The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tom Bradshaw's Resonator Pedal, A Dobro Replacement?
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 10:57 am    

A guitarist recently purchased one of my Resonator pedals. He isn’t a Forum member, but I felt his experience might be of interest. I may be accused of touting my own product, but I'll chance it since the revelations are his and he consented to my posting them:

“I recently purchased one of Tom Bradshaw's Resonator simulator pedals. While I'm a lead guitarist, I'm wondering if non-pedal steel (or Dobro) players have had the same experience. I use it with my Peavey PowerSlide guitar. The Powerslide is a strap-on “lap steel”, similar to the Melobars or the ‘60s-‘70s. It has a powerful humbucker pickup, a nut and bridge made with a simple piece of bent metal, while everything else is pretty straight forward. The guitar sounds pretty bluesy, but with Tom's pedal, it sounds better than even my Dobro (which I also carry with me to gigs).

“There are some songs that my band plays where the Dobro sounds great. I was more than surprised by how well the Resonator pedal works alone with my PowerSlide. Tom's box solves the problem of taking two guitars to gigs. My Peavey PowerSlide now sounds closer to my Dobro than my Dobro did when amplified. I'll follow this topic and wonder if other resonator players have discovered this too (?).” [Jim Bolek, Phoenix, Arizona]

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:36 am    

Tom, are they available through MXR? My wife's birthday present to me was a gift certificate at my local retailer. This sure sounds like a good use for it, and I don't think I need a hundred bucks in strings.

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:11 pm    

It's amazing how close these sound to a real dobro. I have an old Dobro that someone had installed a humbucker on but I never used the pickup before since it sounded more like a lap steel when amplified. My Fender Stringmaster sounds more like a resonator guitar than my Dobro when running through the pedal but doesn't look like a dobro. With this pedal, I can now play at higher volumes without the feedback problems I had with my lavalier mic in my resonator guitar.

The thing I don't like about my pedal is a constant static hum I get with it. So I purchased a Boss 7-band EQ which helped a little, but I still get some noise. I can live with that because at higher volumes, that little hum is covered up by all the other sound going on. Tom, I wonder if the ones you sell are more clean sounding than my Boss EQ?

Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:39 pm     Better sound than a Dobro?

Ron: Forgive my confusion. But, if are asking if my Resonator pedal sounds better than what you are currently using, which appears to be a Dobro, a Fender Stringmaster, a Boss EQ, a "pedal" of some kind, and with a "lavilier" mic, I don't know the answer. But, I'd sure like to know, and probably the readers here too. Send me your mailing address and I'll loan you one to "test drive" against those units. ...Tom (tommybradshaw@gmail.com)

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 1:30 pm    

I'm wondering if your pedal sounds cleaner than my Boss seven band EQ. Yes, I would love to test drive one. I'll PM you with my address. Thanks!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 3:00 pm    

I guess i am a bit of a purist. There is more to dobro playing than just the sound. The whole approach is different. Simulators sound like what they are. They won't replace the real thing.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 3:06 pm    

Bill, in the hands of one who can play and think like a Dobro picker, they can work.
An original Matchbro in the hands of Buddy Emmons fooled Mike Auldridge. But yeah, that was Buddy.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2013 10:45 am    

Could be Lane. I've never heard a simulator yet that could either fool me or that I thought sounded like a dobro.

There is a great pedal steel emulator on my synth though. I'm sure none of you would be able to tell the difference. Smile