The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Peavey Amps
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Peavey Amps
Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2013 4:05 pm    

Was Peavey at the show? They have traditionally been a prominent vendor at the shows. Mike Brown was always there to assist in any technical issues. Also was there any surprise amps used onstage? Peavey usually dominated with their presence with a few exceptions.

Mike Fereday

Newbury, Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2013 10:55 pm    

Peavey were not at the ISGC but they have not been there for several years. Indeed, I don't recall them being at the Dallas show since it has been held at the Sheraton.

There were, as usual, Peavey amps on stage.

Last edited by Mike Fereday on 7 Sep 2013 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2013 4:29 am     Peavey Room

The Peavey room was always a focal point, for me anyway. Lot's of jams and activity. I recall going into the Peavey room and found only Jeff Newman there and he was playing Okie From Muskogee in the open E position hardly ever using his bar. I was mesmorized listening to the tone he got. I think that was Dallas.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 2:50 pm     Peavey

Ive stayed in touch with Mike Brown and Id like to see them back involved with the shows, Im asking if you think they should be there, we need to let Hartley know, Ive also been contacting other brands about bring products to these shows, Bean counters feel that since the times were hard and lean the last few years that sets the tone for sales at the shows, Im a believer that if you support these pickers and players they will support you.....Id like to see Peavey come back to both shows...Or at least the ISGC....

E mail Mike and let him know your thoughts...

mike.brown@peavey.com
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Bobby DeMoss

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2013 4:51 pm     Peavey

I agree, it just is not the same without Peavey's presence. The Peavey team has done so much for the Steel Guitar community that they ought to be there and the sound was always the best there is anywhere.
No manufacturer can do what they do for the convention and I would like very much to see them back.
I still have two Vegas amps, one on the show and one for studio and live. I have tried so many other amps and have spent a lot of money only to come back to
them. They are in my opinion the finest commercial amps made. The NV112's are also killer amps.
The Session 500 was a totally awesome amp.
The Session series and Nashville MK are awesome tone machines too. I ask you, who else has done so much for us Steel Guitarists?? Smile Smile

Jim Saunders

Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 5:15 am     Peavey

When we have our monthly jam for the Southeast Texas Steel Guitar club, we often have 6 to 10 steel players show up. The Peaveys line the stage with a few exceptions. It may be that Peavey built such durable amps that they last forever, which cuts into the new sales.
We used to lament that Detroit's big 3 built cars to last just over 3 years so customers would be back for another car thus perpetuating the market.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 5:52 am    

Peavey's only "steel guitar" item is the Nashville 112 at this time. I don't know if they have any new steel guitar amp product in the wings.

Many companies have been cutting back on "trade show" appearances and the ISGC apparently is one of them, given they don't have anything other than the one"mature" product aimed at the steel community. The ratio of steel guitar amps sold versus other products is huge so the corporate marketing emphasis has to be on other areas. The steel guitar community and/or bands still use other Peavey items (e.g. P.A. systems) but its still a small market.

George L's is another example, since the passing of George Lewis and his wife. They still market pedal steel guitar strings and pickups, but their primary (and majority) sales are to other markets (read rock musicians/bands). They sold their other steel guitar accessories line to Jeff Surratt. With only the strings and pickups and their advertising $$ spent on marketing to more lucrative buyers, other than the pedal steel customers, they have stopped attending steel shows.

The Peavey Nashville 112 amp was the predominant amp at our Florida Steel Guitar Club jam, Sept 11. There were 7 steels (and one non amplified dobro) and 4 of the steelers had Nashville 112's. (The others were a Stereo Steel system, a Roland amp and my GK MB200 system. We miked the dobro into the P.A. system).

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2013 10:50 pm     Peavey at the shows

I think there steel amps are some of the best but I think theres more market there then steel amps, there lots of Guitar players, bass players, keyboardists etc...I think that someone should approach a Guitar builder or amp builders and incorporate these into the show floor, your not taking away from the steel, you would be adding to the INTEREST, So you have some Boutique amps, several brands of guitars, basses, ACOUSTICS, even some luthiers, Make the show a Musicians paradise.

Where are the Music stores, who could be showing some product, Companys etc....Its about building traffic and interest.

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 8:42 pm     Peavey steel amps

I have said this before: Peavey's best steel amp was the Nashville 1000 and it is the benchmark of steel guitar sound. It is a shame they stopped making these fine amps with tremendous sound.

I just sold mine as I am using a Fender Bassman I refinished a few years ago.
Jim

Mullen D-10, Bassman

Jim Ives

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2013 8:42 pm     Peavey steel amps

I have said this before: Peavey's best steel amp was the Nashville 1000 and it is the benchmark of steel guitar sound. It is a shame they stopped making these fine amps with tremendous sound.

I just sold mine as I am using a Fender Bassman I refinished a few years ago.
Jim

Mullen D-10, Bassman

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2013 5:33 am    

A new Peavey steel amp with tubes would be a plus to the line. Or, a hybrid with tube pre and transistor post to keep the weight down. Possibly, using the 70's Session tone stack with tubes and a couple of speaker options in a Nashville 400 size cabinet?
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2014 7:10 am     Attending shows and new models

My guess:

Peavey , like any business , has done the math. If attending the show translated to enough sales volume to offset the cost and earn a profit, they would be there.

Regarding any new models, does the cost of R+D and promotion costs,etc...justify the expense ? Again , like any business, I'm sure they've done the math. It likely doesn't make fiscal sense.

I'd be surprised to see any large investment specific to the steel market. It sure is great having them support all the many models we may need service with, but I'm thinking anything beyond that may be unrealistic.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2014 7:33 am    

Brad Sarno has also tapped into that market.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 8:40 pm     Peavey

Times WERE tuff after Katrina, many unfortunate losses of the Legends of the Steel, The Economy, less then stellar attendance and the "HOTEL" that lost its Idea of service. All of these affected the shows sales, costs, profits, and all of these were temporary. If the Steel community wants to see this Genre continue successfully into the future then we all need to encourage Peavey to continue to be part of what it helped Build.

Yes today there are more then a few builders, and some have gone away, and a new amp is on the horizon from a long time amp builder. But I believe Peavey and others have many products to offer, as I said, Steel is the focus, but there are Guitarists, Bassists, Keyboard players, Singers, etc at this show. Manufacturer support is needed and necessary. Peaveys products side by side with Fender, Mesa, Bogner, Victoria, etc...The floor showplace needs new blood, new products as well as the Standby products that all shows need, we all need to encourage manufacturer participation and bring a musical mecca to the ISGC...

The new MODERN Hotel, Free parking, Better facility, Nice stage, Great sight lines, Better food(way better food), Improved attendance, More Players all must work together to return the event/s to the good attendance and great time that everyone had. I hope Peavey considers sending some product, showcases its Vyper-Budda-Trace Elliot-Valve King products, Id like to see Ampbuilders, Luthiers, Customizers, all become part of a greater musical happening and bring the ISGC into the 21st century marketplace...

The Steel show should be a happening of Musicians, Writers, Pickers, Studios involved in promotion and enlargement of the steel guitars Interest and Products.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 11:18 am     Steel Shows

Hey Steelers!
I miss seeing you guys and gals as much as you miss Peavey being an attending sponsor. I thank Scotty and family/company as well as the TSGJ for the many good years and good times that I spent at these shows "meeting and greeting" everyone.I do miss attending but will one visit again.

At any rate, I am available for your questions via email.

Sincerely,
Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 4:40 pm    

Mike, I don't think a lot of the guys understand that there are lots of interesting Peavey amps for steel guitar, other than the Nashville 112 and 1000.
YES-TUBE amps! I have 40 watt Peavey tube amp called Triple XXX. Great sound and all the volume needed for most places. I play in one band where the guitar player has a 30 watt tube amp called a Classic 30. That little amp will tear your head off played through a Telecaster. In another band I play in, the guitar player bought a Peavey tube amp that cost something like $2,000.00. That amp will do just about anything you want, except cook breakfast. So if guys want something new and different, Peavey has it. I don't think some music stores stock the really high end Peavey tube amps like my friend bought. So people are not aware that they are available. Almost all the modern amps produced nowdays have a distortion channel. Why--because few young guitar players play with a clean clear sound. Just turn off the distortion channel if you want clean and clear, that is what I do with my Peavey Triple XXX. If you try one of these new Peavey amps, make sure you compare apples to apples, and not apples to oranges. If you are trying to make a tube amp sound like your Peavey 112, you will be disappointed. Just because the sound is not like your old sound does not mean it is not good. It is easy to get stuck in a rut. Some people get stuck in a rut and like it there.

Ray Uhl

Riverside, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2014 9:04 pm     Steel Shows

Where's a better place than a Steel Show for players to hear new amps. I think most of us steel players buy what we hear then sell and trade constantly. Laughing

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2014 5:12 am     Peavey Products

Thank you for the comments Keith. I hope you are well.

As a matter of fact, there is a lot more under the Peavey umbrella than I think most folks realize. Aside from Peavey, Trace Elliot, Buda amplifiers, Architectural Acoustics, Media Matrix, Composite Acoustic instruments and Crest Audio is under the Peavey Banner. Check it out here;
www.peavey.com

Oh yeah, Peavey also builds hand wired custom models here;
http://peavey.com/products/customamps/

Keep In Touch.

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2014 1:43 pm    

Telonics is building a GREAT amp now. Should give it a try. They were in Arizona and Dallas. Don't know if they go anywhere else or not.

Donna

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2014 11:09 am    

I am sad that Peavey & Mike Brown will not be at the show, but rest assured, Peavey amps will be present on stage. I bring 2 NV112's and 2 NV400's to use for back line amps. Plus my mixing console is a SRC6032 made by Peavey in the USA.

Peavey has supported me over the years and I will remain loyal to Peavey.

In fact, at the Dallas show, I was able to get my Carter Steel & Packaseat transported to the show, but I had to borrow an amp.

I borrowed a NV112 and just plugged it in from my old ShoBud volume pedal, used the interal reverb and no other effects. When I got through playing, Doug Jernigan, Tommy Dodd and Roy Rosetta came up to me and said that my tone (did not say my picking, hehe) was imaculate.
What better testimony than that.

So Mike, you may not be able to make it, but you can tell Hartley that his name is represented always.

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2014 11:28 am     Thanks..........

Will tell HP!

BOBBY JACKS

Fort Madison, Iowa
Post  Posted 8 May 2014 6:14 pm     Brad Sarno

After Using Brad Sarno's Stuff I See No Need For Anything Else, And I Own Or Have Owned most ALL IT !!

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2014 1:41 pm     Peavey

Were still representing for Peavey with our sound system, but Id love to see a 1215 combo Trace Elliot bass amp, a TA 300 Acoustic amp, a Budda Guitar amp , a NV 112 Custom, A Vyper guitar amp,a KB5 Keyboard amp, Even a small contingent of the product line, I know myself, Bill, Dewitt and others would gladly represent and help with the amps to see them represent the company. I think an opportunity is there for sales and for folks to see, feel, try and BUY , the new Boutique, Custom and Old Standbys..

Peavey has been the backbone of the working musician and rock star for years, and the new, boutique, custom and Hand wired lines deserve to be showcased as they always were, race on Sunday, Buy on Monday, I believe its still true today. This will be a beginning of a new International Steel Guitar Convention.

I believe new vendors, new sellers, new buyers will be there and this will grow, new blood, and yes new types of steel guitar music. Well carry the Peavey banner no matter what !!!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2014 2:53 am     Peavey amps

My three amps are Peaveys. Two Session 500's & one NV-400 sitting here in my office. I'm adding a NV-112 in the near future to make four amps. I've bought and promoted Peavey products for several years and will continue to. Thanks.

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2014 10:25 am     Peavey amps and Mike Brown

I have 2 Nashville 400 amps,1 LTD,1 --112 ,1 profex, 1---1000 amp . The service that I have gotten from Mike Brown and Peavey company is the best I have ever known. Thank you Mike. Buck Grantham Smile Oh, I also have a Nashville 500 amp in my music room.