The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Daryl Davidson passes
Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 6:02 am    

Long time steel player and friend Daryl Davidson passed away yesterday. He has been a resident of Albuquerque for years and previous to that lived and worked in the midwest. I know many of you knew him in the early days. He will be missed.

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 9:26 am    

Daryl was a dear friend, and one great player. He will be sadly missed. My condolences go out to his family.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 1:27 pm    

Didn't he play for Hank Thompson years ago?

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 1:47 pm    

Sorry to hear this about Daryl.

Yes, he was a great player! I used to go to just hear him play on the C6th neck. What a treat that was for me since he played a lot of the Emmons and Chalker songs and styles.

Yes, he played with Hank Thompson for awhile years ago and worked around K.C. with Terry Mayes the Mayes brothers.

Thanks for sharing about him.

Prayers for the family and friends.

Terry Wood

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2013 8:21 pm    

In 1981, after I left the Plummer Family Show in Branson, Daryl and, I think Terry, played the show for a short time. I have a recording of the show with the two of them playing some very nice twin. If I recall, shortly after that, Daryl was involved in a serious car accident and took some time to mend? I believe he also played with Tom T Hall?
Sorry to hear of his passing.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2013 1:25 pm    

One of my dearest buddies, he'd call me in Nashville at least twice a week, a dear sweet person and great player, Bobbe Seymour

Jack Bowman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2013 2:08 pm    

BobbeSeymour wrote:
One of my dearest buddies, he'd call me in Nashville at least twice a week, a dear sweet person and great player, Bobbe Seymour
Bobbe, Did you ever meet a guy named Bobby Chatfield? He owned a music store in South Springfield Mo., on the road to Branson. He was taught steel by a guy who worked in my band in 1961. Teachers name was Clyde Worly. Both have passed on now. Clyde was a great c6th player too.
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps

Jack Bowman

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2013 2:08 pm    

BobbeSeymour wrote:
Sorry about a double post !
Fender 400 PSG 4+2
buncha amps

Last edited by Jack Bowman on 15 Nov 2013 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2013 3:35 pm    

On an album I believe titled at Carnegie Hall with Don Williams, Roy Clark, Freddy Fender, and Hank Thompson, Hank introduces Daryl.

Johnny Case

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2013 6:39 pm    

I was saddened to learn that Daryl Davidson has passed away. I knew him in the mid-1960's, as did my brother, guitarist Jerry Case, who had worked in Wichita Falls, Texas alongside Daryl in a band led by the great trumpeter Bob Wommack. Later, Daryl lived in the Fort Worth/Dallas area for a while and played on the road with the Western Starlighters, a gig held previously by Billy Braddy and Tom Morrell.

Daryl liked modern sounds on the steel and was particularly gifted at pop and jazz chordal stylings.
Few people probably know that Daryl worked in Las Vegas, Nevada for a brief time, playing steel in a band led by Curly Chalker! This was when Chalker
fronted his own band, playing bass, singing, and sometimes even playing trumpet (he was a good trumpet player). Typically, Chalker would feature himself on steel on one or two tunes a set, and the rest of the time his hired steel man filled that role. Bob Hines was another steel player who worked for Chalker during this same general period. Incidentally, Daryl told me about this experience and indicated that he and Curly Chalker had no problems working together.

While Daryl was in the Dallas area he played a Fender
400 (8 string single neck, many pedals added, ha) then switched to a Howard for a while I believe. He
cut an LP which I still have, entitled The Sensuous Steel Guitar of Daryl Davidson. He was an admirer of the modern steel stylings of Maurice Anderson, whose passing this year underscores the loss of some truly innovative steel legends in the past few years.

I send my sincere condolences to the family of Daryl Davidson. Daryl had a keen ear for harmony, was a fine musician, and he was also a very nice man.

Isaac Eells

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2023 1:18 pm    

Daryl Davidson used to be in a band with my grandpa in the mid to late 1950s. The band was called "Darwin Eells and the Country Boys".

Heres the names of the guys in the band
Darwin Eells- Guitar / Lead Vocals
Paul May - Guitar / Harmony Vocals
Dave Kirby - Lead Guitar
Fred Drennan - Upright bass / bass guitar
Daryl Davidson - Steel Guitar

I have a picture of Daryl playing music with my Grandpa Darwin (I can't figure out how to upload it here)

Heres a link on YouTube to a live show they did in the late 50s. The announcer introduce the guys in the band. There's more song of them on YouTube.
If the link I've attached doesn't work, you can also find it by searching on YouTube "Darwin Eells" or "Darwin Eells and the Country Boys".
https://youtu.be/0rXL51mt_yM

Im hoping to eventually get in touch with the Band members or their families to see if they have any pictures or recording from the guys playing music back in the day. If you know any of the family members please send them this post. Thank you. - Isaac Eells
[/img]