The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Knee Lever Names
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2013 7:06 pm    

Have to state my 2 cents. How many steel players use sheet music when they play steel? Don't think too many. All that talk about E#, or Fb, basically only pertains to the correct writing of music, in theory. You have 7 sharps, and 7 flats, that in written music you would use as the key to the song. That's when the notes on written music has to be correct. When we play, we just play in the key that fits the singer. If it would be called C#, or Db, we start our 1 chord on the same fret. In writing music, if you write it in C#, you have a bunch of sharps, and in Db, it's all flats, but the sound comes out the same.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 4:57 pm    

I got rid of my E to E#'s lever and replaced them with an E to F lever . Much more versatile Smile

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 5:14 pm    

Ronnie, it's not just for writing. When discussing the notes, it can occasionally mislead or confuse to call a note by its enharmonic. One can internalize intervals so as to work with them reflexively, but if you actually have discussion with others, then it doesn't help to call the first interval in a root position C# chord a diminished fourth, which it is if you call it F.
Now one could probably rejoinder with "I'll bet you're one of those weenies who was telling everybody '2000 isn't the millennium, that's 2001!'."
Yeah, what's your point?

Last edited by Lane Gray on 5 Aug 2013 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 6:34 pm    

Ronnie Boettcher wrote:
Have to state my 2 cents. How many steel players use sheet music when they play steel? Don't think too many.

I do, sometimes. But sheet music in C# is very rare, and Db gives me fits.

I also lose control when a chord chart in the key of F has an A# chord. On one hand you can say that it's the same as a Bb, but, as Lane pointed out, it's sometimes misleading to use the enharmonic name. It's confusing to think of Am and A# chords in the same key (F).

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 9:59 pm    

Clearly there is way too much confusion here, so in order to simplify things I propose we name the E to F knee lever "The Mike Lever", E to Eb or D#, will be "Fred" (my middle name) and the 2nd string lower should be named "Perl."

Voila. Problem solved. Laughing

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2013 4:31 am     Much todo about not much...

When I play, I never think about it. When I write my simple tab, I try to think about what the reader might have to consider, but normally call them by what they do or where they go sonically. That mostly works with a few exceptions. And then again there is the mood I'm in at the time. If I used and named them what I really think about a few of the changes on my steel, my short tab sheets would take pages.

Flippin hard pulling 3rd string note altering knee thingie!

You could name them after fruit, ie. Apple, Banana, Cherry...

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2013 9:37 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Clearly there is way too much confusion here, so in order to simplify things I propose we name the E to F knee lever "The Mike Lever", E to Eb or D#, will be "Fred" (my middle name) and the 2nd string lower should be named "Perl."

Voila. Problem solved. Laughing

I'll go with that. And we can name the 5th knee lever the "Dick lever". Laughing

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2013 9:43 am    

Alan, you skipped over the fourth knee lever, which should clearly be "Zeppo". Or "Shemp".

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2013 10:38 am    

So the G# raise that has replaced the G raise is "Curly Joe"?

Gerald Shaw

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2013 1:59 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
So the G# raise that has replaced the G raise is "Curly Joe"?

Actually this makes more sense then the way it's done now. Assign a function (E lower) a name. It means E lower weather it's on LKR or RKL. Franklin Pedal is a good example. It's not a number, or a letter, it's a name and people know what it does. Getting everybody to buy into the naming scheme would probably be impossible, but I'd be fine with.