The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Info ---you won't believe this !!!!
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 6:20 pm    

This D-10 Marlen, S.N. 315791 belonged to "Elvis" Roy Ray, who passed away about 5 years ago. Mrs. Ray has contacted me to help her sell this guitar, and another triple eight, which appears to have been made from 2 non pedal necks, with the center neck having one KL and 4 Pedals. I've never seen such a guitar and looking for someone who may know the history. Mr Ray used to live and play around the Greenville, S.C. area many years ago, later moving to the south Georgia area, attending steel guitar shows over in Ala. I am posting pics of both guitars in hope someone will recognise and have info to share. Thanks, Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie Portwood on 26 Aug 2013 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 6:59 am    

The Center tripple looks like a MiltiKord. Pickup at the tuners and the changer looke like the multiKord

Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 7:51 am    

The red, white, and blue Marlin is a '75 model, rare in that it's apparently a mica guitar. (Leonard was far more well-known for his fancy wood bodies, which were much more popular.) The "flag colors" became popular, I believe, due to the 1976 bi-centennial celebration, but likely also due to a red, white, and blue flat top that Buck Owens played on the Hee Haw television show for some years.

Mule Ferguson wrote:
The Center tripple looks like a MiltiKord. Pickup at the tuners and the changer looke like the multiKord

Nope, that's a converted Gibson Multiharp. The pedals were originally on the side of the cabinet, but that one's been redone and converted to a standard front pedalboard design.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2013 8:14 pm    

Thanks, Mule and Donnie. Mrs. Ray did say she thought that the triple 8 was a gibson, but I saw no indication. I figured out that Mr Ray had built this thing from different gtr's, because of the odd parts underneath, the way it was put together, etc. It is very heavy, and sturdy, and I have to say, pretty good for an amatuer builder. His wife said He made some pretty good music with it.
Oh well, maybe some body will want it as a collectible, vintage conglomeration of history. Lonnie.

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2013 7:29 pm    

Bump up!

Jonathan Sipes

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 5:22 am    

In addition to what Mule said...the pedals also look like MultiKord/Harlin Bros.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 5:28 am    

The Gibson was mostly a copy or a patent infringement on the Harlin Bros Multi Kord. After Harlin Bros sued (or threatened to sue), Gibson stopped producing the Multiharp.

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 7:41 am    

MultiKord pedals.

Picture file Mr. Green Mr. Green
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 9:19 am    

Gibson Multiharp pedals.

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 1:37 pm    

Good video on the MultiKord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQNV_xi6I2E
Mr. Green Mr. Green Alien