The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Humidity controlled box for amp storage?
Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 7:13 pm    

I live in a very humid area south of Houston and close to the Gulf coast. I keep my gigging amps stored in my shop in garage, which is not always air conditioned. Can I build a small box big enough to hold 3 or 4 amps and put a low wattage heater in it to store my amps to keep the humidity from damaging / corroding amp electronincs and hardware (jacks)?

Has anyone done this successfully? Or, is there another method?

Thanx,
Jim

Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2013 8:07 pm     De-humidifying

Hi Jim,
If the amps are solid state. . . why not just leave them turned on?

We used to put a 40 watt light bulb in the wellhouse to keep the pump from freezing.

Sincerely,
Craig Baker 706-485-8792

cmbakerelectronics@gmail.com

C.M. Baker Electronics
P.O. Box 3965
Eatonton, GA 31024

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2013 3:41 am    

Hammond Organs used to come with a 'damp chaser', basically a 20w ceramic heater element screwed into a light socket... kept them dry and toasty inside. 20Wx24hours = 480w/h a day... at 12cents a KW/hr that's near to a nickel a day.

I don't see why you couldn't do this yourself... use a 20w light bulb. Either that, or some calcium carbonate in a baking pan... you can bake the CC to dry it up again, it's available with blue/red indicator dye to let you know when it needs baking again.

None of these will work unless the enclosure is fairly tight... but too much wattage could cause problems with heat too. Good luck!

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2013 5:10 am    

However you proceed, get a good hygrometer first and experiment. I'd shoot for an environment with 40% to 50% relative humidity.

Jim Bates

Alvin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2013 7:14 am    

Thanks for all suggestions. I have accidently left on my rehearsal amp a couple of times (single channel Sho-Bud) in our house overnight. In the middle of the night we got a loud scream and screech then dead quiet which really makes you jump out of bed. Both times this happened, even though it sounded like the amp was blowing up, no after affect was ever noticed.

Being a piano tuner for many years, I am very familiar with the Dammp-Chaser brand de-humidifiers (low wattage heaters in a tube), and have several on hand that I could select the best to use. Obviously would need to design an air-flow through the box to avoid a hot spot which light bulbs can create.

In the meantime, I will leave my amps 'ON' in shop and check regularly. My old Gibson vintage tube amp really needs the box, it could provide a lot of heat for the box, BUT not a good idea, safety wise.

Thanx,
Jim