the offer, but I was just hoping to get some feedback as to how people like Sammy Shelor picks for playing steel at this point. Thanks again.

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 2:16 am    

I used Nationals when playing banjo, but found that they were not comfy on steel. I tried a few and settled on .018 Dunlops.
The nationals feel too heavy to me...

Winnie

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 9:10 pm    

I never could get used to the Dunlops felt on my fingers. They always felt ready to fall off my fingers. I always went back to Nationals. They sounded the best to me, but were very hard to bend the band around the finger in a comfortable way. My fingers would hurt real bad by the end of a 4 hour gig. Sometimes my fingers would bleed near the cuticle of the finger nail. I had to have then so tight so they wouldn't fall off my fingers. A few years ago, I switched to the Newman picks. Now I have comfort and a good sounding pick and they don't feel like they will fall off..

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 8:20 am    

Interesting topic.
I have played six string guitar and bass for way too many years. I have been playing dobro and steel for only a year now, and pick comfort is my number one problem. I have experimented with various Dunlop thickness picks, because I can. The Nationals are not for me.
Sometimes I love the sound of a flatpick on the steel.
Where can I find:
Newman
Sammy Shelor
John Pearse
Herby Wallace
ProPick reso's
Jeffrans

Thanks, from a rookie.

------------------
Fender Stringmaster T-8
PV N400
Dobro squareneck
Dobro roundneck
Lots of Taylors

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 8:37 am    

Most, if not all the picks you mentioned will probably be for sale at vendor booths at the Dallas Steel Show this Thursday through Sunday, 3/21-3/24. Since you're in Dallas, I know you'll be there, right?

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@charter.net
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-13 8&8=-

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 11:41 am    

Go to the links page and you will find the links to most of the manufacturers websites for the picks listed.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler