The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone have both Rondo SX's?
Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2013 6:02 pm    

I'm thinking of buying one of the Rondo SX steels, leaning towards the latest model with ash body and P90 pickup. Anyone have both and can express some opinions between the two? My thoughts are that the ash wood might give a little better tone and the P90 might be a little fuller and less hum.

Chris Frederiksen

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 9:35 am    

I'm curious about this, too.... I wouldn't think the hum would go away with a single P90, but an additional installed one certainly would kill the hum. Smile

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 1:51 pm    

At this time it seems they are out of the ash models anyway Sad

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 8:36 am     I have both

I have both. The single coil has a better sound. The p-90 works but I am not crazy about the sound. I chose the one with the p90 to get rid of the metal cover over the bridge. I will certainly change the pickup soon. The mounting on the p90 has screws shot through the middle of the pickup and it causes a noise or clicking if you so much as touch the pickup. The screws seem to be affecting the pole pieces it contacts. The older single coil plays great but changing strings is a pain. Feel free to ask me any questions about both. Not bad overall.

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2013 12:32 am     Lap steels

Both of the guitars are well made and would cost much more if they were made here.I like them both,along with the Recording King.All three guitars play and stay in tune. Whoa!