The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with repeats.
Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 11:36 am    

Ok I can not figure this out, I can put it on paper, but not in BIAB. Song Precious Memories. 4 bar intro, 32 bars verse & chorus, 8 bar inst break, last verse & chorus with 4 bar tag. My problem, I want to repeat from bar 5 to 36 (verse and chorus) then 8 bar inst break last verse and chorus and tag. I have tried DC al coda, DS, 1st and 2nd ending etc. plays inst break then repeats or just skips to last 8 bars.

HELP!!!

Mike
ps I am a bass player, this may be the problem:)

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 9:09 pm    

Mike,

I'd just copy and paste as many times as you wanted. Do the whole song bar for bar instead of doing the intro, 32 bars played three times, etc... You might end up with 96 bars. I find this to be easiest way, and you maintain control of it. Right click on a bar and you'll find all kinds of useful options. .

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 9:17 pm    

I never managed to get the DC al coda, 1st and 2nd endings, etc to work right but I know a way to achieve what you want.

First, type in the chords for the 4-bar intro. Then the first 32 bar verse & chorus. That will take you up to 36 bars. Now go back up to the top and tell it that the song form starts on bar 5 and ends on bar 36. That way it will only play the 1st 4 bars the first time through (as an intro) and won't repeat it. It will just repeat bars 5-36 as many times as you tell it to.

Then you click on the little "S" to tell it that you have a tag ending (which in this case means anything after your multiple verse/choruses of the main part of the song). Tell it the tag starts on bar 37. Starting on bar 37, enter your 8 bar instrumental break, last verse and chorus, and tag. (And while you have that menu open, de-select the option to create a two-bar ending for the song. It irritates me that that box is checked by default. The default should be that it is UN-checked! Pet peeve of mine with BIAB).

Anyway, that should do it!

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 3:05 am    

Rick & Jim, thanks I will try that. My grandson is a music major, and high school band director, he said I was doing things right musically, but he was not familiar with soft wars, he uses different ones. Jim I think it is a quirk in the software

Thanks

Mike

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 7:55 pm    

Quote:
. . I think it is a quirk in the software

In case it is, ya might wanna check
→ support to see if there's an update for
your version that might have a patch.
~Russ

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 7:27 am    

thanks Russ, I have done the update, but not recently, may be another out there, will check,

Thanks

Mike

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 10:18 am    

Mike,

Here's my preferred way. Program the song, less intro. Tell BIAB to play the song through... say 3 times, click "edit" "unfold" and BIAB will make the three times into one continuous song. Then go to "edit" "insert bars" and insert the space for the into and solo breaks. (You can also copy and paste here). What's good about the is that it allows you full and easier control over everything. For example: the A & B variations of the style, and if its a complicated song you can change styles, tempo, mute instruments, etc... at any given bar. Doing it the other way, you're much locked into the same thing each time. Hope this helps.

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 10:46 am    

Thanks Rick, will try this

Mike

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 8:07 am    

I use Rick's method for all the same reasons.
Much less trouble to get exactly what you want to get programed in far less time and stress.
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo