The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  For Sale - 1964 Emmons Double Neck Pedal Steel Guitar
Cindy Arsenault

Prince Edward Island, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 2:22 pm    

The only 64 Emmons in Canada. Black with 9 floor pedals and 4 knee levers. Also have 3 knee lever kits ready to install. A dual 10 string.

Last edited by Cindy Arsenault on 19 Aug 2013 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 3:54 pm    

This is Neil Flanz's guitar from August 1964.

It should be 864006, if I recall.

Neil Flanz was the original owner and you can probably see him with the guitar on an album cover if you Google or look on eBay.
In the late 1960s Neil Flanz sold the guitar to Gordon Mathews who in turn sold it to John Hume in January 2010, or thereabouts.

THIS Wraparound is authentic. It is the real deal.

Cindy Arsenault

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 4:15 pm    

Yes that is the serial number. And John Hume is my Father, I posted the ad for him.

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 4:39 pm    

Cindy... PM sent. Thanks --Barrett

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 4:47 pm    

WOW !!
All right you folks hunting for the older classic Emmons guitars -
it just does not get any better than an ORIGINAL Emmons '64 wraparound red belly!!
I know if I was buying this guitar I would be driving to Canada to pick it up in person - tooooooo
risky to ship this - it cannot be replaced -
good luck with the sale.
Thanks for the pictures ..Ron

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 5:02 pm    

All I can say is WOW, WOW!!!

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 5:31 pm    

Cindy.. I talked to your Dad and we agreed on a price. I'll take it. I PM'd you my contact info.

Thanks,

Barrett

Cindy Arsenault

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 6:05 pm    

What my Dad doesn't realize is that there were other offers made before you. My Dad and I will review all offers and get back to those concerned.

Thanks
Cindy

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2013 6:09 pm    

Sounds good. I agreed to his asking price, so please keep that in your consideration. Thanks.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 6:22 am    

What IS the price?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 7:00 am    

We may never know. Whoa!

Cindy Arsenault

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 11:12 am    

Sold this afternoon - someone drove to pick it up.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 12:07 pm    

Cindy Arsenault wrote:
Sold this afternoon - someone drove to pick it up.
Shocked Oh Well Rolling Eyes Muttering

Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 12:12 pm    

Wow, I had never even seen a picture of an Emmons that early, what an amazing piece of steel guitar history. I do hope that whoever bought it might do a YouTube video of it or something so us mere mortals might hear what it sounds like. Black Album anyone?

Congrats to whoever drove to Canada to get it.

Gerald

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 3:28 pm    

Correct me if I'm wrong someone but don't think that guitar would sound any better than the 70's and 80's P/P's. It's value lies in the year and type guitar I would think. I would think that Buddy and Ron improved the sound and playability of guitars in later years but I may be wrong. Would I like to have it? You bet, but just for a piece of history to sit in my music room and look at. Sure would like to know selling price,LOL. Like Erv said, we may never know.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 3:43 pm    

Wraparounds sound different. They are a different design. It is not just the fact that the neck wraps around the changer. There are many differences, just as there are striking differences between the first fifteen of the twenty guitars Emmons made in 1964.

The differences are real, and I am fortunate to be able to set up nine Wraparounds side by side to compare and contrast the sounds. Well, eight, because Mike Cass is restoring one of my Wraparounds for me right now. In fact, he has two Emmons Wraparounds on his bench with lower numbers than this one that just sold. There is little doubt that Mike has restored more Wraparounds than anyone.

The differences between a Wraparound and another push pull will never get adequately explained in a Forum thread. They have to be experienced.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 3:55 pm     Emmons PP

Chris,

So in your opinion, do the wrap-around guitars sound better than some of the other designs?

With some of the early guitars being somewhat of an experiment, did Emmons work out some of the bugs and issues with later models?

I'd be interested to here Mike Cass's perspective on this issue (maybe he already has).

Additionally, could someone post a close-up picture of a fat-back Emmons. I'd like to see what is looks like for comparison.

Thanks,

Don

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 4:13 pm    

I think a properly put together Emmons sounds better than an improperly put together one. It is amazing some of the errors so-called Emmons restoration guys make and some of the mistakes that you can see on video.

Yes, personally, I think most Wraparounds sound best. Then I like the sound of some Bolt-ons a lot, especially one that was made on a Wraparound cabinet. But some Bolt-ons can get too bold for me. I have not tried that many cut tails. I have one cut tail, and really have had only three or four over the years. I had one cut tail that was built on a Wraparound cabinet that was a nice guitar -- I wish I still had that one.

To over simplify things, everything about a Wraparound is lighter and under more tension. Put together correctly, a Wraparound will seem to be alive with tension. Also, it is important that a Wraparound changer is not anchored to the endplate or the neck. The notion that a pedal steel should be build as solidly and as rigidly as possible is nonsense. Go string up your driveway and tell me if you like the tone you get.
I also think the new National Resophonic guitars are great, but they are just too well made -- they are too rigid. A 1930 National feels alive with balanced tension and sounds better to my ears even if it has a brand new cone.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 4:31 pm    

found out what it sold for. a red flannel shirt and an old but spirited sled dog!

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 5:24 pm    

Don, here is a picture of my Fatback. It's a 69 I think, may be a 70. If you will notice the back apron of the guitar has no cutout, thus they are called fatbacks. The changer is still a cuttail type changer. Don't know if they made any wrap arounds or bolt ons in fat back or not.

Chris, are the wrap arounds more expensive,(back then) to make or the design was just too hard or expensive to make. Looks like to me, they would have continued them. I know what you mean by guitar feeling tight. I sat down behind one once and the strings feel tighter and more alive than most guitars. I had an Emmons LeGrand that the strings felt like noodles, no matter what strings you put on so it has to be the design of the guitar being something wrong to feel lose and something right to have the tight feel

Chris Lucker

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2013 6:06 pm    

It is funny you ask if they made fat back Wraparounds -- the first couple, excluding prototypes, were almost No Backs. The rear apron was very slim, in fact, too slim, or too close to the top, for the cross shafts to mount on.

I would say that it was harder to put a Wraparound together as it took more hand fitting. Later guitars had design changes that were better suited for assembly line operations, bigger overlaps in the cabinets, heavier castings, easier places to mount screws, easier roller nut assemblies -- lots of changes. There is a lot going on with Wraparounds that you do not see if you do not know what you are looking for. That is why it is usually simple to spot a fake Wraparound, and why it is a shame when someone who does not truly have experience with restoring the very first Emmons guitars tries to apply what he knows about a 1970s Cut Tail.

Lots of guys will say that Emmons stopped making the Bolt-on because of instability with temperature changes. I think the fact that you cannot rod a Bolt-on if you are waiting for necks to arrive from the buffer may have had something to do with it. You can put together a Cut Tail if you are awaiting for necks.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 8:16 am    

I just love reading ANYTHING Chris Lucker says.... Thanks Chris for your passion in steel guitar and spreading your knowledge about it.
Ricky

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 8:49 am    

yes, we're lucky to have lucker looking over the locker of wraparound lore.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 9:51 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
We may never know. Whoa!

Only the bank knows for sure Winking

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2013 9:56 am    

Just off the top of my head, I'd say that's a $5,000
guitar.