The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ?'s about early Supro Hawaiian guitars
Leo DeBacker

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 1:40 pm    

I recently joined the SGF, so Hello!

I just recently became interested in the lap steel world, before I had done all my homework I found a stash of old Supro's, they have a certain look for sure. I was hoping that someone could help with info on these. Also hoping I didn't jump to soon?
The concern is that the Supro guitars seem to be real low $$'s, while other brands are thru the roof?? Did I make a mistake or are these a good find? From what I can tell the older Supro stuff seems like a rare find, sleeper deal? Are they playable, with good tone when compared to the big name stuff like Fender or Rickenbacher?

And of course I'm wondering what you think these are worth in good working condition?

One is a 1936 good cond, has 2 complete slabs one slightly smaller on top, pickup looks like a humbucker with adjustable poles for the D and G strings, vol knob only on the treble side, with OC.

The other is 1937, fair cond, has a second slab on the treble side only, like a pickguard, also a vol knob only treble side, NC.

Also found a 1954 Supro Twin, very good cond, OHSC.

Thanks in advance for any info
Leo

Here's some pics of the '36 and '37

Last edited by Leo DeBacker on 2 Oct 2013 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 3:05 pm    

Most Supros are inexpensive because they're everywhere - there are a dozen on Ebay at any given time, plus another dozen identical steels under a variety of brands.

That doesn't really apply to the '30s models. They're considerably rarer and have totally different electronics than the post-War models. However, most people don't actually know how they sound so they're wary about buying one. They tend to have darker tones that are well-suited to Hawaiian music but lack the bite that people want for rock and roll or country. They also have the Amphenol-type output, which puts some people off because they need an adapter.

I've seen the '30s model go for around $250-300, but there aren't too many sales to use as reference points. The double-necks were in the $500 area, but the last time I really paid attention to their price was a few years ago.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 3:27 pm    

I play a 1962 for the Don Helms sound sounds great!

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 3:39 pm    

I play a 1962 for the Don Helms sound sounds great!

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 5:07 pm     Don helms

There was a guy who was always asking Don about his guitar,string gauges,turnings.He asked him the same thing over and over for months.Don would always tell him the info. with great kindness.The guy remarked I am going to get that Don Helms sound.Don thought about it and told me on the phone, Andy I sound like me on any guitar I play.There was only Don Helms.Many of us try to get that Don Helms sound.The guy bought a guitar like Don,string gauges,turnings but there was only one Don Helms.I guess he is still trying to master Don's playing.I sure miss him.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 6:06 pm    

I mention Don as a reverence of playing style. what gets my goat is to go out somewhere and hear someone on a E9th pedal steel playing something thats supposed to be a hank Williams song but more of a speed picking exercise. I may not have the tone of Don Helms but I can play his stuff like the record and I take a lot of pride in that. some ask why do you want to play exact? to me that paying respect to the people that played it. I will play something "my way" when I am in a studio with a new song any other time if I am going to play a cover it will be exact or 99% close to it

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 8:04 pm     Joseph

Do you have any files of your playing on the net.I would love to hear you. I bet you are very good.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 11:39 pm    

Thank you Andy I only have you tube stuff on giving lessons on e9th. however I do have one of me playing on Midwest Country that I recorded with my camera sitting on the couch the sound is poor but never or less its a Hank Williams song email me at jba9328547@aol.com and will send you a link. now we need to get this back on the subject or someone will jump on us lol supros are great guitars I would never part with the one I have

Leo DeBacker

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2013 11:09 am    

Thanks for all the feedback, sounds like I bought them ok $$ wise, can always get the cash back if needed.
So what is the players choice in lap steel guitars, I'm sure that will bring a wide and varied opinion depending on music styles. I'm mostly into blues with some country on the side. heck I like both kinds of music, country and western. Should have asked these question's before getting up to my tail feathers in guitars Smile

Thanks Again

Here's some great info on the history of Supro I found this while scratching around on the net.

www.vintageguitar.com/1884/supro-guitars-and-amplifiers-part-i-2/

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 1:16 am    

That one looks to be old alright, with just a volume control...

Leo DeBacker

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 2:59 pm    

Does anyone have pics or old advertisement for this 1937 Supro Hawaiian? It finally arrived and it looks like there was an outline/glue residue of a pick guard on the treble side? It would great to see what it looked like back in the day.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 5:36 pm    

If there ever was a pickguard, it wasn't original. There were several variations of this model, but none had a pickguard in that shape.

Leo DeBacker

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2013 6:47 pm    

Hey Thanks, Wow, there is a bunch of variation to these early Supro's! Wish there was more info about these, is there a book that goes into this history?

I'll try to gently remove the traces of glue. The finish is fairly distressed but hey I hope I look so good when I'm 76 years young.
Thanks Again

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 3:30 am    

Leo DeBacker wrote:
Wish there was more info about these, is there a book that goes into this history?

There's only one book I know of that covers Supro instruments in depth, and that's Mark Makin's book covering (nearly) every instrument that National, Dobro and Valco ever bult. It's a superb accomplishment and an excellent source of information, though at around $150 shipped to the US it's a big investment for anyone who's not a die-hard guitar historian. There is one page devoted to the Supro steels you have.

Leo DeBacker

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 7:12 am    

Thanks Noah, looks like a wonderful book, I'll keep a lookout on Amazon, one might turn up.