INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Steel Amp: Quilter Labs Steelaire
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post Posted 16 Aug 2013 11:01 am     Reply with quote

One more new steel amp:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/19508-summer-namm-13---quilter-labs-steelaire-demo

The Quilter Amps are high powered 200 watts light weight solid state amps and Patrick Quilter is also a steel guitar player Smile
Donny Hinson

Balto., Md. U.S.A.
Post Posted 17 Aug 2013 4:24 am     Reply with quote

It would have been nice to have a pedal steel playing on the NAAM demo instead of some guy banging away on a distorted Tele. (Oops! There I go...being critical again. Rolling Eyes )

Of course, I kinda suspect that pedal steels are mighty rare at the NAAM shows. Laughing
Johan Jansen

Europe
Post Posted 17 Aug 2013 10:18 am     Reply with quote

really a missed chance........
('Whoa!')JJ
Daniel Policarpo

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post Posted 17 Aug 2013 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

Apparantly NAMM is not a steel guitarist's natural habitat. Cool looking amp, though. I'd like to hear it.

Europe
Post Posted 17 Aug 2013 11:07 pm     Reply with quote

In Europe we have the Frankfurter Mess in Germany, you can compare that with the NAMM. To rent a boot or table there is very expensive, so it keeps away the steelguitarmanufacturers and small amp-builders, and also the steelplayers....
JJ
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post Posted 18 Aug 2013 3:42 am     Reply with quote

I hope we have a chance to check out the steelaire in Europe.
Douglas Schuch

St John, US Virgin Islands
Post Posted 18 Aug 2013 7:59 am     Reply with quote

Thomas, they have a European distributor, and also all their amps run on 100-240 volts. Now that is clever! Details on their website.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania
Post Posted 18 Aug 2013 8:39 am     Reply with quote

Here's a direct link to the youtube video (my browser isn't liking the premier guitar link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-susRlHJUtI

Of course, it only makes sense to demo a steel amp with steel and not distorted guitar. But this clip (I assume produced by Premier Guitar) was clearly aimed at Premier Guitar's audience - emphatically guitar, not steel players. To reach a wider audience, they reasonably want to add features to interest guitar players, who obviously outnumber steel players by a wide margin.

Note that there is a short snippet (from about 0:10 to 0:20) of clean, staccato Tele playing on this clip. Still, I couldn't tell much about how this amp would work for me, for either guitar or steel, from just this clip. I need to hear a wide range of the amp reacts to both guitar and steel in clean or subtly saturated modes (I assume saturation is modeled?) to know whether it's interesting or not.

I assume we'll hear lots more as they get closer to launch. Here's a thread (posted in For Sale: Amps and Accessories, not Electronics) about these amps - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=250755 - including replies from the CEO of Quilter.